World Cup "curve" 1930-1982-2034

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Auriaprottu, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There was a fun little thread here a couple years ago detailing the coincidental similarities between each of the the five Cups held before 1982 and its post-1982 mirror image. For example, Argentina won in 1978 and 1986, West Germany in 1974 and 1990, Brasil in 1970 and 1994, host and first time winners France (1998) and England (1966), Brasil again in 1962 and 2002. Does anyone have a link to the site that info came from? Thanks in advance.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    judging by that looks like brazil to win it again in 2006, god i hope not.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It would also mean that they won't win anymore afterwards. Happy now? Also, if it keeps you from soiling your panties, Brasil doesn't have to win. A win by Argentina (CONMEBOL team wins in Europe, like '58) or a German loss to anyone in the final (host nation loses in the final, like '58- that's not such a strong connection, tho) would keep the pattern alive. What will be interesting, if all this does continue, is the 2014 Cup, which IIRC is likely to be held in Brasil- like 1950.

Don't get me wrong- I don't believe for a minute that there's anything going on here but coincidences. But it does make for interesting conversation that the last five Cups have gone as they have, in reverse to the five before Italy's '82 triumph.

4. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Here it is:

[​IMG]

In fact, it begins in 1950.

My post about it on the "Brazilian 'superstition tree' " thread (Brazil forum):

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks! Rep given.

But it doesn't really begin in 1950. It began in 1986. I mean, I know the chart you provided begins with 1950, but there wasn't anything for the Mirror Theory to "reflect" until after 1986. Up 'til then, it was just a normal series of Cups and winners. What is Brazilian about it? Did someone in Brasil make some sort of prediction way back when that this would happen?

I'm curious about what the theorists had to say before 1998, when the mirror's reflection was still perfect- three Cup winners. Stands to reason that England should have been the "chosen" team- but France won. My question is, did the theorists correctly predict a French win, or did they (logically) predict an English win and offer up the host/first Cup win/Eusebio/Suker connection (which is still reasonably weird) as a substitute only after the '98 final?

BTW, if the "tree" continues as it has done thus far, Brasil will win in 2006, but never again. The Selecao would lose at home in 2014, and the final World Cup would be held in 2034. Armageddon, anyone? :D

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    So what should we expect for 2010?

1954 was hosted by Switzerland due to a special circumstance of it being FIFA's 50th anniversiary (kinda like how South Africa got to host due to a "special circumstance" of the new 'rotating continents'). So we already have a start!

The 1954 cup format was changed from the 1950 one. There is already talk about expanding the field to 36, which would be a change from the 2006 one, so there is another possibility.

Also, one of the best teams of all time (Hungary) came into the cup on a rampage, destroying every team they faced, before being upset in the finals by Germany, a team they had defeated 8-3 in the group stage. Does this mean there will be some amazing Eastern European team (possibly Czech Republic?) who will seem absolutely unbeatable heading into the 2010 World Cup, make it all the way to the final only to lose to some "weaker" team they had already defeated... like Germany?

7. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    I clearly remember that before the 1998 WC there was a joke going around about the Mirror theory, and that it suggested England would be winners in 98.

In fact I was living in Germany at the time and I remember going round proudly showing my German friends the 'proof' of England's imminent victory :)

So I suppose the host nation/first-time winners thing was invented afterwards as a way of explaining France's shock win :D

8. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Everybody loves a conspiracy, me included. After all, it provides some sort of logic for us to be able to think coherently.

It begins in 1950 because there was a gap after the 1938 WC. So, we don't know what could have happened in 1942 and 1946. But the 'curve' starts in 1986.

In fact, there is nothing Brazilian about it. As I said, I've heard about the Pyramid Theory in 1993, a yeard before the World Cup. By the time it came around again, in 1997, there were two possible 'winners': England and the host nation. I thought it was funny and ridiculous at the same time. England? France? C'mon! But... :(

It could start again in 2018! But 2014 frightens me more than losing in 2006!!! :eek:

Now just think about Pelé and Ronaldo. :)

1958 - Champs-with Pelé/2006-?-with Ronaldo
    1962-Champs-Pelé/2002-Champs-Ronaldo
    1966-Pelé/1998-Ronaldo - both with serious problems
    1970-Champs-Pelé/1994-Champs-Ronaldo

9. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ronaldo (or Ronaldinho (meaning little Ronaldo)) as he was called in the 1994 World Cup (due to an older player allready haveing the nickname) didn't actually start any games in USA 94. Pele played a major part in all 3 of his World Cup wins.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasn't certain Ronaldo even got onto the pitch in '94. Did he?

But in terms of the "connection", he was there on the team, so it would still fit.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    How about a chart showing the location of WC finals and the winners. Has a non-Euro team ever won in Europe?

12. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Yes, but he was there. :)

13. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Only one nation won outside its own continent: Brazil, in 1958 (Europe) and in 2002 (Asia).

14. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    So there's nothing on this that states when America will win it then...at least not until 2010.

15. ferx203

ferx203 Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Chile
    Since 1962...

European Host - European Winner.
    1966 : England.
    1974 : Germany.
    1982 : Italy.
    1990 : Germany.
    1998 : France.
    2006 : An European Team

Non-European Hosts - South American Winner.
    1962 : Brazil
    1970 : Brazil
    1978 : Argentina
    1986 : Argentina
    1994 : Brazil
    2002 : Brazil
    2010 : A South American Team.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Year Winner- Host, Continent
    1930- Uruguay- Uruguay, South America
    1934- Italy- Italy, Europe
    1938- Italy- (I think)France, Europe
    1950- Uruguay- Brasil, South America
    1954- West Germany- (I think)Switzerland, Europe
    1958- Brasil- Sweden, Europe
    1962- Brasil- (I think)Chile, South America
    1966- England- England, Europe
    1970- Brasil- Mexico, North America
    1974- West Germany- West Germany, Europe
    1978- Argentina- Argentina, South America
    1982- Italy- Spain, Europe
    1986- Argentina- Mexico, North America
    1990- West Germany- Italy, Europe
    1994- Brasil- USA, North America
    1998- France- France, Europe
    2002- Brasil- Japan/Korea, Asia

Brasil (1958 Europe, 1994 North America) and Argentina (1986 North America) have won outside their home continent.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --The CZECH REPUBLIC?!?!?! look i know they had a good euro 2004, but so did greece. pavel nedved retired from international play, and theyre in 4th in their qualifying group right now......coming back down to earth

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Depending on your definition of continent you can extend that to Brazil winning in USA '94 and Mexico '70 and Argentina winning in Mexico '86. But both Argentina and Brazil were massively favored by the population in Mexico, they played like they were at home.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not trying to turn this into a geography lesson, but no reasonable definition of "continent" would combine North and South America, yet separate Europe and Asia.

Mexico was simply the venue at the time- Brasil '70 would have been favored against any NT anywhere in the world, except perhaps the '58 team. There are some good things to be said for Hungary '54, but they failed without Puskas (or with an injured Puskas, don't recall if he played the final). The greatest teams win the important matches, and sometimes that requires depth.

As for 1986, Argentina had Maradona, which made them dangerous anywhere (obviously- he made them champions in '86), but I'll always wonder what happened to the Soviet Union. They crushed their group and were unfortunate not to advance any further than they did. Belgium, for some reason, did not play well against Argentina in the semis. Tele Santana should have instructed someone other than a just-on-the-pitch Zico to take the PK (I don't know if coaches do this at the professional level or not- might be left up to the players) that would have put Brasil ahead of France in the QF. That match stands out to me as the one that Brasil allowed to get away, even more than the horrid shooting performance by Brasil in the '90 second round. Of course, since Brasil screwed up that France '86 match and did not win, there can be no excuses.

20. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Well, the concept of three different continents (North, Central and South) is relatively new - for a thirtysomething like me at least ;) As we know, there is not a personal definition of what is a continent, but concepts change. Anyway, the American continent is a single portion of the globe known as the three Americas - in fact, anyone can search the internet and find hundreds of web sites about the American continent.

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2006 Brazil YUK!
    2010 Germany EEEK!
    2014 Uruguay IS THERE A GOD?
    2018 Italy THANK GOD
    2022 Italy THANK GOD AGAIN
    2026 Uruguay THERE REALLY IS SUCH A THING AS A MIRACLE.

Despite my comments it better not follow this pattern.

22. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    World Cup Curve? Ah Humbug!

I think the favourites are in three groups: 1) The Favourite; 2) Co-favourites; and 3) Contenders 4) Outsiders/Honourable Mentions

1) Brazil

2) Argentina, England, Portugal, Italy

3) France, Spain, Netherlands, Germany

4) African side(Ghana, Morocco, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, etc.), Czech Republic(may not qualify), Greece(fluke - may not even qualify), and Sweden.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    geography lesson needed immediately

24. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    You don't need a geography lesson. As I said, there are different cultural perspectives.

I suggest you take a look at this site and follow the information on this specific topic (it's very interesting!):

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Continent

Definition of Continent

A continent (from the Latin "continere" for "to hold together") is a large continuous mass of land on the planet Earth.

There is no single standard for what defines a continent, and therefore various cultures and sciences have different lists of what are considered to be continents.

(...)

Two of the largest disagreements in listing continents are whether Europe and Asia should be considered separately or combined into Eurasia, and whether North America and South America should be considered separately or combined into America. A few geographers have also suggested grouping Europe, Asia, and Africa into a continent of Eurafrasia (see Africa-Eurasia).

(...)

The seven continent model is taught in parts of Western Europe and North America, while the six continent (combined Eurasia) model is also taught in North America and is the primary continent model used in scientific contexts. The six continent (combined Americas) model is commonly taught in Europe and South America. The five continent model is normally taught in the United Kingdom.

The continents of the "five continents" model (as shown by the five Olympic Games flag rings) are speculated to be the five permamently populated continents (viewing Antarctica as only temporarily populated, and all the Americas as one).

(...)

Seven Continents: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia (Oceania), Europe, North America, and South America.

Six Continents: Africa, Antarctica, Australia (Oceania), Eurasia, North America, and South America.

Six Continents: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia (Oceania), and Europe.

Five Continents: Africa, America, Australia (Oceania), Antarctica, Eurasia.

Five Continents: Africa, America, Oceania, Europe, Asia.

Four Continents: America, Australia (Oceania), Antarctica, Eurafrasia.

Be well :)

25. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    I was wrong! :)