World Cup city/venue posters

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Fans & Travel' started by zdog, Apr 27, 2010.

1. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    Does anyone know if World Cup venue posters (i.e. the city-specific posters) are being sold in South Africa?

The FIFA web site only lists the general poster for sale (in the States this is showing as $24.95, accessing the site from Europe it looks like €26.48; I suspect this is less in South Africa).

I picked up all of these in Germany 06 and France 98 (they were for sale), and in Korea too (where they were not for sale, but you could get them from the local mayors offices). I will be in South Africa for the World Cup and am wondering if these are for sale, or on display, yet, and how much they might cost (and where to pick them up).

ps You can view all of the posters here --> http://www.marklives.com/wordpress/?p=357.

2. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Great idea mate,sorry I can't help

3. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Will trawl the shops - have not seen anything yet though - only billboards

4. lutzno

lutzno New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i really want to buy that one poster of the guy whos head is in the shape of africa. the official poster. anyone got any clues?

5. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    Thanks Gronum!
    I'll post here if I find any answers.

6. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Makro (www.makro.co.za) R49 each - 4 different ones - 3 of Zakumi (the mascot) holding a flag, kicking the ball and running and the AFrica Head with a soccer ball. On sale till 10 May - not sure how much they will be after then. Also cannot tell how big they are. Also other merchandise - vuvuzelas, jerseys scarves, mugs and other crap. Can buy the poster for you if you are desperate - will have to come and get it in Pretoria though.

7. lutzno

lutzno New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i dont know where you see the africa poster?

there are no pictures

8. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know - nothing on the site but I have a catalogue! Just gave the site name in case you saw something else you liked! The poster is yellow, africa seems almost double printed and the dude is looking up at a soccer ball. Little fifa badge in the corner and 2010 fifa world cup south africa written on Africa.
    I am an idiot - googled it!
    [​IMG]

9. danielsilano

danielsilano Member

May 11, 2009
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    How much is the bafana bafana shirt?

10. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    Thanks Gronum! I'll be in Pretoria for the USA-Algeria match, but will hold off on the poster for now (until I know the size).

11. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The official ones are between R400 and R600 - very expensive. You can get knockoffs for around R200. Do not buy at the airport - very expensive!! Will keep my eyes posted but you can check http://www.makro.co.za/content/MNAT2374_doc~2.pdf - shows the clothes and the posters and other merchandise.

12. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Can you ask the moderators to change this thread to World Cup Posters and Memorabilia? Else we will get a thread for jerseys, a thread for soccer balls and a thread for those touristy wooden giraffes. Thanks!

14. danielsilano

danielsilano Member

May 11, 2009
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    How much are the wooden jiraffes in a non touristic place? As I'll be in Louis Trichard, hope there I can find those craftmanships for a cheap price

15. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. danielsilano

danielsilano Member

May 11, 2009
    Club:
    Argentinos Juniors
    and what about the price for a SA football team's jersey (orlando pirates, etc)?

17. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You'll find them next to the road usually on the way to the Kruger Park. I am sure in Louis Trichard and definitely in Hartbeespoort on the way to Rustenburg. Also in most cities but they are a bit more expensive. Don't buy them in a shop - rip off. The same for Beaded wire items - have seen the most beautiful World cup trophies! Not sure how much the Giraffes are any more.
    In pretoria you will find them at the Irene market and Hatfield market and in Jhb at the Rosebank market. Irene - every 2nd and last saturday of the month. Rosebank - every sunday. Hatfield - last Sunday of every month.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Zakumi - from R99
    Makaranga - from R250 although you can get cheaper ones that are not cut out but pasted on.
    Bafana R400 to R700 for the real thing. Same for Local clubs like Pirates and Chiefs. Can get cheaper knock offs though.

19. JamesENicholson

Feb 18, 2005
    Am looking for the posters as well. I have not had much luck. Anyone?

20. lutzno

lutzno New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    flag world

21. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    maybe this thread is more appropriate :-
    2010 Official Guide Book on Sale

The 2010 FIFA World Cup Official Guide Book has all you need to know about the greatest sporting event hosted by South Africa – 144 pages of football-only content will keep any fan very happy.

The guide looks at the three world superstars who should set the tournament alight – Lionel Messi, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.

An interview with Bafana Bafana star Steven Pienaar gives an inside look at how the team is preparing for the tournament. There’s also an in-depth analysis of who could emerge as overall winners – any number of sides are capable of lifting the trophy on Sunday, 11 July.

For the history buffs, there’s a summary of all previous 18 tournaments. You’ll also find an overview of all 32 teams competing, as well as a look at the 10 fabulous stadiums playing host to the 64 matches.

Produced by Touchline Media (who owns KICK OFF) for FIFA, the guide is available at newsagents countrywide for R49.95.

22. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    Now that things have just about started, I thought I'd ask again:

Has anyone seen World Cup venue posters available anywhere in South Africa? (I collect these.)

On a related note: The main World Cup poster seems to have disappeared from the online FIFA World Cup store, at least when accessed from the United States (using a proxy, I can see the main poster for sale from the FIFA site if you live in Hong Kong -- rather strange). I can purchase a lot of three (main poster + the Zakumi poster + the Joburg poster) through eBay, but I suspect these are fakes (and I am not terribly interested in the Zakumi poster anyway).

23. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Have only seen the Africa head poster - try Exclusive books shops.

24. Aly02

Aly02 New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  25. zdog

zdog Member

Apr 18, 2006
    akatime / virginia
    FYI I ended up finding all of the city posters except for ones for Cape Town and Polokwane.

For those in South Africa who are interested, the best place appears to be Sneakers, followed by CNA. Independent frame and/or poster shops may have them as well. (We bought from all three of these places.) Based on chats with locals, some Exclusives and even a few Pick-N-Pay stores carry them, but we never found them there. A number of places at JNB airport carried them but are now all sold out (and apparently unlikely to get more). I haven't found these on-line anywhere. Sneakers is probably your best bet. Prices for standard size range from ZAR 49-79 (varied by store)

(If anyone knows where I can track down the Cape Town and Polokwane ones, please PM me.)