World Cup buildup... it's not too early.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by kanonier, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    That is an interesting perspective because if I were to describe the way they typically play it would be 'pragmatic.' They just grind out results as the tactics dictate, yet without playing Italian-style cattenaccio.

2. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    ESPN the Mag's cover this week: "Meet America's Best Hope at the World Cup....Too Bad Giuseppe Rossi Plays for Italy"

Where's the cancel button?

3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His nuts, indeed. ;)

It doesn't seem like anyone is giving holland a chance. I think they are stacked with talent that is on-form at the moment. I don't know much about their back 4, but their midfield and attackers are class.

4. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I must be daft....I don't get it.

If they're saying that "America's" favorite team is Italy they're nuts. It might be in Boston, NY etc but not in Cali, Texas, or Chicago.

5. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you are unaware of Rossi's history, he had the choice of playing for the US or Italy. He chose Italy.

Slightly off-topic, if Italy wins again, I'll be stabby.

6. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Ah. So the answer is in...I'm daft. :eek:

Txs.

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Besides Spain there doesnt really appear to be any national teams that are not showing any cracks. Im kinda hoping for a random tournament i.e unlikely teams progressing further then expected. Imagine if Australia and Ghana leave Ze Germans behind in their group? Upsets like that i enjoy :D

8. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    How's the buildup for the Aus-Serbia match down there?

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My own view is that national traits die hard.

It's not that long ago that English Culture still had aspects of the Victorian Era. Professionals ranked lower than gentleman. That became a disadvantage in modern warfare for example, where English generals etc were typically pretty crap at the beginning of the war. Later it was on merit.

In UK football management you STILL see the whole 'who you are' being more important than what you've done.

Where the German mentality is often criticised is lack of innovation and rule breaking.

In my own experience I find german business to be quite risk adverse.

10. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do remember what happened to Spain in their last international tournament, don't you? Spain have the greatest collection of talent and stars, but stylistically they are very beatable.

11. enthusiast20

enthusiast20 New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL! what's with the brit hate?

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think we have too many players going to the World Cup - so we shouldn't have too much fatigue going into next season.

Sagna
    Fabregas
    Bendtner
    Song
    Eboue
    RVP
    Vela

Is Clichy still in the French team, or has he been replaced by Cissokho?

13. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Rossi is Jersey born and bred.

14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The US could have had Rossi and Subotic. Too bad.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi didn't get called up to Italy's pre-World Cup training roster. Looks like he'll be watching from home this time.

16. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather just have players who actually want to play for the national team as opposed to ones who feel no connection or think they're too good.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Choosing to play for a European country doesn't mean you think you're too good, or that you don't feel connected to the US. It can just mean you are giving priority to your club and don't want a long commute for NT games interfering with your career.

18. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    you mean david regis didnt do much for ya? :p

19. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Really? Has there been a history of that? I always assumed that good players like Rossi or Hargreaves just wanted to play for the best team possible, like getting on the best club possible?

But like you said...getting on good teams means getting benched...and in international play you can't ask for a transfer so it sounds like he's hosed.

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that playing their NT games in Europe was a contributing factor, along with family loyalties. But Rossi knew what he was getting into, he turned the US down before the last World Cup, when he'd never been called up by Italy.

And i'm also thinking of Vela, who is going to the World Cup, but his progress at the club level has been hampered by playing his NT games on another continent.

21. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Yeah, that makes sense. It was the end of Gilberto too, IIRC.

I guess I just don't give them as much credit for being that thoughtful about it.

22. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this really so strong when european national teams fly all over the globe as well?

Wenger often complains about France flying to all corners of the Earth for pointless friendlies.

23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the difference between the occasional game and every game.

I don't mind flying over to Europe once or twice a year, but i wouldn't want to do it every month.

24. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not to mention European teams don't really fly 'all over the globe" either. Most of them have their friendlies with each other, and when it's an outside the confederation country they usually come to Europe. I can't personally remember the last time France left Europe for a friendly.

25. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many players seem to manage just fine with it. It seems the ones who fall into trouble with it are ones who lack the maturity and responsibility to actually show up to their return flight.

If, however, that was Rossi's intent - merely to avoid all of the travel - then fine on him. But everything I read on him indicated that he saw himself as Italian rather than American, spoke only Italian in his home and such.