World Cup buildup... it's not too early.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by kanonier, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thought it would be nice to have a thread to start to discuss the World Cup with some Gooners.

Who are you all rooting for? I'm all for the U.S., but barring that, it's Netherlands all the way.

I'm also wondering what you think the Starting XIs will be for the U.S. v England -- who will make it back in time?

2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Teams I like:
    USA
    France

Teams I like a little bit less, but would like to see do well:
    Spain
    Holland

Teams I want to see crash and burn:
    Argentina
    Brazil (what a disappointment this generation is)
    Italy
    Portugal

I'm also rooting for South Africa and the Asian/Oceania teams, other than Japan, to be eliminated in the group stage. I think of how deeply upset it would make so many South Africans that I know, and that fills me with glee.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think england can do it this time

france/italy are passed it

i dont rate brazil

spain dont like a prticular style of play aginst them and torres is in and out of fitness

argentina are screwed with diego at the helm

4. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, it does seem like more of a wide open competition this year. There are a bunch of teams that I could feasibly see winning.

I'd think England, Spain and Holland would be the favorites.

5. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    how do you not include brazil as one of the favorites?

6. dm3mdgtr

dm3mdgtr Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Mckinney, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to go out on a semi limb and say Davies, Gooch and Jones will be there for the US. We'll make it out of the group but lose the first round knockout.

I wouldn't say Italy are past it either. Isn't that what everyone was singing last time too?

Lastly, I wouldn't be upset if Drogba's leg shot right off his hip during a free kick and kit Ronaldo right in the eye, blinding him. Is that wrong?

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah, you're dreaming, England won't do anything. What with Terry banging everyone's wives. And that doesn't bother me too much; don't feel like seeing Rooney and Terry and all the other shitheads celebrating.

You're right about Argies though; Maradona is retarded.

Thinking Spain might do it. If not... feeling a bit of the USA :eek: :D

8. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not rooting for anyone in particular, but will be watching because the best players in the world will be there, and sometimes its fun to root for all the horses in the race.

The teams to beat:

1. Spain - World's best midfield. Two top class strikers. A bit small, so a physical battle would be a challenge. I can see them struggling against a team like Cote d'Ivoire.

2. Argentina - Probably the best collection of players in the tournament. Let's see if a coach like Maradona can put it together.

3. England - Everything's lining up for it to be their year. Barring injury, they will go in with the most depth of anyone in the tournament, and have Rooney peaking as an attacking force.

4. Germany - Once again, nobody's talking about Germany. Once again, they steamrolled their qualifying group. Once again, they will be the most organized and "club-like" squad at the World Cup.

5. Cote d'Ivoire - Athletic, dynamic, and powerful all over the pitch. Drogba, Kolo, Yaya, Eboue, Zokora, Kalou, Boka, Kone. If they can defend in the final third as well as they can play in the midfield and score goals, watch out.

6. Brasil - Maybe the most boring Brazilian team since 1990? Plenty of quality all over the pitch, but they seem to really lack a spark that other sides have had. Not sure if they've improved enough to win the tournament, but be sure they'll make their mark as usual.

I can't see anyone outside those 6 winning the whole thing, but the Netherlands, Cameroon, Italy, and France would be the only other sides who could get hot and make a run at it.

Sleepers? Australia, Denmark, The United States, and Nigeria.

Should be fun! I hope ESPN does it right here in the States, and doesn't just make it all about the USNT. There's a ton of stars on display, and it will be great if we get to appreciate their shine.

9. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    LMAO..that's the great thing about international football...you can hate those scummers all over again!

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Teams I'd like to see do well:

1. Spain
    2. Holland
    3. USA

Teams I'd like to see fail, even though I don't hate them:
    1. France
    2. Argentina
    3. Brazil

Teams I'd like see fail miserably:
    1. Ivory Coast
    2. Portugal
    3. Italy

Team I'd like to see fail in an epic, must be recorded in song, manner:
    1. England

11. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    definitely not. maybe the best collection of forwards (messi, kun, tevez, higuain..) but their defense is terrible.

i don't see them having a formation that will accomodate all their attackers while providing enough support for their horrendous back 4.

12. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    yeah...if the US gets a draw it will be a minor miracle...at least our GKs are stronger than theirs! :D

13. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think people are discounting Argentina at their own peril. They won't really need their back four to be superb until the quarterfinals looking at their road, and by then if they're organized would you bet against Messi?

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll draw England at least, guarantee it! Not being a spazzo but think they're going to have an abysmal tournament. Unless Rooney lights everyone up which is a possibility.

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sigh

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the world cup forum

16. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think you are giving argentina too much credit based on their name. they really struggled in the qualifying stages, and messi was not the dominant player he is when with barcelona.

we'll see come june. it'll be interesting to see the squad maradona takes. he used so many players during qualifying, it's hard to get a sense of who will go, and how they will set up tactically.

17. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    England look like Italy from the last tournament. Alot of player very good at what they do assembling at the right time of their careers. Don't expect them to blow people away, but if they don't collapse under the weight of expectation (which is significant), they should make a pretty significant run.

18. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    I'm sure they will do it justice. Can't say much from experience for the last one since I was there for a chunk of it. ;) But from what I saw on the earlier rounds and the Final, it was great coverage.

Remember those great commercials with U2 music? Can't wait!!

19. FabregasTED

FabregasTED Member

Jan 2, 2007
    New Haven, CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Their name means nothing to me. Their players matter. Their coach is a moron, but I think they'll get him help before June.

20. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of the weather, I have a feeling that it will play greatly into England's favor. I have this feeling they're going to do really well, although I have no interest in seeing them do well. Their arrogance annoys me.

If the US come with a "we're just happy to be here and we have nothing to lose" attitude, then they will do well. If Bardley tries to play tactics and tries to contain any opposition, we will get stung. I have no doubt about that in my mind.

I want to see all African teams do well. I think the tournament will be so much more exciting if we get to see the home country and others like Ghana and the Ivory Coast advance far.

My dream final: USA v.s. Ivory Coast :D

21. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    This one gave me goosebumps:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y88bokAdLso"]YouTube- World Cup- Anthem[/ame]

22. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    World Rivalries-Arsenal Edition!

23. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STFU boludo! :p

24. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    haha, I hope not. That wasn't my intention. Just wanted a place to discuss the WC with ya'll (I don't really visit other forums) and post related new stories, etc. as we get closer.

25. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]