World Cup 2022 Qualifying General Topic [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by EvanJ, Aug 18, 2020.

1. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Canada has a golden generation I think they could finish in the top 3 and Costa Rica manages to show up as well no matter how bad they look going into qualifying. A hex would have been more interesting given the spots on the line but I am glad they fixed the awful way they had teams qualifying before.

Easily the most competitive concacaf qualifying ever and the last few were very close. The only thing that will likely make this less dramatic is several countries will either already be out or in on the final day

edcalvi repped this.
  2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I agree with the Panamanian. I think the top 3 is pretty clear. CR is in a weird state of limbo now that they've fired ole boy after the CNL.

Yea, Canada might have a golden generation but I don't think it'll be enough to get an automatic spot.. their defense is super suspect and basing off their two performances against Haiti, I'm not entirely convinced they're there yet. They'll be a tough go tho, fasho.

I think Jamaica is a real dark horse as long as the new and improved player pool actually commits and the federation ain't on no bullshít and even then I'm still skeptical.

I think Gold Cup will give us a mini glimpse into what WCQ might look like for the other nations not named USA n Mexico.

DaniChandler and edcalvi repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bad night for penalty kicks as Panama's shot was saved and El Salvador shot over.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 of the 8, yes (Panama had a rough start under Christiansen, but credit where it's due, they clicked this month).

I'm not 100% sure El Salvador are better than Curaçao or Haiti right now... but then again, I haven't watched them under Hugo Pérez.

But this is absolutely going to be the toughest final round ever - between the teams involved, the smaller room for error and the multiple 3-game windows.

jagum, LordofBrewtown and DaniChandler repped this.
  6. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Sharing my game theory from Panama perspective for the first window in September, do you guys expect the same?.

Panama 2 vs. 1 Costa Rica: this is probably the weakest costa rican team that we have faced in many years and los ticos don’t have Head coach yet after they fired Ronald Gonzalez… I'm not saying they can’t grab points from us because it’s a consolidated CONCACAF powerhouse (we respect them) and they can make the engine work against all the odds… but this time it’s our now or never situation to win at home with confidence.

Jamaica 0 vs 1 Panama: last time we faced Jamaica in a major tournament was at the 2019 Gold Cup… they won with a penalty… but before that game we won at the Office and in Rommel Fernandez with relative ease. We are their boogey team in WCQ and I expect this trend will continue.

Panama 0 vs 0 Mexico: I expect a lot of suffering in this game because jamaican war won’t be easy and, as this is the last match for this window, the starters won’t be at their 100%. At the same time, Mexico would be in our home after visiting the always complicated visit to San Jose where they will need to sweat as always (even when los ticos are in their lowest shape). I’m being too positive in this match probably but every point that each of the teams can take from Mexico will be gold at the end.

Panama summary after the first window
    2 wins - 1 draw
    7 points out of 9
    3 goals scored
    1 goal conceded
    +2 goal difference

Probably at top 3… please let me dream a little bit hahah… cheers!

Catracho_Azul and edcalvi repped this.
  7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  8. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Hahah share your thoughts on H first 3 matches!

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Couldn't tell you. I'll have a more accurate reading after GC.

I really really don't fancy Panama's new coach. I think he's a fraud, but then again I'm a Leeds fans and his time at Leeds was absolutely shambolic. Coito, Berhalter, and Tata, all deploy some sort of high to mid press, I have a hard time believing he'll have a game plan for more experienced coaches in this Area. Kluivert is not a good coach, he's at best a Sporting Director, so I take the results vs Curacao with a grain of salt, but then again I'm open to being proven wrong this summer. The more the merrier!

DaniChandler and edcalvi repped this.
  10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I view the final round of qualifying as

Top tier - Mexico U.S

Next tier - talent level relatively equal - Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada

Bottom Tier - El Salvador - Panama

Caveats - Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama have stronger home field advantages than Jamaica, Canada, along with better qualifying experience

I think Panama is #7 and El Salvador is #8.

I'd put Honduras closer to #3 than the other teams currently in the "Next tier" but not in the "top tier" along with the U.S and Mexico.

Impossible to predict what position the majority of teams will finish in. A lot will come down to injuries, luck and form.

LordofBrewtown and edcalvi repped this.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can co-sign Panama winning at the Office... but they're going to drop points at home against Costa Rica. I've seen this movie too many times before to bet on Panama winning that one...

edcalvi and DaniChandler repped this.
  12. DaniChandler

DaniChandler Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Panama Canal
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Luis Fernando Suarez is the new heach coach of Costa Rica.

Good decision… very experienced, He has been at the World Cup two times, 2006 with Ecuador and 2014 with Honduras.

Catracho_Azul, edcalvi and Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, things just got tougher with CR.

Paul Calixte and DaniChandler repped this.
  14. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    He was actually my second choice, I was hoping Guima would take the reins.

But Suarez is a pretty solid coach, I hope he can facilitate the much needed generational change for Costa Rica.

edcalvi, Paul Calixte and DaniChandler repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.
    I would say Mexico is still favorites to finish comfortably ahead in the "ocho."

If we take a step back.........................basically Mexico just drew with the US in regular time at the Nations League on US soil. That actually, would be a better result for Mexico than the US in a WCQer. I understand Mexico wants to win every trophy, and the fans aren't happy with the style of play right now. But they'll be fine. They REALLY miss Raul Jimenez.

The US has an 11 game unbeaten streak against CONCACAF opponents. All of those games were at home or on neutral fields. So yes, its good, but isn't a reflection of WCQing.

edcalvi repped this.
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    EvanJ and Paul Calixte repped this.
  20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider

2h
    D.C. United approached about staging El Salvador's World Cup home qualifier Sept 2 at Audi Field vs US, source says. DC area is ES hotbed. RFK Stadium (decommissioned) no longer available. ES seeking alternatives because of pandemic-related crowd restrictions at home

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In USA Men, it was posted that FIFA won't let El Salvador play home games in another country.

The Octagonal starts in 39 days. I wish countries other than USA would announce stadiums and start times.

HomietheClown and wixson7 repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    All current reports are that both El Salvador and Honduras will play their home games at home, and will allow vaccinated fans in. But still vague confirmations on those.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Petition to rename this thread "The Ocho [R]"

It has such a cool ring to it. Giving me some real dodgeball vibes doe. lol

24. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After watching the Gold Cup to this point i feel your top tier is correct.. no real surprise as all teams are missing talent and the Mexicans/USA have more depth than the rest.

I feel Canada are next up now... Herdman has found the right formula to cover our weaknesses and play to our strengths. If we can press and play without fear , even on the road..the 3rd spot is there. Injuries will be a factor in these jam packed 3 game windows. I think this Octo will be sensational.

Panama have shown they will be right in the mix with any of these teams and El Salvador's energy and a few new faces have really given them a push. Can take on any team not in the top tier and get points. Every match day will be critical..

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not know why though.
    In previous cycles I remember Haiti and Jamaica playing a Qualifier in Miami.
    I also remember Costa Rica playing Guatemala in Miami too.

But those were not Hex/Octogonal matches so maybe they have stricter standards for the Final phase.