World Cup 2022 - Portugal vs Switzerland (R16)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    It's Dias or Pepe who have to focus more on him.

2. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    He’s the type of player that needs to be in great shape in order to perform and missing pre season really stuffed his rhythm. We saw his ordinary form after euro 2016 injury the knee tendinitis in 2012 and his first season at Juve.

He may play himself into form this tournament if we go far but the truth is he drops into the midfield spaces far too much which limits the effectiveness of Bruno & Bernardo. He doesn’t stretch the central defenders towards their own goal enough because he doesn’t enjoy having his back to goal.

Deep Pal, Bacalhau and Anti Santos repped this.
  3. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    I hope for the sake of the NT that he fully understands that his time here is finishing, I am starting to feel even the players are getting fed up of winning or losing, playing well or badly anytime the Media talks about Portugal is only Ronaldo, being good or bad things.

Must be said this enviroment is also created by Media who wants to generate clicks or bad stories about him, but even Fernandes having 2 decent games in the group stage no one mentions him because the Media only wants to speak about Ronaldo, I just want to have a normal NT without 1 superstar after he leaves, don't think it's even good on the pitch really.

With all that said I am going to feel hugely disappointed if we tomorrow don't play our best football, if we get knocked out at least I want to do it on a dominant way and not afraid of losing this.

4. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    without question. He banned the greatest cb Portugal ever produced, Tiago and bosingwa from the team. I'm pretty sure Bento a micro penis. The way he feuded with half the squad and banned them from the team, this dude def compensating for something.

lord knows who he would bar from the team next

NewLaw83 and Anti Santos repped this.
  5. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    We need to look forward, not backwards. No Bento and no Fisherman! Mourinho maybe, but maybe a more modern coach.

As one of the biggest fans of CR7, my patience with him is running out. He has to deliver tonight and be a leader, no waving hands about.
    If he really goes to Saudi Arabia, then I am done with him. I was expecting a gradual decline, but his fall seems to have been BIG! Unless there is still one last swan song left in him?

My mind says we are going out tonight, my heart says we can't go out tonight! Either way, my heart is forever for PORTUGAL because my lovely wife is Portuguese!

COME ON PORTUGAL!!!!!!

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Would be so disappointing if they go out today - This team has too much talent to go out in the Round of 16 but Switzerland nearly held Brazil so it's definitely not going to be easy. Wouldn't be surprised with any result.

7. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    It will be a difficult match, but if the Swiss score first, then they are very good at closing shop unlike us who are never safe even with a 2 goal advantage lol

Deep Pal and BatatasFritas repped this.
  8. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Portugal training. Come on Ronaldo a hat trick please :)

BatatasFritas repped this.
  9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Just noticed they topped their qualifying group ahead of Italy, while having 0 losses. After knocking out the World Cup champions at Euro 2020. This is going to be an extremely tough game.

Deep Pal repped this.
  10. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Good Morning ! I'm wearing my lucky cuecas ! ...Let's Go Portugal !!!

NewLaw83, JoseEmidio, trebaruna and 3 others repped this.
  11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Best of luck to all of us. Going to pick up my son at lunch time to watch the game with me. :D I told his teacher yesterday that this is a cultural event:D

12. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Last week in the morning it was parent-teacher meetings at my son's school and his teacher cut the meeting short cause of Portugal Uruguay game at 11. She's got the flags and everything on her car. I didn't take him out tho that's amazing

Deep Pal, NewLaw83 and BatatasFritas repped this.
  13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I feel tension within the group because of Ronaldo's poor attitude towards FS the other day. Him confessing that the attitude was indeed intended for him and speaking the way he felt about really tell us he must be pissed. Hope the incident won't have impact on the result.

14. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The only benefit to all this Ronaldo media hype is that it takes the spotlight off the other players. We can only guess at what the situation is behind the scenes unfortunately

15. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Moment of truth... Just a few hours away!

This team is special and no matter how the media tries to downplay our value and potential in this World Cup, I strongly believe that today we show the world that we're amongst the favorites.

I really hope Vitinha starts, he brings high energy and skill in the midfield. Definitely a player that can make a huge difference in recovering balls and to build up play and be more dangereous.

Cancelo to play in his usual LB City role. Dalot to take the RB spot, CROSSING MY FINGERS!

Ronaldo to shut the haters up, once more.

Força Portugal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deep Pal and artielange84 repped this.
  16. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Sounds like

Costa
    Dalot-Pepe-Dias-Cancelo
    William
    Silva-Fernandes-Otavio
    Felix-Ronaldo

17. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    It isn't confirmed yet but I hope Otávio is 100% fit and William delivers, we need that.

Ninho29 repped this.
  18. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He will go for his "trusted" and usual DM of William. It would be a huge surprise if he went with Palhinha. I don't think Neves impressed in that role so I doubt we see him there either.

William, I'm ok with. He's got experience, he's physical and has a good passing range. It's Otavio I'm unsure of... He's not bad but he's nothing special. I just don't think he's as dynamic and skilled as Vitinha. If he starts, he better be 100% fit.

We have to get behind this team, no matter what! We are about to witness some magic from Portugal!

VAMOS!!! POR-TU-GAL!!!

Anti Santos repped this.
  19. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    #119 Ramos77, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Sounds like Ronaldo is on the bench according to Record. Ramos to start

JoseEmidio, Caldo Verde and Bacalhau repped this.
  20. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    wow

21. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Huge if true.

22. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    RTP and SIC also reporting Ramos over Ronaldo

23. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    If it happens at least it has to work, Santos is making a bet here. I like it.

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    What a gamble. Or maybe not.

Anti Santos repped this.
  25. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I don’t see him being ok with it and swallowing his pride.

Surely if we get past this game it’s going to cause issues.

It’s the correct decision for the team given his poor form, and the disrespectful comments he made to Santos when he was subbed off.