World Cup 2022 - Portugal vs Switzerland (R16)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Dec 2, 2022.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Santos said he saw the images again and he "really didn't like it". However he says it's been dealt with internally. Which probably means absolutely nothing.

2. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    For those who think Ronaldo won't start, you are delusional.

I'm a massive Cristiano fan and he deserves all the respect in the world but I do also agree that he's having a hard time admitting that the end is near. It's sad but father time comes for everyone. He's going to have to understand that and not put that much pressure on himself to still be "the best" out there...

Even though he's not in his prime, I still believe Cristiano will bless us with some magical moments in this World Cup. It's just a gut feeling I'm having. Let's hope he capitalizes on his chances against the Swiss.

I think we should go with something like this;

-----------------------Costa-----------------------
    Dalot---------Pepe------Dias--------Cancelo
    --------------------Palhinha-----------------------
    --------Bernardo------------Vitinha-------------
    -------------------Fernandes---------------------
    ------------Felix---------------Ronaldo----------

However, I'm assuming Santos will go for William instead of Palhinha and maybe even Otavio in place of Vitinha.

I have faith in this team, VAMOS!!!

jec1 repped this.
  3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    He said "I didn't like it at all" which is a bit different than "I didn't really like it". And for him to say he didn't like it at all is a big deal IMO. He could have easily responded with just a cookie-cutter answer of "We're dealing with it internally". For him to say "I didn't like it at all" is telling. I'd say its a sign that people in the squad are getting sick of Ronaldo and his bullshit.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    True.

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    True but he will still start imo . All this changes is maybe Ronaldo is now on a much shorter leash this game .

6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

100%. Dude is losing the plot. Exposing himself as the narcissist he always was. Kidna excited for him to retire a fuck off a bit..

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Of course he'll start. His leash extends as far as the team goes in the tournament. He'll seemingly get a spot in the Starting XI throughout the tournament but once it's over, so is his NT career, most likely.

For what he's done in his career, and for the NT specifically, I believe that's fair. Especially if we consider the immediate alternative is Rafael Leao, who doesn't deserve anything to come his way. Leao's approach towards World Cup games is absolutely disgusting. He's done this shit before in others games but wow, I thought after winning Serie A MVP he'd have grown out of it - but to play at a World Cup like that...digusting.

jec1 and Bacalhau repped this.
  8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Idk hes already announced before he intends to play in euro 2024 which is only 18 months away

9. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    I checked the last time we played against them, their midfield was Xhaka/Freuller/Sow and the front 3 was Embolo/Seferovic/Shaquiri. Was that much different from what they used recently?

10. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    His cycle has to be closed after the WC. But honestly I am freaking about since Friday our Media only talks about him, as bad as he was there were a lot of poor performances on that game, I am disappointed with Cancelo and Bernardo Silva performnces for the NT, do I think they should get out of the 11 now? No.

It looks everyone is waiting that tomorrow we are knocked out, evryone is going to blame Ronaldo (of course if we win and he scores it will be the stupid thing we only won because of Ronaldo) and no one is focusing on what trully matters.

Why so many players in this team perform at Top Clubs and when they arrive here they look shit? I mean, Cancelo WC he looks Esgaio playing for Sporting, full of mistakes.

Bernardo is always anonymous, Leão looks a guy who plays for a Liga 3 club in Portugal when he goes into the final minutes, the Media should discuss this issues and not only one player who let's face it, he is nearing the end of his carrer.

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Based on merit he wouldn't even make this team currently. He's done - and if he's going to Saudi Arabia, that means even he knows he's done.

I bet he's absolutely awful to be around these days.

And honestly, it's ********ing pathetic that Fernando Santos is even shitting on Ronaldo the way he is. Who benefits from having the coach speak publicly against the national team's greatest ever player and current captain? Nobody but Portugal's opponents and Fernando Santos' ego. You have the coach of the team and the captain of the team publicly shitting on each other. At least Ronaldo did it in the heat of the game and is about 3 decades younger than Santos. Santos was once in charge of Ronaldo when CR7 was a teenager for ********'s sake. He should know better.

That locker room must absolutely suck right now and I cannot imagine it being conducive to success against Switzerland.

12. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
  13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are being distracted…lol! always fighting over the dumbest things. Ronaldo has value and I don’t care that you hate him, he can still help this team.

He just needs to show up in these KO games then you can criticize him. If he didn’t play, “oh he should’ve played” gimme a break!

Anti Santos repped this.
  14. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
  15. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    True, but the video doesn't lie.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Piers Morgan, is that you?! *wink*

17. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Come on, we have guys posting here crap by Visão de Mercado. Any person that lives here in Portugal knows this guys only post Anti Ronaldo shit, I was blocked by one of them in Twitter because I asked him why they never posted good things about him.

18. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    #68 Anti Santos, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Yeah, videos posted by Visão de Mercado have a lot of credibility really. Now if everyones believes it's just dropping him tomorrow and the team will be ok so be it. But since Friday there's an agenda on the Media to drop him that's reaching levels of sickness honestly.

19. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Its from Sic
    It's from Sic noticias.

20. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    This was before or after Santos press conference today?

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruno/CR drivel was blown out of proportion… by English media.

you’re right!

Anti Santos repped this.
  22. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let’s goooooooooo PORTUGAL!!!

*positive vibes*

Paposeco, benficafan3 and Anti Santos repped this.
  23. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    And it's repeated as if was true by the majority of English comments sections I had the chance to read.

Ok fine, if the media wants him dropped so be it, would be better being knocked out with him on the bench for everyone to see that beside being badly coached this team is full of Mendes hyped players who aren't as good as the Media tells us they are.

jec1 repped this.
  24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Shut the haters up…

[English media]

*cough*

Anti Santos repped this.
  25. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Brazil is the most talented team imo but for Paul Bento to go all out against this team ? Wow