World Cup 2022 - Portugal vs Morocco (QF)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Sumol, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #1 Sumol, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Portugal vs Morocco
    FIFA World Cup Quarterfinal
    Saturday, December 10th
    9:45am ET

Vamos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deep Pal, eurodad, JoseEmidio and 2 others repped this.
  2. bond284

bond284 Member

Dec 14, 2004
    CT, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its getting spicy now. Best not look at the bracket and only zero in on Morocco. Any team left should not, under any circumstances, be underestimated.

Would be absolutely unthinkable starting CR7. Team was absolutely playing in an incredible flow vs the Swiss, now pray they can fire on all cylinders again.

Deep Pal and jec1 repped this.
  3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Finally, a weekend game

Deep Pal, Ninho29 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hold the line, Portugal!

[​IMG]

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Absolutely - much respect to Morocco they're the feel good story of the Cup. But it's gonna end on Saturday :D

Deep Pal and Bacalhau repped this.
  6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup. Morocco are a sneaky team.

But go all out like we did today.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #7 Sumol, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Hopefully our players can get through the whistles everytime they have the ball, this will be like a hostile away game.

Nobody has as much travelling fans as Morocco. They are relentless with the whistles. They seem to have affected Spain, Belgium & Canada.

Tough team with very obnoxious fans.

8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was thinking if you we go to penalties we got Costa who is fenomenal but Yassine Bounou against spain was marvellous, rather not tempt fate.

9. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh no, not the whistles!!!

It's the players we need to worry about, dude. :D

benficafan3 repped this.
  10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Did you not read the part where I called them a tough team? Cagao.

11. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I passed by the grocery store this morning while Spain and Morocco were shooting pens and there was a small area with a tv. Some Moroccan fans were watching and going crazy for every kick

A lot of passion with these fans for sure.

Deep Pal repped this.
  12. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Moroccans and the Portuguese are very similar people really.

13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Really?

14. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I think Spain lost the match before the start already. Psychologically, they looked shaken.

15. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    At least South of Coimbra they are. :D

Just kidding, much respect to our Moroccan friends!

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Will Santos play the same players? Or will he think he needs to get fresher players in?

Does Cancelo get back in for Guerreiro on the left side?

Otavio played great but does he try Vitinha in this one? Palhinha for William?

Knowing Santos, it probably will be the exact same line up... Your thoughts?

18. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wonder if we shouldn't rest Pepe. A bit of a gamble, but it's either now or never.

Otavio needs to stay on. William....wouldn't mind resting/replacing him.

Bacalhau and Ninho29 repped this.
  19. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'd love to be able to rest Pepe but that's a HUGE gamble for sure! He's bee rock solid for us and such a great leader, especially if Ronaldo isn't starting. He's the captain (then Bruno).

Maybe keep it the exact same but replace William with Palhinha/Neves?

20. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    So who else thinks Ronaldo starts next game? I think he will be in the lineup and I think its the right move against this opposition. Morroco will park the bus and sit back, which won't give space and freedom for players like Ramos to shine. It will be a slow methodical build up and crosses into the box, the one area where Ronaldo is still great at, heading the ball. If we get past Morroco then I think Ramos replaces him and hes on the bench vs England or France. Same thing if we got to the final. I think thats the best way to utilize Ramos and Ronaldo, any team thats going to sit back and absorb pressure then that's a game where you want Ronaldo in the lineup, any team thats going to control more of the possession and attack us you can't have Ronaldo in anymore.

Deep Pal repped this.
  21. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    #21 Caldo Verde, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    No, he should not start the game and it wouldn't be the right move no matter who the opposition is.

All of us who thought Ronaldo being dropped would drastically improve the team were so utterly vindicated yesterday and there are STILL people who think Ronaldo should start?

Edit - And your reasons for doing so don't really make sense either. Take this for example:

"any team thats going to sit back and absorb pressure then that's a game where you want Ronaldo in the lineup"

That's exactly how Switzerland plays.

"Slow, methodical build up" is also how Spain played against Morocco for 120 minutes and they had no success, and they do that better than anyone else in the world. You also won't break down a low block like Morocco's just crossing it into the box all game which is probably what will happen if Ronaldo plays.

Not to mention that crossing it into the box for Ronaldo is what they did all group stage against much weaker defences and it had no success. Ronaldo had multiple chances where he had clear headers and he did nothing with them. So it seems like he can't even do that anymore.

Deep Pal and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  22. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Ronaldo will start but objectively shouldn't. I honestly don't mind, though. He earned it, I'm sick of the anti crowd relishing his end.

It was sad watching him not being able to chase simple through balls or being offside by a mile. It didn't matter yesterday, but it might soon.

But if there's one game where he could be useful it's the next one. Morocco will be tight at the back and compact, so it's more about positioning than running.

23. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    So you realize he's shouldn't be starting but you still want him to start just to stick it the da haterz. This pretty much sums up everyone blindly defending him.

I don't give a shit about being "anti-Ronaldo" or wanting to see him fail. All my points are based on what I think is best for the team.

Deep Pal and JoseEmidio repped this.
  24. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's called loyalty. It has a price sometimes.

You don't chuck your captain to the side like he's old garbage. He gave a lot to us over many years, that's worth something to me.

And believe me, it's the type of things that makes future generations want to give everything to the team.

artielange84 repped this.
  25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He can still be useful from the bench. A captain can motivate his team from the sidelines and he can come in to the game afterward.

Deep Pal, JoseEmidio and palynka repped this.