World Cup 2022 - Portugal vs Ghana

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by figueira, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All Santos needs to do is get the 11 right and get the hell out of the way. As seen today, it’s not that simple.

Danilo isn’t a CB, I’ll take Pepe on one leg over him.

Attack was bad, endless crossing to Ronaldo hoping he’ll get on the end of one. Played more fluid going forward when we had no other option.

Expecting to go out the same way as last two major tournaments at this rate. Lacking any ideas.

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like someone suggested… Leao/Ramos/Felix start.

attack, attack, attack… stop relying on CR to save us (santos wants that)

JP is a big bruiser in mf, Pepe over Danilo… and start Jose Sa (although I think patty will start)

3. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That’s the easy solution but Santos is stuck in 2016. and it’s not fair to guerreiro tbh, he doesn’t even play as a LB at his club team.

SCP_16 repped this.
  4. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Rinse and repeat. I don't see Neves as good enough to start for Portugal, the hype he has since Lopetegui promoted him with 17 years old to Porto first team doesn't match with his performances.

Of course Cancelo, Danilo, Guerreiro, Diogo Costa, Bernardo Silva also were bellow what is expected from them.

It's not popular to say this but Fernandes received and receives a lot of stick when he plays badly for the NT and don't know why Bernardo never gets the same treatment.

He is a likeable guy but come on he rarely does something special for the NT, and Cancelo first and foremost needs to focus on being reliable from a defensive point of view.

At least let's see if we are able to pick a point against Uruguay, if we lose that game and they make 7 points even if we qualify we will be trashed by Brasil, make no mistake, and by God if I want to watch the brasilians I know here in Portugal smiling to my face when we get pumped by them.

5. Dr. Silva

Dr. Silva Red Card

Sporting
    Portugal
    Mar 11, 2022
    Boston, MA
    The Korea game will be critical.. I'm predicting a draw or loss against Uruguay, we play like sh*t against aggressive teams which is EXACTLY WHY we need to start Palhinha, Antonio Silva or Pepe... I can't believe they actually let themselves get bullied by Ghana today, Portugal has some tough hombres but today they seemed their tails were tucked. Granted Ghana got away with murder and a ton of bullshit, the ref was sucking their balls all night long.. If the first goal was actually called correctly and our defense didn't pull a Germany v Portugal euro 2020 at the end, we would've won 4-1.... Also Uruguay is literally washed up.. If Korea didn't lose to them but we do.. That is seriously embarrassing given all this talent on the squad.. World class.

6. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    WHo's still relying on Ronaldo to save us? I'm not even sure FS wants Ronaldo either. He just has to put up with him, like the rest of us...

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some highlights from the stadium... actually my first time seeing either of these sides would you believe it...

8. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Unban Z, what is this fascism going on here. Are we reddit now?

RedBullSeven repped this.
  9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing man

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  10. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He was funny and entertaining. Wtf?
    His trolling would keep balanced with the common pessimism, and opponent dick sucking posts around here.

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bruno the only dude to warn numb-nuts that there's an attacker right behind him. FB_IMG_1669346893804.jpg

JoseEmidio, nelly29 and vilafria repped this.
  12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #337 Sumol, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Put Patricio back in.

Diogo Costa although talented, he seems way too nervous right now. Too big of a stage way too fast.

Need experience.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Diogo Costa can't play in the next game. He'll be a liability.

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Luis Enrique twitch streaming and answering everything, even answering questions about whether he allows his players to have sex before games, saying he just doesn't want them having orgies before a game.

Can anyone imagine Fernando Santos streaming on twitch? :ROFLMAO:

15. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Costa needs to play, he's never making that same mistake ever again.

We need him to get his confidence, if we get through the groups he will be a huge asset if we get to penalties.

NewLaw83, JoseEmidio and verde-rubro repped this.
  16. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watched it back last night after the Brazil game.
    Danilo he was not bad as every one is making out Costa only mistake not looking behind him he needs to start next match he has learnt his lesson, if he gets benched that’s going to kill his confidence big time. The problem last night was cancelo and Dias and plus we were to slow on our build up

NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  18. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rewatched the game too.
    Agree on Cancelo and Dias.
    Bernardo is distributing the ball, and Otávio and Félix were taking the risking plays, Félix and Otávio were not as bad as I thought for instance the through ball to Ronaldo.
    We need a player, Sanches too.
    Next game would change out Otávio but keep Félix.

eurodad and NewLaw83 repped this.
  19. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Dias hasn’t played with City recently so he’s not in form. Sure he tries hard and seems like a leader but I think he’s slow and his positioning is poor.

palhinha needs to replace Neves and give Vitinha a run for Octavio. Play Cancelo at LB and Dalot at RB and bring in Pepe or Silva to replace Danilo.

eurodad and money11 repped this.
  20. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Performance not brilliant but there are some positives. I felt as though Ghana didn’t have any intention of playing in that first half, they saw the game against Nigeria and obviously decided not to give Portugal that space, however when you take Nuno Mendes and Antonio Silva out of this side and with Cancelos out of character performance you lose a lot of directness in passing and intent. Dias and Danilo just don’t have passing ability of Silva who is more important than people think I’m Benficas passing game than people think which brings me to
    Neves. I live the bloke but he was terrible, the difference Williams passing made in that second half was extraordinary. Bruno and Joao Felix caused Ghana so many problems when collecting the ball in between the lines. I personally believe Pallinha needs to play in order to get Felix Ronaldo and Leao in the lineup, we’re really lacking that raw speed to give the opposition’s defence something different to worry about. I feel like Ghanas defence cheated a little by pushing the line quite high at time because Felix and Ronaldo won’t burn them for raw pace. Especially against Uruguay who I don’t think will sit deep and we will have opportunities on the break.

Costa will learn from that mistake, top top and was luckily given a free lesion. I turned to my mate and said that he had no idea inaki was behind him which proved to be right. Yes keeper should always check his shoulder and defenders really should’ve told him as well. Poor all round

Ronaldo has no sharpness laterally, straight line running is fine but turning he’s clearly not up to his usually standards. His vertical leap is obviously still there but Santos and the coaching staff need to tell him to limit his touches and release the ball quicker then get in the box for crosses, it’s the only way I can see him being effective this tournament. He’s lost a lot of things but his runs into the box and heading are still the best in the world.

Defence was a shambles, granted both assist from the opposition came from deflections off our players which is hard to readjusted at such short distances but Danilo should’ve sorted his feet out and Cancelo was piss weak in that challenge. I’ll
    Be honest even as a benfica fan I didn’t think Antonio should of made the squad but the truth is I think he’s probably our most in form defenders out of the players picked, I’d like him to start the next game to take care of Nunez but I doubt santos will. Maybe if Ghana and Korea draw and we win he will rest players and Antonio and Pepe get a game but who knows

Some positives,
    - 3 pts
    - draw in the other game
    - Ronaldo was subbed without a dummy spit
    - Forwards got on the scoresheet
    - scored 3 goals
    - overcame adversity and hit back with 2 quick goals
    - won despite an ordinary performance

JoseEmidio, NewLaw83 and artielange84 repped this.
  21. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Yeah because it was the 85th minute when they were up 3-1 and he already got his goal. Had it stayed 0-0 he would have been on the field the entire time with almost nothing but hopeless crosses towards him.

22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like the crosses at the end of the game vs Republic of Ireland

23. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Ok cool. Let's keep using Ronaldo as the focal point of the attack with no variety until he's 50.

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Do believe our 1st goal tonight was a cross in to the box

25. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo just skimmed the ball, bruno curved it perfectly. CR did not touch it as twitter bots were saying.