Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I would have framed it in a far cleaner way.

“Do you believe women’s rights in America have improved or regressed since America got the right to host WC 2026. Will you be boycotting WC 2026 as a result?”

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If you cannot compare the two and say which is morally better, how can you come to the conclusion that Qatar is unsuitable to host the World Cup but the US is fine?

Feel free to ask away. I already know the answer to that question for Muslim women. My female Muslim dentist moved to Qatar from the U.K. some years ago.

Non-Muslim women will have a different view, as will homosexual people. They are entitled to have that view. But Qatar has Muslim values and is inhabited by Muslims, and they are entitled to live their way too.

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I grow up, I want to be a principal or a caterpillar.

4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think they’re unsuitable for entirely different reasons. They’re a tiny, insignificant country with virtually no footballing history that had minimal infrastructure for a large tournament who couldn’t run it during the summer, and were only awarded it due to massively bribing FIFA officials. You can leave human rights issues out and that right there is plenty.

MattR, xtomx, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That penalty was weaker than a Qatari human rights inspector's eyesight.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Berhalter should be tossed for the dad with his custody day on the sidelines look!!

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I can accept some of those arguments.

Infrastructure is irrelevant as it’s there now.

Footballing history is irrelevant as the USA was awarded in 1994 before they even had a league iirc.

Summer is irrelevant. Half of the world has winter when it’s summer in the U.K. and US. They have mitigated heat conditions in the stadia and as long as it’s safe and convenient for the players to play, that’s not an issue.

The aim with this cup is to grow the game as its already at plateau in traditional footballing countries, rather than still catering for the traditional countries (Europe and South America).

Bribery is a completely acceptable reason to call for Qatar not hosting. I would accept that argument completely.

Deadtigers, Pønch and bungadiri repped this.
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Rebalance?" What a generous word to describe workers' rights.
    And, yes, Qatar is not Russia. In Russia, those who express political descent are killed. In Qatar, political descent doesn't exist.

Worse? Yes, our government, at multiple levels, kills our citizens and those of other countries > 1 which is unacceptable. But you will find open descent across wide swaths of the population of this country which disagrees with that policy, sometimes actively. Because of that descent, there is a pending civil war.

Also, there are people who are able to openly be themselves as well as express their beliefs across a very wide swath of ideas. In Qatar, as an example of the lack of an open civil society, gays are punished for being gay. Also women need permission to be women. Further, migrants are not given the same rights as Qataris.

But you know all this because you post in this corner of BS, where we are highly critical of many governmental policies. So being critical of Qatar is not hypocritical, and saying they need to fix their discrimination and lack of equality is on par to what we say about our own government(s).

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really not know the history of football in the United States?

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the other match, but on replay, it was pretty clearly a penalty. It was more blatant than the CR penalty.

usscouse repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% penalty. Could not have been an easier call. Hincapie just barged into Ismaila Sarr w/out touching the ball. Brain fart.

soccernutter and usscouse repped this.
  12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Conflating two different things and I should have checked - I know Pele played for the Cosmos so should have been more accurate. (I was looking at Bigsoccer’s history on Wikipedia earlier and conflated something there about MLS starting in 1996 with my point).

But the US didn’t have a traditional footballing history in 1994 so clearly the cup isn’t awarded on that basis.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    All countries (with the exception of maybe the Scandinavians) need to rebalance their economies so that political and economic power is shifted from capital to labour. Sorry if that wording is not to your tastes, but the US is far worse than Europe when it comes to workers rights.

I mentioned before that Qatar used to operate the Kafala system (it got rid of it formally as part of the World Cup process) but it still exists in practice and it should be removed. Not only in Qatar but all of the Gulf states.

If you look at what Elon Musk is doing to his workers, and if you look at how Mexican day labourers are treated in America, it’s the same type of abuse.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You had to go to the airport to watch a match?
    Oh never mind.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and charlie15 repped this.
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this kind of swing happens in the US game, I will die of a heart attack.

It’s been nice knowing y’all.

luftmensch repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    There were only 24 teams for the '94 WC. The US still holds the record for total attendance. :coffee:

soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?????

No, that was 100% peno. 100%.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Arguing that infrastructure is irrelevant because it’s already built is akin to arguing everything is irrelevant because the stadia are built, the teams have convened and the tournament is happening right now. It’s all water under the bridge at some point. We need to go back to when the bid won.

The issues that should be relevant to host selection that we obviously were not for Qatar:

1-climate as it relates to player safety for the period in which the tournament is supposed to occur. 2022 was scheduled for June/July 2022. I don’t care if it’s called summer or winter depending upon which hemisphere the host us in. It needs to be safe. It is not to host this tournament in June/July in Qatar. Otherwise they wouldn’t have turned the global soccer calendar upside down to accommodate the winter tournament.

2-Infrastructure as it relates to financial commitment and carbon footprint to put venues across in place at the time of the bid.

3-size of the host as it relates to the need to construct accommodations for visitors and to make contingencies for keeping visitors safe in the event of something like a terrorist attack. Which is very hard to do when you’re relying upon a single airport and a single port to move visitors.

4-financial and resource capacity to deliver on hosting.

5-realizing that there is no perfect country, the general human rights, political and corruption culture within a country. There is no magic line there, but it is something that should be considered.

I agree completely that one of the goals should be to expand the global reach of the sport and the event. But there are many more suitable hosts than Qatar capable of delivering on that objective.

19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do you condemn imprisoning people because of their in-born biological traits?

Using religion to legitimize and excuse the persecution, abuse and even murder of people because of their biological traits is immoral and outrageous and speaks volumes for you as a person. Arguments like the one you presented are no different than those who turned a blind eye to Nazi Germany murdering Jews, gays, Roma, etc because of Nazi beliefs.

If any deity desires that groups of people be killed solely because they exist, then that deity is pathetic, immoral and disgusting and deserves to be treated as the fictional entity it is.

MattR, soccernutter, yossarian and 4 others repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Dissent. Dissent. Dissent. Dissent.

21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Australia was in the running for this World Cup as well. They already had the necessary infrastructure, would have needed fewer new stadiums, and it would have helped grow the game in that country. Of course, they have been awarded the Women's World Cup instead (along with NZ).

Deadtigers, soccernutter, xtomx and 4 others repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  23. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I’m glad you don’t work with Iran’s morality police.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Australia is a fully-grown sports landscape, complete with soccer. But IIRC they decided to ignore a proper single table, like the US, and ended up bastardizing the game for reasons not known to me. IT's not like growth would give them a proper league any more than it would give us one.

And them getting the WWC was probably due to the presence of stadia and some form of footballing culture.

I'm not saying Qatar was a good choice, mind- I'm saying that hosting a World Cup wasn't gonna make the game right in AUS any more than it made the game right here on our own shores. FIFA allowed playoffs and we're never going to recover from them.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Was dis sent to our grammer notzie? :confused: