Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    There's a clear and present danger that there will be ZERO CONCACAF sides advancing beyond the group stage.

2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    But two are basically in win-and-you-advance situations against Asian teams (Costa Rica's goal differential and lack of talent doom them from consideration).

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    FIFA needs ditchdiggers too

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA advances with a win, and Mexico advances if they beat the ... Sharia out of Saudi Arabia - a 4 goal win guarantees Mexico advances. Both of those things are certainly possible.

charlie15 repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Canadia defender nutmegs himself. 4-1 'Sic's.

6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I feel for Canada. A loss is correct, but this is pretty brutal.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    0-0 with England lookin pretty good

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    So just so we're clear:

CONCACAF has their hopes and dreams pinned to:

1. Greg Berhalter "coaching up" US forwards to like, score goals, and

2. Mexico to put 4+ past a side that beat Messi's Argentina.

Got it.

charlie15, roby, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Expanding it isn’t really the issue. Expanding it with the format they did is a huge issue. They coulda gone with a Swiss system variation. 8 groups of 6. 1v4, 2v5 and 3v6 to open. Then flex scheduled the next two rounds based on points with fifa ranking as a tiebreaker. You only play 3 out of 5 teams, but it does a good job of sorting the top 2 king of the hill style. Just need to cluster groups geographically which isn’t an issue with the 2026 hosts.

Unless there is a massive upset, it keeps teams 5 and 6 away from 1 and 2. And if there is an upset, the smaller teams get their shot against bigger fish before in all likelihood getting brought back to earth in round 2. I think there’s value to be had in getting 50% more teams exposure in the tournament every 4 years.

10. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    sit on the bench?

11. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Great idea...

....Except that no matter the format, we'll still have to see, say Guatemala vs Brasil or Jamaica vs France; Id put the over/under at 5 or more goals for the favorites.

Given that we all have finite time left on earth, I don't see the point of sh!ttifying a tournament, let alone hosting it more frequently, as they propose.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, Vinny Jones did play for Wales...

roby, Deadtigers, Umar and 1 other person repped this.
  13. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

Iran is asking FIFA to remove the US from the WC over this

charlie15, Deadtigers and luftmensch repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Heh....I'd gladly sit on the bench sipping Yoo Hoo for $7,000,000+ per annum! :)

marek repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Nah. The teams are separated via round 1. A team like an Iran (third seed) would play one of teams 41-48 in the opener (6 seed). Collect your three points (if it’s that easy) and 3 or 4 points over the next two vs a top 8 and a second tier UEFA side would probably see them through. Lose against Honduras and a) everyone else gets a laugh and b) an Iran would probably need three in what would amount to an elimination game vs another unfortunate mid tier team followed by 1-3 pts vs a top team to get through.

A Brazil would open with someone like a Tunisia or South Korea. Assuming they at least draw, no real chance of Brazil vs Honduras or Togo.

Khan repped this.
  16. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Iran figures that’s its best route to the next round.

xtomx and marek repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All it would take for the US is a 1-0 win*.

Mexico don't technically have to score 4 against Saudi Arabia. If Mexico wins 3-1 and Argentina beats Poland 2-0, Mexico advance. If you go by history, neither scoreline is unreasonable. (Of course, Mexico has looked punchless so far, but historically speaking those would not be surprising scorelines).

*As we all know, each game is different. Just because the US tied England which beat Iran 6-2, does not mean the US will beat Iran 6-2. Japan beat Germany and Costa Rica beat Japan. Do we really take that to mean we expect Costa Rica to beat Germany? Of course not.

Chicago76 repped this.
  18. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I almost want to see them do it. What a shit storm that would be. Even by FIFA standards.

soccernutter and Sounders78 repped this.
  19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The USA can just say an intern confused the flag of Hungary with Iran's flag and apologize for the mistake.

charlie15, soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #970 Khan, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Color me dubious about the clarity of the draw as you describe, although I have no doubt that FIFA will find a way to fvkc it up.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I admire your positivity. And, for the record, I do hope that the US advance.

That said, it can be just as likely that Iran beat the US (as beating "the great satan" seems to be a big deal for Iran), as it would for the opposite to occur.

And for Mexico, I'm counting at least 2 "Ifs" in your scenario above.

And all of this, just to get a CONCACAF side into the 2nd round, where they'll likely be curb-stomped.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Now you want to upset the Hungarians too?
    :)

23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can see Iran winning as well. I'm just saying that CONCACAF is performing according to historical expectations so far. Typically 50% of CONCACAF teams advance and that is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility this time either.

CONCACAF rarely gets beyond the 2nd round, so yes, curb-stomping is to be expected at that stage - especially if the US plays the Netherlands and Mexico plays France.

Khan repped this.
  24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not Republican, so I'm ok with disrespecting Orban.

duality72, Mike03, charlie15 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    If Mexico gets through, they’ll likely get stomped by France as you mention. The US would likely play NED. This isn’t an endorsement of the USA, but given how the Dutch look, there are far worse R16 opponents. They don’t seem to be one of the 5-6 best teams in this tournament. Still heavily favored but this Dutch team isn’t good or average by Dutch standards. And if Poland can draw ARG that quarter of the bracket looks soft.

That’s the only way a team at the level of the US could potentially make waves in the knockouts. It’s take USAvNED with the winner to face anyone in C/D not named ARG or FRA. Not too dissimilar to 2010 when we blew our best path in the WC TV era to the semis v Ghana (and potentially Uruguay).

rslfanboy, xtomx, Khan and 1 other person repped this.