Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, mine too. But fortunately for me the Quakes come after Boca Juniors.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having said that, Eddie Pope was a stalwart and perhaps the best defender US soccer has produced the last 25 yrs. He was a rock for DCU in the late 90's/early 2000s.

Ismitje, Deadtigers, Dan Loney and 5 others repped this.
  3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I've long ago tried to erase my onetime interest in MLS from my mind, but:

Couldn't Justin Mapp be considered as being Conveyesque in his waving for the ball, then wandering around aimlessly whenever he didn't get it?

(God, both those guys sucked.)

russ and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Went to this disaster:

5. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Disagreed with the bolded, in that Pope never played at a higher level than MLS, did he?

I will agree with you that he was a larger fish in a tiny pond, soccer-wise.

DCU and fire fans do have an inflated sense of their favorite players. Unfortunately, a faded past of their clubs is all they have to lean on. DCU fans will swear that pope was the sh!t, but he never played outside MLS. Since his time, there have been several who have accomplished more at the club and international level than Pope did.

6. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    was that the weekend of Project Mayhem?

7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Bora Bora Bora...
    Is he one of the German pilots that bombed Pearl Harbor? :unsure:

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Pope didn't play outside MLS for one main reason,US Soccer players were not being supervised or taken that seriously back then. Having said that, Pope still attracted interest from some European clubs, Feyenoord and AC Milan but opted to stay in MLS.
    If you think of one US defender more solid, talented and disciplined than Pope, please share.

russ, fatbastard, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #2585 Khan, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Fair question, and just off the top of my head:

Carlos Bocanegra had a solid career outside MLS, and he also captained the USMNT for 6 years,
    Oguchi Onyewu similarly had a solid career outside MLS,
    Cameron didn't exactly suck outside MLS.
    Cherundolo had a good run in the Bundesliga.

There are a few others, if I actually took the time to think about it. Bocanegra started his career as a peer of Pope's while both were playing, so the idea that US players [to quote someone] "were not being supervised or taken that seriously back then" isn't exactly true.

Pope was a good player, but not at all "the best defender US soccer has produced the past 25 years," especially since he only played in MLS; his "interest from some European clubs" sounds like that imaginary "Canadian girlfriend" nerds used to tell us about back in high school.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In the era when I watched almost every USMNT match, from 2000 to 2014, Eddie Pope was our best center back. He was the gold standard. That said, I was very impressed with the current crop at the 2022 WC.

russ, Mike03, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherundolo was perhaps the best fullback but obviously I was talking about Pope the central defender. Not comparable.
    As far as the other three, I have seen them on tv or live and none come close to Pope in term of defensive ability, leadership and skills. Just because he didn't play in Europe should not diminish his skills and talent. Landon Donovan just had a few cameos in Europe and he still considered if not the best, month the top 3 US players of all time.
    Don't be a ********ing douche, that Pope attracted interest from European clubs was well documented at the time. That was regularly reported in main stream medias at the time.

13. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was a different era, relatively few Americans played overseas at that point. Berhalter did but Pope was better than him from what I remember. I’ve actually wondered what Pope would’ve been like if he’d come up these days, with a much better youth development system and a clearer path to a European career.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This dude wasn't too bad overseas

15. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    This is what you said: ..."perhaps the best defender US soccer has produced the last 25 yrs."

You may have MEANT to type "central defender," but you said "defender."

Two things:

1. Pope's peer, Carlos Bocanegra actually CAPTAINED the USMNT for 6 years. Did Pope ever wear the armband? (You were saying about "leadership skills?")

For that matter, Carlos Bocanegra might be the longest-tenured captain of the USMNT up to this point. Oh, and he did most of that while playing more difficult club games between international caps than Pope did against mere MLS comp.

2. Yes, playing at a higher club level does matter, when arguing "the best defender the past 25 years."

Look, if he had a chance to go, but didn't, he wussed out, which reflects poorly on him.

But more commonly, "interest from European clubs" turns out to be as realistic as one's interest in seeing a 25 year old version of Sofia Vergara naked.

Look, YOU made the absurd boast of Pope being the singularly best defender in a quarter century. You're just wrong on that, and thats neither to your discredit, nor to Pope's.

Because of his substandard club record relative to the others, he's merely say top 10 US defender or so over the past 25 years. We get it: You're an old timer DCU fan, and you romanticize your club's former glory.

16. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Pope and Bocanegra played during the same timeframe around Y2K.

One captained the USMNT for 6 years, the other probably never wore the captains armband. One played in Europe in more than one top league, the other played in MLS.

Both were great for the US, but as they said on Sesame Street, "One of those things is not like the other..."

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey douchebag, this is not my "boast", this is something that is generally agreed upon in US soccer at large, by both fans and journos, that Pope may be the best US defender the last 25 years. The idea that he could not have been good because he never played abroad is so absurd and dumb that I should not even entertain that conversation anymore. GTFOH.

18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Lonnie Donegan who wrote and sang "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor Overnight" or rather Landon Donovan is touted, by some wearing rose colored glasses, as the best US player ever. Lonnie err Lanny did go to Europe but soon scampered back to safety. He might have been considered if Michelle Akers didn't hold that title! :coffee:

Khan repped this.
  19. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They overlapped some but Bocanegra’s peak was later, and at a time when more people were starting to make the move. But you’re right, Bocanegra made the choice to play and succeed in more challenging leagues, and should get a lot of credit for that.

Khan repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know if that's true in this particular instance. The US women didn't have a league initially, but neither did anyone else (I may be wrong about this), so the field was still level where opportunities are concerned. Or maybe someone else did but the sheer numbers and money tilted the tables in the US favor anyway.

Did European women have leagues in the early 90s? Asking.

I had a discussion in the Woso forum with another poster who started talking about what the USWNT had to go thru to win the WWC. I replied that they had a great deal less to deal with than most of their opponents, citing US money and dedication to Woso. That poster acted like I had cursed at her mom or something.

luftmensch repped this.
  21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Firstly, check yourself. I'm not insulting you in any way, and you're taking this entirely too personally.

Secondly, to the bolded, where are your source(s), apart from the fact that he played for your favorite team's best sides?

Lastly, he had fewer caps, and played at a lower level than some of his peers like Bocanegra, and fewer than those that came after him in this hypothetical 25 year period. He also was never a team captain, as others were. You may not like it, but thems the facts.

And again, no ones insulting you as you have insulted me.

22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #2597 Khan, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    They played concurrently enough to have been peers. Its not like comparing two guys that played a decade apart.

Moreover, Bocanegra had more caps, and captained the USMNT and his club. He did more than Pope did at the international level, and as you said, he challenged himself, while Pope chose comfort ahead of challenging himself.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pope was better than Bocanegra but it's all just subjective based on me having seen them both live several times. And while they certainly overlapped, Pope is five years older than Bocanegra, graduated college in 1995 and started with MLS in 1996, which was when very few players were going overseas. It's speculative, of course, but if Pope had been Bocanegra's age, I'm sure he could've been an average defender for a team of Fulham's status like Boca was. As for the captaincy, he was on the USMNT with guys like Reyna, Harkes, Wynalda, Stewart, all of whom were going to have more seniority over him as far as that was concerned.

russ, QuakeAttack, Mike03 and 5 others repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Many popes do

pope-red-shoes-getty.jpg

Khan repped this.
  25. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    This is a fair post, but the other guy starting out with:

"The greatest defender in the past 25 years," then
    "I meant CENTRAL defender," then
    "Well, his era was different than the era of a guy who started his a career a mere 4 years later," then
    "You're a douchebag for disagreeing with me"

Is all a bit much.

A more cogent argument could be something along the lines of, "Pope was one of the best American Central Defenders of his era."

Because there have been several who have done more than he did, both at the club and international level.