Soccer, sports and politics (R)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny Boy wants teams to focus on soccer, not politics. Denmark is going to wear black jerseys instead of their normal red in mourning of those who died to build the stadia. One of the ironies of this cup is that one of the stated reasons for nations who voted for Qatar is that the stadia are built in such a way that they can be disassembled and sent to poor nations that could use an upgraded stadium. IOW, the alleged social good of a Qatar World Cup is directly related to thousands of deaths.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...nations-told-to-stick-to-footballnot-politics

The hyperrelatavist assertion that no culture is better than any other is obvious nonsense…so the Nazis aren’t worse than, say, Canada? Russia invading Ukraine is the same as Ukraine defending itself from the invasion? The vision of America as an ethnonationalist Christian nation is no worse than the vision of America as a place of freedom and multiculturalism?

I guess so if the only way to measure goodness is by looking at bank accounts. Which, sure, FIFA gonna FIFA. But the irony is that non white nations run FIFA, which is why this Cup is in Qatar instead of the US, so the cynicism here is off the charts.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will make my political decision based on how hard it will be for me to get beer.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This thread exists because the US didn't get their pony in 2022.
    Was 2026 not soon enough?

FIFA is run by White folks. They tossed Qatar a bone. Deal with it

4. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I think that it’s a victory that the US qualified, let us not forget that.

Chesco United repped this.
  5. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As an anthropologist, that's not exactly what is meant by cultural relativism (and I recognize you used "hyper-relativist", so it's not exactly the same thing, but given this is precisely what my students are learning about this week and next, I feel motivated to "lecture" on it here).

Ethnocentrism is when you argue your culture is better than another. Anthropologically, we traditionally don't want to judge other cultures by our cultural practices, we try to understand them based on their rules, values, beliefs, practices, etc. - all of which stem from their cultural worldview. We try not to examine them based on our worldview, unless we are trying to understand our own values and practices better. Our goal is to try and understand how their practices make sense to them based on their worldview, not how they are completely immoral based on our worldview.

But yes, people can take it to the extreme in ways that become problematic, but if you change your basic assumptions about how the natural and cultural environments work, those extreme positions can make sense (it doesn't make them "right", which is a culture-bound concept to begin with, but it makes "sense" with their basic assumptions). As Americans one of our most important underlying assumptions is the importance of the individual over the importance of the group. If you change that foundational assumption, that "all people are created equal", then you open up a completely different set of values. And Middle Eastern cultures, including those in the Bible, are not based on the importance of the individual, but of the group.

Personally, I believe the Cup is in Qatar because of blatant bribery of the people who voted. That's the same reason the last Cup was in Russia.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    WC years are always good times to dust off some Chuck Blazer stories.

Before he fell ill -- he has recently been reported to be suffering from several forms of cancer -- he would occasionally be spotted rumbling around Central Park in New York on a motorized scooter with his parrot on his shoulder.

(Intermission: There are more than a few people who roll around New York with parrots on their shoulders, but I could swear I've seen this guy before.)

The bird had an eccentric story of its own. At some point in Blazer's past an ex-wife had departed, taking the parrot with her. By the time she returned it a year later, she had trained it to spout abuse. Blazer kept the bird in a gilded cage in his sumptuous Manhattan penthouse office, and complained that his business meetings were often interrupted by the bird squawking: "You're a dope."

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/a...s-parrot-was-trained-to-mock-him-chuck-blazer

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The USA has far more blood on its hands than Qatar so from a moral point of view it’s far better to give it to them rather than the USA.

Deadtigers, DrScorpio and QuakeAttack repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So this is the P&CE rivalry thread????

EDIT...

It would so appear. . .

Q*bert Jones III and xtomx repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    That's why there should be a Rotten Nations' WC & a Good Nations' WC.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big difference. In the US there is an active civil society which has the ability to speak out against actions causing the bloodshed. It may not always work, but it is always present, which allows the government to be openly criticized internally. This does not exist in Qatar.

11. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    :(

rslfanboy and Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yes I remember how the senate voted in the war on Iraq.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If such a distinction were made, some people might argue the group featuring the USA, England & Wales, and Iran would maintain its integrity.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    What TF is a chuckblazer. Sounds like a cheap cut of meat for the barbie.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It didn’t stop the US under the leadership of Kushner to declare sanctions on Qatar because they wouldn’t give him a several billion $ loan.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I doubt Johnny Boy was speaking from an anthropologist’s viewpoint. But I enjoyed the lecture. Didn’t cost me $40,000 a year, so it’s a bargain!
    2. It’s both. The nations that voted for Qatar took bribes AND they’re non white nations.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Merge Northern CONCACAF (US/Canada) and Southern AFC (Australia) with UEFA. Add Brasil (Bolsonaro & other Nazi types), Argentina (same), and Uruguay (also the same). There's your rotten guys.

Take CAF and merge it with southern CONCACAF and northern CONMEBOL. There's your good guys.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That hurts you more than it hurts most...

Deadtigers and roby repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not sure it's more, but it's damn close, especially over the last few years.

20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    How is it even close?

This is like saying you’re not sure if Rambo depicted more on screen violence than Postman Pat but it’s damn close.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    While I joked with my Kenyan friend in previous World Cups about France being the last remaining African team in the knock-out rounds, I'm not sure I would consider France to be a "non white nation" even though I suspect we were in the group that likely took bribes.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're right. I apologize.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The French aren't happy about it. Google "laurent blanc clarefontaine black players.

Those guys should focus on their club careers and refuse to give France any more trophies. Zidane had to act just to keep LePen out of office. France is pretty doggone conservative.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Google him. Like a real-life American soccer combo of Austin Powers, Fat Bastard & Donald Trump.

Chesco United, fatbastard, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You completely skipped:

How is the civil society doing in Qatar?