World Cup 2019 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    I have a question about the new rules. If a keeper is judged to have come off her line during a penalty shootout, will she still be given a yellow card? And, presumably, a red card in the case of a second offense? If that's the case, can the now-goalie-less team simply insert its backup keeper, or will the one of the players on the field be forced to put on the gloves?

Assuming the latter is the case, the knockout rounds could be REALLY interesting, and not necessarily in a good way.

blissett repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The US announcers are appalling in so many ways. I understand that they need to have former women players do the analysis but they really should have watched EPL games to see how it can be done properly. Half they time the refer to the player by first and last names which is odd in that this is not universally applied. In today's ENG-JAP call, the Japanese players were only referred to by their last name maybe 99% of the time and I don't think they are one name players as Brazil have on their roster. The English players were mostly first and last name as though they are BFFs. Some times JP Dellacamera just cannot shut up. I wish I had an alternative to Fox for these broadcasts.

Fortunately, we are leaving for vacation in Canada for the next two weeks. I hope the announcers are better up there!!!

mzbats repped this.
  3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they use match commentators from England.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Let it be Martin Tyler!!!:)

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. Based on what?

6. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    American broadcasters(FOX) are run on a profit basis. BBC is obviously not. That explains the difference in focus on action vs experience with journalistic broadcasting.

7. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Fox’s Soccer recap show tonight led with the Mexico Canada Gold Cup game after that epic Scotland Argentina WORLD CUP game. THEN recalled the USMNT game against Guyana from yesterday...that they already covered on yesterday’s program...extensively.

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiegman wants the first place and is going to put in the strongest team possible to win the match.

Stats Canada vs The Orange Lionesses:
    [​IMG]
    Because of the reason that it's a schoolday for children and the Champagne city is deeper in France the Orange Walk isnot going to be as huge as the 15000+ in Valenciennes. Expected is a 6000+ crowd.

9. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    Premier league announce wont use VAR for penalty encroachment next season.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, something similar happened at the men's Euro U17 last year, Irish goalie booked during the game, saved one penalty during the shoot-out, but referee booked him for moving too early and sent off.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would just like to remind you that France won that WC.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. It is more that the US has a tradition of sports with longer stops (football) and longer pauses (baseball) and the announcers fill that dead air. The idea of a "color man," to present commentary as opposed to just the pbp, also came out of football, but has been adapted pretty much universally around the world. The amount of talking is very much a result of US sports in addition to keeping the viewers' attention.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    That shoudlnt stop American announcers from doing a proper job. How do you explain the constant mispronunciation of names by American announcers then? If you do run it for profit it is always going to trickle down in quality somewhere. You just dont end up on par with journalistic standards shown by the BBC and others.

Giulia's last name is not "Guh-when" but "G'win". Pronounced like "G'when" in Gwen Stefani.

blissett repped this.
  14. mzbats

mzbats New Member

Canada
    May 19, 2019
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For what it’s worth, the British announcer for a recent Italy game called Bonansea “Bonasea” for the entire match, so...Americans are not the only offenders.

jnielsen, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For some reasons Italy's best players' name sounds difficult to spell to English-speakers.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American exceptionalism. :rolleyes:

(It is something that really bothers me. Even the ELP commentators, who have to deal with just about as many names, get them right.)

footyfan933 repped this.
  17. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    So we have a face-off between Nigeria and Chile now. Chile need to win with 3 goals difference against Thailand in order to make up for the goal difference. As they would have scored 3 goals (at least) by then, they would go through on more goals scored over Nigeria.

Go Chile!!!

PS: If Nigeria goes through France play Brazil and Germany plays Nigeria. If Chile go through France play Chile and Germany play Brazil.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't count Thailand out either! They just need a simple 15 goals unanswered to pass Nigeria
    :D

blissett and footyfan933 repped this.
  19. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I did have a paragraph mentioning they had to score 15 goals but thought people would consider me crazy :D

blissett repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is BigSoccer. We love crazy here!

footyfan933, blissett and soccernutter repped this.
  21. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    loooooooooool I just realized 5 out of 6 group winners are from UEFA

6th still in contention!!!

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are posters would have have done 3 or 4 paragraphs, an included the math.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and footyfan933 repped this.
  23. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Actually, if the US wins tonight against Sweden and Spain wins vs the US, and all other UEFA teams win their R16 games then we could have an UEFA only tournament in the quarters

blissett repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Several things factoring into that:
    Just based on seeding, we were already expecting 3/6 group winners from UEFA
    Looking past seeding, people were already discussing that NED looked better than CAN, and everyone knows that SWE is USA's Achilles Heel. So that's 4 or 5/6 easy.
    No one really expected ITA to upset AUS - that's probably the only big surprise so far.
    We're also in the first tournament to use FIFA rank as opposed to home regions to determine the pots; whether this factors into things, IDK, but it's an interesting shift in the process.

MiLLeNNiuM, footyfan933 and blissett repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well now you're just talking coin flips. Postulating about possible KO brackets is kinda silly. By the same argument, UEFA could get shut out of the quarters.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.