World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Oct 10, 2017.

?

Who will win World Cup 2018

1. Germany

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Brazil

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. France

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Argentina

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Spain

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Russia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other Team

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It wasn't. The match was shit to be honest and marred in controversy. Senegal vs France was probably the last memorable match. In 2006, Germany played Costa Rica. Just because Germany was in it doesn't mean it was a good game.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought you relinquished your prediction rights for this tournament.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not talking about the match itself , just the teams .

4. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BEFORE!! Not during!!!:cry:

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Really? Cause even though I don't like the shirts with a collar, I wouldn't mind if Brazil went retro to WC'58 when we won our 1st WC 60 years ago!!! I still think the WC'94 jerseys were the best Brazil ever wore!! I didn't care for the 'Star Trek' jersey of WC'02

6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Aww be quiet!! I predicted Germany would win the Confed Cup last year and they did it!!! o_O:D And next year will be the ONLY time Germany had a successful 'invasion' of Russia!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You know come to think of it.....Germany won the new WC trophy 3 times('74,'90'14) so they should've been allowed to keep it and a new one should've been made!!!:x3:

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Funny, because the 94 jersey was probably the least traditional yellow ... along with 2002. That jersey did work with well with the lighter blue shorts.

9. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I agree! The world cup is ugly.... I wish they made one like the Taça Jules Rimet, that we won forever, even though it got stolen! LOL

omajac repped this.
  10. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Winning back to back World Cups isn't easy especially since Germany aren't as strong (the replacements aren't as good as the ones who have retired or aged). They will face much better opposition than the Confed Cup. Some teams, including Brazil, who were not in the Confed Cup, have become stronger than they were in 2014. Also, Germany have the Confed Cup curse as well as the irrecoverable curse from your prediction. ;) No way are they winning in Russia next year.

PS: I think it will be difficult for Brazil also, especially with an aging backline. I think it is up to Gabriel Jesus to take Brazil over the line. Will he be ready?

11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany is, if all, stronger than the 2014 incarnation. Back then, the German team had massive problems with their fullbacks, playing the "bull-defense" with 4 CB at times. They also had to rely on an old Miroslav Klose and an aging Bastian Schweinsteiger who was experienced but way beyond his peek as a player.

Nowadays we have very promising youngsters on the fullback position and good options behind Hummels/Boateng in the CB position as well. Our midfield of Kroos, Khedira, Gündogan, Özil, Rudy, Goretzka is even stronger than the 2014 outlet and upfront we hopefully will have Reus, Sané, Stindl and Werner - way better than the forced experiments with a false 9 like back in 2014 with Schürrle and Götze.

In the goal we have with ter Stegen one of the best three goalies right behind Neuer, whereas in 2014 we had a very very young ter Stegen and an old Weidenfeller as options.

And on top, with the exception of maybe Hummels, Kroos and Kimmich Germany can swap ALL players without losing much if any quality. The bench options are ridiculous.

It's a pretty impressive mixture of experienced veterans, young promising talent, a calm coach, a deep bench, several international titles and a record setting qualification campaign in the back.

I really don't see how this Germany is any bit worse than the 2014 winning team, not a bit.

old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see Germany as the clear favorite with Brazil, Spain and France behind them.

My concerns for Germany are as follows:
    1. Is Muller still starting for you? His form hasn't been the same this season and I really wonder what kind of player you will get by the time the World Cup comes around.
    2. Oft-injured players heading into the Cup. Reus and Gundogan are names that come to mind. Germany has more depth than 2014 and was able to overcome some injuries in 2014 to win, but that doesn't mean everything will play out like that again. Neuer is also going to have a few months to pick up his form. Club form can also be different from national team form. I think this squad has some less experience than 2014, albeit more talented. If Germany has to lean on less experienced players due to injury or form issues, that may raise an issue for them, especially in the knockout rounds.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know my biggest concern for Germany would be Neuer when he returns and if Ter Stegen can fill his shoes cause he can give you some heart stopping moments..:unsure:(being a Barca fan I know!!)

14. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah I'm not doing cartwheels about our backline either and I still think we need to go back to a 3 centerback line!! And Gabriel Jesus is our best chance for a good no.9 since Luis Fabiano!! Too damn bad that Gabriel Barbosa(Gabigol) wilted in Inter and now is further down the drain at Benfica!!

15. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I think Bayern Munchen 3 - PSG 1 was a predictor for Germany vs Brasil in 2018, if it happens.... However, it might not happen! Who knows what will happen in Russia!

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. As you say, club form can also be different from national form. Mueller has been a reliable producer in World Cups before and I think he deserves the first shot. If he's underperforming in the group stages, he could get yanked for someone like Sane, but for now I'm okay with rolling with it.
    2. Yeah, I would say that makes sense, although it might be mitigated by the fact that a lot of the 2014 core is still there. Oezil, Mueller, Boateng, Hummels, Neuer, Kroos, possibly Khedira, still figure to play major roles, while the likes of Kimmich and Hector have two international tournaments under their belt.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tite should have Brazil playing differently. Marcelo's form is what's worrying right now.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think you've had some players that were like that right ? Underperforming at club level but playing well for the NT. Robinho comes to mind for Brazil.

19. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah hopefully in the friendly in March!! Lol

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose was the ultimate "international not club" player. He had an okay club career but an exceptional NT career.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's basically who I was thinking about.

22. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And a 35-year-old right back in D. Alves is cause for concern too

23. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And he's on Lowe's staff now!!

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Not really considering PSG owned them at home too. Not even the March friendly will give us a good indicator how we match up with Germany considering how they approach friendlies. The only thing Tite should be looking at is how to further improve us both tactically and player personnel IMO.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    They're just very simple. I certainly won't be buying this one. To be honest, probably the most boring one Nike has ever made for us.

http://www.torcedores.com/noticias/2017/12/possivel-uniforme-da-selecao-brasileira