World Cup 2018 Russia

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by HomietheClown, Dec 3, 2017.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Something important I noticed during the Club World Cup...

...I tried accessing an onDemand stream of Pachuca-Gremio on the Telemundo Deportes en Vivo app via Dish and was told I did not have access to the match even though I have both Universo and Telemundo in my package.

It kind of confused me for a few seconds and then I tried logging in with my parents' Dish account and it worked flawlessly.

The key difference is that my parents are subscribed to the Dish Latino service.

My house access does not have Dish Latino but only has the local Chicago Telemundo affiliate listed.

**So to make a long story short if you do not have a Latino package you may not be able to see World Cup matches onDemand via Telemundo's digital platforms unless they switch it up and open it for all
    Or do what Univision did and allow access without authorization for the group stage and then authorization for the rest.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  4. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked and I’m able to watch the Universo games but not the Telemundo ones. I assume because Universo is part of my national package (on DirecTV) and Telemundo I get as a local channel. Frankly, this seems like an oversight that they should be able to fix. Let’s email them and see what they say. Good catch!

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...tiano-ronaldo-neymar-chicharito-20180306.html

-"Telemundo will televise 56 of the tournament’s 64 games on its flagship broadcast network, and the remaining eight – all simultaneous kickoffs with other games – on cable channel Universo. Online streaming will likely follow NBC’s tradition of being behind a TV provider authentication wall, but Velazquez said some of it might not be.

“I think there will be a period of un-authenticated coverage,” he said."

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Telemundo Adds Soccer Stars To Analyst Roster As It Starts 100-Day Countdown To World Cup Russi
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/veroni...y-countdown-to-world-cup-russia/#172706e03d7e

"In a progressive move, the network has tapped Argentinian sports journalist Viviana Vila for its commentator team. She'll be the first-ever female analyst to call FIFA men’s World Cup in the U.S.

The network has also recruited Uruguayan professional soccer player Diego Forlán, former Peruvian soccer star Teófilo Cubillas, American soccer player Tab Ramo and former Mexican soccer player Jesús “Chucho” Ramírez, who went on to serve as manager of Mexico's National Team to round up the sports commentator team."

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico has been losing in the Round of 16, so Fox should be calling it the "curse of the fourth game," not the "curse of the fifth game" like they are.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    An article from earlier this month:

Fox Sports World Cup Infrastructure Ready for Journey to Russia

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2018/04...p-infrastructure-ready-for-journey-to-russia/

Best part of the article-

"The circuits not only will deliver the linear coverage of all 64 matches (36 will air on Fox, the remaining 28 on FS1) via J2K compression but will also help transmit five bonus feeds per match for OTT or second-screen consumption, including a mosaic channel, stat channel, cable-cam channel, and a tactical-camera channel. All matches will also be available in UHD HDR with wide color gamut, and the CenturyLink circuits will deploy port replication directly to the MVPDs."

Pretty cool. I just invested in a new 4K tv so I am stoked. :D:thumbsup:

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #14 HomietheClown, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    So based on that move the commentator teams will probably be:

Team 1 Strong /Holden
    Team 2 JP/Meola
    Team 3 Rae-Wagner
    Team 4 Jorge Perez-Navarro/ Mariano Trulillo (For Mexico matches. Maybe Cobi Jones with Jorge for other matches.)

15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dear God that sounds awful. Better get those vpns up and running or pray that matchpass has alternate commentary

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I really do think FOX should consider putting the English Language World Feed on one of their channels like Fox Soccer Plus..

And before people ask "why would they do that?" it would be similar to what Turner and CBS did for the NCAA Basketball Tournament. On TBS they had the National broadcast feed and on TNT and TruTV they had other audio feeds of the local broadcasts of each respective school.
    So there is precedence for a Network showing the same game on multiple channels with different English Audio feeds. There has been a precedent set.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  17. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anyone who asks “why would they do that” should have to suffer through fox’ coverage this summer. And I actually got my hopes up when I heard Derek Rae would be on commentary until I read the fine print of ....with former US womens team member (air deflated). Foxing up again!

Redbullsnation2012 and Cantona repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You always have 1)Tactical cams, 2) Telemundo and 3) the mute button my friend.

19. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I like good commentary so option 1 and 3 are no good. My Spanish is shit so option 2 is no good for me. Fortunately there are other options out there

Cantona repped this.
  20. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honest question:

By having two different channels, what would that do for ratings? I'd imagine they'd suffer, but I would also guess that only a small portion would want to watch on a different channel.

However, it would give FS+ some content, especially since it's ala carte on some providers.

What about SAP? I've often wondered why that has never been used for UK-English commentary during soccer games.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I seriously don't know. Maybe it would fracture the amount of views a bit but since FS+ is a pay type of thing as you have alluded to then it may not make much of a difference. Remember ESPN had World Cup matches available on ESPN Deportes in Portuguese and I don't think it hurt their ratings at all.

As for SAP I mentioned that a couple years ago in the Copa America Centenario thread. Univision used it to broadcast various Latin American audio feeds and it was great. I hope FOX would consider doing something like that with audio feeds they have the rights to.

23. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #23 QPR Kevin H, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    These "multicasts" for big sporting events have become pretty common on ESPN and CBS/Turner. If definitely does impact single channel ratings, but usually the channels involved are all Nielsen rated so the parent company will just add up the total audience and let media/advertisers know after the fact.

Example:

I'm not sure how FOX wants to play that for this summer. I would imagine they're pretty sensitive to the fact that ratings are going to be down big with no US, normal declines from ESPN to FOX, general sports ratings dips and lowered enthusiasm for FIFA/Russia/etc. So I would think they'd want as many eyeballs on FOX and FS1 as possible. And the audience is already going to be majorly fragmented with Telemundo broadcasting as well (something other sport multicasts don't really need to worry about).

HomietheClown repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I still hope they will consider at least a Portuguese broadcast on FOX Deportes like ESPN had on ESPN Deportes.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True,
    But believe it or not the move to Telemundo favors FOX in comparison to ESPN in 2014 because Telemundo is only going to broadcast their matches on their main channel for the most part. Compare that to 4 years ago when Univision simulcasted almost all of their matches on Univision Deportes Network. So it is less fragmented in that regard.

Another thing I just thought of is maybe FOX Sports can have the International English Language feed on their Ultra High definition channel they supposedly are ready to distribute to the service providers. That would be kind of cool but I doubt they will do that.

Everyone's guess is as good as mine when it comes to predicting what FOX is going to do with this thing.