World Cup 2014 tickets: general discussion: NOT for trading or selling

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by bulle1, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks. I would gladly watch other teams and games this is the world cup after all. But I would prefer to follow my team. I was thinking of not traveling but at having a "base camp" or a just one venue area where I can see matches throughout group stage.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    More travel trips about Brazil

Social etiquette
    • Cheek-kissing is very common in Brazil, among women and between women and men. When two women, or opposite sexes first meet, it is not uncommon to kiss. Two men WILL shake hands. A man kissing another man's cheek is extremely bizarre for Brazilian standards (unless in father-son relationships). Kissing is suitable for informal occasions, used to introduce yourself or being acquainted, especially to young people. Hand shaking is more appropriate for formal occasions or between women and men when no form of intimacy is intended. Trying to shake hands when offered a kiss will be considered odd, but never rude. However, to clearly refuse a kiss is a sign of disdain.
    When people first meet, they will kiss once (São Paulo), twice (Rio de Janeiro) or three times (Florianópolis and Belo Horizonte, for instance), depending on where you are, alternating right and left cheeks. Observe that while doing this, you should not kiss on the cheeks (like in Russia) but actually only touch cheeks and make a kissing sound while kissing the air, placing your lips on a strangers cheek is a clear sign of sexual interest.
    • In Brazil showers are long and frequent. In fact Brazil is the only country that rivals Japan in the amount of time people spend cleaning themselves
    • Many Brazilians can dance and Brazilians are usually at ease with their own bodies. While talking, they may stand closer to each other than North Americans or Northern Europeans do, and also tend to touch each other more, e.g. on the shoulder or arm, hugs etc.
    • Brazilians like to drink, especially (very) cold beer (in pubs and in hot weather) and wine (in restaurants or in the winter). However getting drunk, even in a pub, is considered very unsuitable unless you are with very good friends and everybody is as drunk as you. People go to pubs to talk, flirt and tell jokes, not essentially to drink.

3. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Tickets are ridiculously expensive this time around. Cheapest ticket for non-Brazilians is $90.

I remember back at Korea/Japan 2002 when tickets were $30-40 each.

4. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

This stuff is great. Is like reading from an anthropologist's diary...

Keep 'em coming.

5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Staying Healthy in Brazil
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Food from street and beach vendors has a bad hygienic reputation in Brazil. The later in the day, the worse it gets. Bottled and canned drinks are safe, although some people will insist on using a straw to avoid contact with the exterior of the container.
    Bear in mind the heat and humidity when storing perishable foods.
    Tap water varies from place to place, (from contaminated, saline or soaked with chlorine to plain drinkable) and Brazilians themselves usually prefer to have it filtered.
    In airports, bus stations, as well as many of the cheaper hotels, it is common to find drinking fountains (bebedouro), although not always safe. In hostel kitchens, look for the tap with the cylindrical filter attached. In more expensive hotels, there is often no publicly accessible fountain, and bedrooms contain minibars — selling you mineral water at extremely inflated prices.
    Vaccination against yellow fever and taking anti-malaria medication may be necessary if you are traveling to central-western (Mato Grosso) or northern (Amazon) regions. If you're arriving from Peru, Colombia or Bolivia, proof of yellow fever vaccination is required before you enter Brazil. Some countries, such as Australia and South Africa, will require evidence of yellow fever vaccination before allowing you enter the country if you have been in any part of Brazil within the previous week. Check the requirements of any country you will travel to from Brazil.
    Public hospitals tend to be crowded and terrible. Most cities of at least 60,000 inhabitants have good private health care.
    Dentists abound and are way cheaper than North America and Western Europe. In general, the quality of their work is consistent, but ask a local for advice and a recommendation.
    The emergency number is 192, but you must speak Portuguese.
    Beware that air conditioning in airports, intercity buses etc. is often quite strong. Carry a long-sleeved garment for air-conditioned places.
    Although Brazil is widely known as a country where sex is freely available, it is sometimes misunderstood regarding HIV. Brazil has one of the best HIV prevention programs and consequently, a very low infection rate compared with most countries. Condoms are highly encouraged by governmental campaigns during carnival, and distributed for free by local public medical departments

6. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    The ticket thread isn't the place for it, and anyway, it's only scraped from http://wikitravel.org/en/Brazil

7. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know I love Wikitravel lol. Where do you think I should put it in the "travel to Brazil thread".

8. ArkUnited

ArkUnited Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Fayetteville, AR
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of mine and I are starting to plan going to Brazil this summer, If we were to go there without tickets, what would be the likelihood that we could find tickets around the stadium before the game? How inflated would the prices be if we could find some?

akalbert repped this.
  9. akalbert

akalbert New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I wouldn't because they would sell them 3 to 4 times as much.

10. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would not also but availability and price would be dependent on which Stadium and definitely the two teams involved so there is no hard and fast rule. Bulgaria v Honduras will obviously not be sought after like Mexico v Argentina.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Depends on so many factors. But be assured there will definitly be tix availabe around the stadium, bu as with any big sporting event the prices may be inflated. But depends on what game, whos playing, etc.

12. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have been to the past 2 world cups and many football matches, likelihood that you find tickets is very high and the prices shouldnt be that inflated, depending of a few select match ups. If you are going to look for tickets online, or brokers, they will cost 4-5 times more, however if you check with concierge, in forums, next to ticketing centers, they are not that bad. A friend of mine got a ticket for the Final in South Africa for $1000 from a concierge guy the day before the final. I bought mine from the Fifa site directly, if I am not mistaken it was $600. Not bad for a final, especially when the online prices were $2500+

13. JeffreyD

JeffreyD New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm in the same situation - myself and 3 friends are going. We plan to request 4 tickets for a few different games and have discussed different application strategies such as applying for 2 sets of 2 vs one set of 4, or doubling up on applications to increase chances of being selected.

We're going to apply for 4 seats but are debating if we should put in a 2nd app or not - if both were to get picked then do we have to purchase them? If so, is it hard to sell the extra tickets? I understand the demand aspect of finding buyers, but is it hard to beyond that? I know FIFA has changed to try and keep tickets from changing hands and resold by brokers.

14. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    You sure about that? That's what I intend to do... :D

15. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gonna follow this thread.

Going to the World Cup is a dream for me, and I'm still regretting that I did not go to the World Cup final in Germany, 7 years ago.

16. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    It would be handy to know what flags are used for detecting duplicate applications. The obvious ones Address and Card number. Passport number I'm assuming you can put anything down as it must be hard to check.
    Any thoughts on how to avoid the checks?

17. yessam1277

yessam1277 Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Haiti
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Both Germany 2006 and SA 2010, I had 2 different applications being successful. Ap #1 me and 3 Friends, Ap #2 Dad Mom Brother and a friend....
    was easy to pick up their tickets with no problem....they didn't check at the ticketing center, they didn't check at the games.

18. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I think you misunderstood. When applying you are only allowed x amounts of applications. They check for multiple applications and those applicants are removed from the draw for tickets.

So if for instance you have 3 credit cards and want to apply for 3 lots of tickets for 1 game in the hope of getting 1 lot, then they will cancel all 3 if they know they are from the same person.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It worked for me. But then again, I have 2 passports. There's no-way for FIFA to know I am the same person with more than one FIFA account. ;)

But, yes, your credit card will be charged as soon as you are successful in the lottery so there is a risk of paying for more tickets than you can use.

20. Kalifornia

Kalifornia Member

May 15, 2006
    San Francisco
    Y0u mean for the World Cup in Germany? I was not following the forum for SA, so I hope we'll get some help for Brazil from our friends the code-writers... :) ...yes, I'm baaaack! Signed: an old face from 2005-2006.

21. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    FIFA run a resale option later in the process, where your unwanted tickets can be bought by other people via the website.
    It was pretty effective in 2006 (didn't need to use it in 2010).

22. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    just kiss twice, if people in the location kiss 3 or once they will laugh and say. That is reason for fun and interaction, not for an awkward moment.

in southern Brazil, where it will be winter in June, one shower a day is more than enough. People in southern Brazil even skip showers in very cold days (but not more than ONE day) specially if their heating (water or home heating) systems are not good.

however, NEVER skip a shower in northeast Brazil. They take 2-3 showers a day. Its always summer there anyway, always hot.

that depends of location in Brazil. Don´t go around touching people you are talking with in the southern states (Rio Grande do Sul (Porto Alegre) and Paraná (Curitiba)). Probably not in São Paulo either.

23. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    actually, its quite spot on. However, the part about wearing a team´s jersey may be dangerous is only valid for BRAZILIAN team jerseys. Foreigners should absolutely not worry about wearing jerseys of their local clubs.

well, actually we brazilians have this thing with colors... example... Grêmio is BLUE (main), black and white. Internacional, Grêmio´s arch-rival is RED (main) and white.

DO NOT wear blue colors in Internacional stadium, nor red colors in Gremio stadium. If you are a Manchester United or Liverpool fan, wear your club SECOND jersey (if not red) when visiting Grêmio Arena. If you are a Chelsea fan, wear a second jersey (not blue) when visiting Inter stadium.

BUT, and its important, this is NOT VALID FOR THE WORLD CUP. Brazilian local football will be halted. Stadiums wont be used by the clubs. This thing with colors is only valid when brazilian clubs are playing (like going with a red shirt in a Gremio match).

In the Brazil vs France match for example, plenty of Internacional fans, with Internacional red jerseys, at Grêmio Arena. NO VIOLENCE INCIDENT AT ALL!

Also, there are hardly "club neighborhoods" in Brazil. Yes, usually a neighborhood that has a stadium will have predominantly fans of the team that plays in that stadium. But far from ONLY those fans. And other neighborhoods, its ALWAYS very mixed. So there is no worry of visiting a specific neighborhood with a soccer jersey. The advice as I said above, is mostly valid for STADIA ONLY, outside World Cup period.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Anybody ever had experience applying for a venue series ticket? I'm wondering if this would increase or decrease my chances of seeing matches. I want to apply for all 4 matches in Natal. My thinking is, if I use an individual match ticket and apply for all 4 matches separately, there is a good chance I will get to see 1 or 2 games, but unlikely to get all 4. If I apply for the venue series its either all or nothing.

Is my thinking correct?

25. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    This is the ticket thread, don't mess it up please with info that is suitable for the "Brazil" thread. It just gets messy and hard to find info.