World Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico, 29 June 18:00 CEST

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Quackmore, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    he so scrumptiouz repped this.
  3. Triangulito

Triangulito Member+

Jun 28, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have a bad feeling about this game. But then again, I had a bad feeling about the Australia and Chile games, as well as a really bad feeling before the 2010 semifinal against Uruguay, and in all cases the Dutch managed to come through :cool:

Penalties would in principle be quite a worrying scenario due to Holland's record, but Mexico's record isn't exactly stellar either. They also never won a WC shootout, and I think they only scored 1 out of 3 penalties in their 1986 shootout, and 1 out of 4 in 1994.

Holland at least have won their last shootout in a major tournament (2004), and since that time I generally felt more comfortable with their prospects (Robben, van Persie, etc). And if van Gaal had a substitution left to bring on Mr. "Penalty Killer" Vorm in the 120th minute it would be even better!

5. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I don't think anyone but neutrals is looking forward to a penalty shootout. I don't really want to go through the sheer horror of the 1998 shootout against Brazil again. I'm sure the Mexicans would also want the match settled before the extra time is over with their penalty record.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Same here, I have a bad feeling about this game as well.

If it goes to penalty's I have no trust in Cillessen. Your suggestion is one that has crossed my mind as well. Not only Vorm, also Krul is a better penalty stopper than Cillessen from what I have seen so far. One of those 2 should be brought in somewhere in the second half of extra time if we manage to get there. If Cillessen stays on he should at least listen to his keeper coach and use the info that is given to him. Not trying to be a smart*** like with the last penalty. They have stats on many Mexican players. Use it.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually is there a worse penalty stopper than Cillessen?

Krul and Vorm are better, but it goes beyond that.

Vermeer is better without question. Zoet might be better? Stekelenburg never a super hero with penalty's but maybe stopped one or two? de Ruiter from Utrecht?

Is Cillessen the worst penalty stopper from all the (serious) keepers with a Dutch passport?

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Jasper has never lost a penalty shoot out and it won't go to penalties either way imo. I think we will win in regular time.

Mexico have a bad streak against counter attacking teams and we've perfected it against Chile. Add our height advantage and I can see us doing damage to their defense in set pieces.

I like having Wijnaldum in midfield because we will have pace on both flanks. I have a feeling he's going to score a goal or two.

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How many penalty's has he stopped at Ajax/NEC? Just curious. I mean stopped, not that a taker sky's it.

10. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    According to his own account he's never stopped one, but somehow they keep missing or else he wouldn't be undefeated. I've seen people on VZ say that he oozes too much confidence/borderline arrogance. That must be it, opponents get nervous.

11. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vorm is an excellent penalty stopper isn't he?

12. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I agree and I think Messi will knock Belgium out (although I think USA stand a pretty good chance against them considering Belgium haven't really impressed in what was considered a weak group).

Argentina looked a lot better though once Aguero limped off and Lavezzi came on. They should be considered favourites if/should we meet them.

13. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Yes. Which is quite weird if you think about it considering Vermeer is also known for it and they're about the same height. Perhaps taller goalies are just slower to go down due to their body.

14. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Wijnaldum will start so hopefully Depay. We will counter attack so we need as much pace as possible. I won't mind if Depay gets a start and bring Clasie on in the 2nd half should/once we've gone up against Mexico.

Cillessen

Janmaat - De Vrij - Vlaar - Daley - Kuyt

Wijnaldum - De Jong - Depay

RVP - Robben​

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I cannot remember whether Cillessen stopped any penalties for Ajax last season. Vermeer Dodd and he is a phenomenal shot blocker, one of the best around. Unfortunately the rest of his game is dreadful.

IMO it is a defeatist attitude to even consider playing for penalties as the team gets too cautious in extra time.

16. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He says he never lost a penalty shootout, but when in his senior career has he even been in one? As far as I know neither NEC (2010-11) or Ajax (2011-present) even had a penalty shootout during their respective KNVB Cup runs?

It may be that his confidence to some degree increases the chance of an opponent missing, but in a World Cup that isn't good enough. He needs to be able to stop weak penalties too (e.g. Bernal and Rodriguez's efforts in 1994).

And unfortunately, given the likely temperature and humidity this Sunday, it's by no means likely that van Gaal will have a spare substitution available when the 120th minute comes by. Really hope Holland can put the game to bed long before this!

DRB300 repped this.
  17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So my memory was refreshed today learning again that they have a player in the Mexican NT called Gullit. I don't know if he is named after him, but he must be aware that he is in good company. The legend himself:

LGRod repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #93 Orange14, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    FIFA have assigned Proenca (Portugal) as the match official. He's been decent so far in the tournament.

19. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    3 yellows and 1 red card so far from him. He gave 18 yellows and 4 red card in his last 2 games in Portugal. :eek:

Will they use the fact that he's an UEFA referee as an excuse should we make the next round?

20. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    I have no idea. To be honest at first I thought you were singling him out because he came from NEC and you support NAC lol.

LVG should bring Vorm in should there be penalties if only for our opponents to think "oehh he must be good at this". :D

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There has been good discussions of the assignments on the WC forum on big soccer. We could have ended up v with Rizzoli or Brych instead.

22. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ^I thought a ref has to be from a neutral confederation? Or does that only apply to group matches

23. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #98 sonicdream, Jun 27, 2014
    Getting to know the Mexicans 101

Article # 1 : What's with the Mexicans' ******** problem ?

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  24. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #99 sonicdream, Jun 27, 2014
    Getting to know the Mexicans 101

Article # 2 : How Mexico will prepare for the match

Rebaño_Sagrado and LGRod repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, you cannot have an official from a country in your group or a country that you might play in the knockout bracket. Rizzoli (Italy) called the game with Spain in the group