World Cup 2014: Other Nations Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, May 13, 2014.

1. 19Scirea82

19Scirea82 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yes...trying to play defensively, most sides walk a tightrope. even the best/well-drilled 'defensive sides' can easily drift towards playing and defending too deep, where it stifles and smothers any semblance of attack/counter-attacks. santos' sides often fell into this trap.

one negative (to me) was santos' scheme. a 4-3-3 played more like the recently popular 4-2-3-1. to me....inherently defensive, the double pivot. 2 CDMs, is defensive overkill, especially since most sides in today's football play with only 1 CF. the defensive side already has 2 CBs x 1 CF, let's cover our extra CB with an additional CDM. ridiculous.

that scheme is result-driven and only the top sides in the world can play it, due to needing top-class FWDs to counter-balance the amount of defensive players. prandelli played this at times and i didn't like it for italy. a CM too old, too slow, not mobile enough.

my point about young talent in italy and in greece holds firm. we saw the youngsters of milan and the youngsters of olympiakos. all things being equal, the most likeliest of scenarios would be; if all those players remained on milan and olympiakos for the next 6 years and those same players met in an italy x greece international in 2020, chances are the italians would win; because the italian players will further develope and reach higher ceilings due to coaching at club level. at young ages, it's a coin toss.

as far as the greece football federation (EPO). i don't have one good thing to say about them. i have no idea what they have done with tens of millions of euro. obviously, they don't care about cultivating and improving greek football, they obviously care about prize and sponsor monies. many institutions in greece are corrupt to the bone, and there is a sense of entitlement with money and power that others have accumulated for you....the power you possess entitles you to money that the footballers have earned. not a fair world, for sure.

this is why EPO should send checks to the figc, the dfb, rfef, english fa...etc. the standards of those leagues set by these more serious and effective institutions have benefited greek footballers, and by default, enriched the pcokets of EPO.

2. 19Scirea82

19Scirea82 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    santos kept picking low technique/hustle type footballers. CMs who weren't afraid to bruise their legs in the tackle and run 9 kms over 90 minutes. he kept picking a small CF (salpiggidis) to play the right FWD position. this player can't dribble a downed telephone pole. it's like playing balotelli as a winger over candreva. the position screams for technique, but santos kept selecting salpiggidis because he 'tracks back'.

for qualifiers against lesser nations....it was barely good enough. at WC level, you're asking for a beating.

the greece side played better when 2/3 of santos' preferred CM was out and 2/3 of the FWDs rearranged.

right there is heavy proof that santos couldn't pick his 11, he mr. mcgooed his way to a R16. i'm glad he's gone and i feel that ranieri is higher quality.

3. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

hi guy, i'm here to promote a documentary i am doing currently about my experience of the world cup 2014 i had in new york city. i went to places all over to watch the games. i had a fantastic time. i documented my experience and i am here to leave you with a trailer of the documentary and will be premiering later in august. hope you guys enjoy it when it's uploaded.

for italy, i went to one game. an english bar in new york for their first game against england.

jerrito repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look who just became my facebook friend! Brazil's #1 GK Júlio César! Poverino.....

[​IMG]

LGRod repped this.
  5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Is he looking for a new agent to shop him around the MLS? :D

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think he left Toronto. I asked him and he says he is in England currently.

jerrito repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For fun you should tell him you can get him a try out for San Jose, but also mention the performance he put on in the semi final could be a deal breaker :D

jerrito repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our GK , Jon Busch although he is older, is much better than him.
    I've also become friends with Marco Reus and Harry Redknapp. How about that? Claim to fame! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

jerrito repped this.
  9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Well he doesn't need to know that. You could just tell him that you'd shop him to management then follow up a few hours later and say their response was

[​IMG]