World Cup 2014 - Group F: Preview & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria' started by jimmi_moh, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i saw all the goals. all i saw was laughable defending from both sides lol.

2. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Enyeama is just one of a kind lol. See what he did during our National Anthem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I went from 'full on tension' to 'rolling on the ground with laughter' !!!

Christina99 repped this.
  3. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yup! We tend to play our most entertaining football when our opponents aren't afraid to attack us. Our friendly against Mexico a few months ago has to be one of the most entertaining 0 - 0 draws I've ever seen. Even our game against Italy was a cracker.

Christina99 repped this.
  4. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    jealous

Safarigirl repped this.
  5. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    he seems like a super cool dude! that smile! he also had a bromance with Messi all match that was super fun to watch!

Sunset repped this.
  6. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    he is a pretty cool dude lol.

Sunset repped this.
  7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    AGUERO injured, will miss whats left of the WC :(

8. spuzzaccute

spuzzaccute Member

Nov 5, 2013
    switzerland
    Club:
    FK Sarajevo
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    bosnia played vs nigeria
    and lost to new zealand :D
    Too bad we didn't win
    'cause we have some unfinished business
    with france. :sneaky:

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Have to agree with persianfootball on this one. Not laughable, but poor.
    And the final 20 minutes were very boring - Nigeria not really pushing, Argentina either. Playing through the motions. Obviously Nigeria knew what was going on in the second match and decided to conserve energy. Argentina just happy with that.

But it must be said: This Argentinian defence is just waiting to be raped. Whenever Nigeria went forward it looked like a likely goal. Argentina also did suddenly go toothless when Messi was pulled off.

All in all 2 great Musa goals and 1 great Messi freekick stood out.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ok everybody, GROUP HUG!

[​IMG]

11. Safarigirl

Safarigirl Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You can go and finish it on your continent. There's an Euro championship coming up if I'm not mistaken :D

zahzah repped this.
  12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ? they beat ecuador 2-1, honduras 3-0 and lost to france 5-2 with 58% possession. the nati doesn't seem that defensive minded to me.

spuzzaccute repped this.
  13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i can imagine being scored on by peguy luyindula would leave some pretty deep psychological scars.

14. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Aren't they known for their tough defense though?
    How is France's defense by the way?

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Only conceeded in 1 game when they were like 4:0 up...
    That said teams do often regret playing reserves in their final game as it disrupts the flow of the team. We'll see... was this group really as weak as it seemed?

16. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    It's hard to tell if France's results were due to a poor group. Honduras is not a good team but they played France well until one of their players was sent off. The match ended 3-0 but one goal came from a penalty and the other from an own goal. France was very impressive against Switzerland (an inexperienced team however), not so impressive against Ecuador, but France made about 6 lineup changes so you really can't use that match to determine the strength of France.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    time will tell, they've hardly been tested.

lloris is an excellent GK, it all starts (or ends) there. varane is a boss in spite of his young age and sakho and he seem very complementary and effective. but sakko might miss some games now due to a thigh problem. koscielny would replace him but that puts varane on the other side, and in the absolute he hasn't been as good... though he finished last night's match with some strong play. neither starting fullback is a stellar defender; débuchy is decent but evra quite poor at it.

les bleus have shown they have a big potential to control the midfield despite having no real n°6; cabaye is the one playing the deepest but defending in that part of the field has been a real team effort; pogba and matuidi can be monstrous, and the latter truly has been. the former will have to step up his game or give up his spot to sissokho who has been playing very well in brazil and is a huge athletic presence.

where defense REALLY starts is up front and at this valbuena, benzema and griezemann have all dug in with great heart. giroud less so in pressing but providing a big target for long clearances is also a defensive quality.

Car123 repped this.
  18. Little_Dino_BIH

Jan 9, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    to be honest
    i'm quite proud of this

Attached Files:

19. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
  20. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Based on the results thus far in the World Cup, I would like for those that argue that Asia should have more spots allocated in the World Cup (which is something I emotionally agree with) but rationally how can one argue for more World Cup spots when likely NONE of the 4 Asian teams will make it the Round of 16. However, 3 of the North American teams out of 4 will be going to the Round of 16. And on top of that, Iran which performed the best thus far of Asian teams, is clearly a class below those that qualified to the knockout stages. TM can play 180 minutes of world class error free (or close to) football but NOT the necessary 270 minutes. It was obvious that the defense/defensive midfielders were fatigued from the level of defending they had to in the previous 2 matches.

So, basically, what I'm asking, how can one legitimately claim that Asia deserves more spots than it currently has?

21. Sunset

Sunset Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  22. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Team Melli return home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kwik-E-Mart, Ali(Iran) and Car123 repped this.
  23. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  24. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't think it deserves more spots but what you say might be applied to Europe as well. How many European teams are already out? Portugal, Italy, Spain, Bosnia, Croatia, England, and Russia! Does this mean that they need to reduce European participants too? Think about the other European teams that may and of course will be out in the second round

persianfootball repped this.
  25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, i think that's a good note to end this thread on. 200 pages, nearly 5000 posts. it wasn't the best group in the tournament but it was perhaps the best thread.

see you all in 4 years!

Ali(Iran), canis and spuzzaccute repped this.