World Cup 2014 - Group B: Preview & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by Matilda Maniac, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Teams : Netherlands Chile SPAIN Australia

My prediction for the Group stage:
    Spain 7 (gd)
    Netherlands 7
    Chile 3
    Australia 0

although I think Australia capable of a draw against either Chile or Netherlands, our defence is going to be too fragile at this level. The new coach Postecoglou will set up for attacking football, and we may even score a goal here and there, but let too many through at the other end, just from weight of possession against us.

2. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This result would mean that Netherlands will have to play Brazil next round. A nightmare scenario.

In your scenario Spain and Netherlands draw, but this will be very hard. I would be very happy with that result. I think Chili will go trough and one of the big names go out.

JAIME CHILE and davidjd repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Very likely for Australia to go pointless, but I have a hunch that one of Holland and Spain will fail in this group.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  4. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    Chile is playing very well and will give a tough game to every opponent. The weakness is that the squad is not deep and some players can fall to the mindgames and get a cheap red card.

This group will offer the best games of the first round.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  5. meck01

meck01 New Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    My prediction for the Group stage:
    Spain 7 (gd)
    Netherlands 7
    Chile 3
    Australia 0

Or

Spain 9
    Chile 6
    Netherlands 3
    Australia 0

I also don't think Australia will do much at this world cup - maybe nab a goal or 2, but we will be lucky to get a point.

6. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    this is one interesting group , chile playing its best of football , i am expecting a disaster awaiting for one of the finalists of 10 WC

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  7. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Agreed. I would not underestimate Chile.

Spain has plenty of problems right now, and who knows which Netherlands team is going to show up....the one which made it to the finals of WC 2010, or the one which crashed out of Euro 2012 by losing all three of its group stage matches.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  8. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Spain will come through anyhow. It will be between Holland and Chile for the 2nd spot. Chile has the advantage playing in South America but Holland normally gets good results vs South American teams. Australia needs a miracle.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #9 Rickdog, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    (I'm biased here),

my prediction :

Chile 7 pts. (draw to Australia, as we traditionally, always fvck ourselves against suposedly weaker opponents)
    Netherlands and Spain 4 pts. (tied in everything : same GD, same amount of goals, same loss to Chile, same victory to Australia, where Zidane (put there by FIFA) will have to take another ball from the pots they used for the WC draw, where Valcke, out of the sight for everyone to see, will take out the paper with the name of who will be the second placed team (very likely it will be France or Switzerland, if they don`t make it out in their group), to confront Brazil in the next phase. :p
    Oh yes, Australia 1 pt.

It is this ^^^^, or, in one of the games that Spain plays against either Netherlands or Chile or both, almost the whole roster of the team that faces Spain, will get carded with one of its players expelled (could be a double yellow or a direct red, actually doesn't matter), and Spain will get an unexistent penalty kick, where Spain will end with a one goal lead against its opponent, and they will pass to the next phase as first of group.
    Oh yes, and Australia as second of group.
    :D

10. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Basically, my gut says if there's a winner in the opening match between Spain and Netherlands, the loser will likely crash out. A draw and things get very tricky, but I'd lean with both advancing then.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  11. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Call me crazy but I think Spain could crash out at the group stage. They're an excellent team and possess the ball better than anyone in the game but there just seem to be some cracks in the squad that haven't been properly addressed.

I don't know if you can justify starting Iker Casillas or even bringing him with the squad if he isn't a regular starter. What message does it send to the guys behind him who are in form and getting game time with their club teams?

Is Alvaro Arbeloa going to start on the right after getting abused v. Brazil in the Confederations Cup? Or will be Azipilicueta/Carvajal?

Scoring. Negredo plays better with a partner but Spain haven't played two up top in years. Diego Costa has decided he is now Spanish- which in my opinion is complete BS (and it wouldn't surprise me if members of the locker room shared a similar sentiment).

Will Del Bosque be brave enough to rotate in guys like Isco, Alcantara and Javi Martinez? Or will he insist on sticking with the vets?

Some problems are good problems to have but I think locker room discord could prevent this team from navigating a very difficult group. The amount of travel this team has done post WC-2010 is also a concern it's like they're a traveling road show.

Moreover, Chile matches up very well with Spain- they met at the last world cup and played a bunch of friendlies in between- it's always been close.

My prediction is that all three teams wind up on 6 points- Australia picks up zero. Netherlands and Chile to advance.

Ric_Braz and JAIME CHILE repped this.
  12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think this one comes down to the last round. Spain will be in control of their destiny with an easy opponent ahead of them.

The real game will be Chile-Holland. The only question is do they both go in on 3 points, or will one of them have 4? If they both go in on 3 points this group may in the end be decided on who can run up the score on Australia more.

13. casperrrrr

casperrrrr New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    An Overhyped Chile, a poor Australia and two teams relying on aged players to make a difference... Don't know why this group should be so exciting.

Still Netherlands and Spain will go through relatively easy.

14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i'm going to the spain vs holland game and have 4 extra tix for that game. PM me your interest level.

i can see spain and chile going through. this will be one of those groups where spain, holland and chile each lose a game and tie breakers will be involved

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most top-heavy group in the tournament. Poor Australia. Chile are very good, and on SA soil, I have a feeling that Spain or Holland may slip up to them. Have the two finalists from the previous WC ever been in the same group the next WC?

Well, there are going to be some dynamite matches here: Spain/Chile, Netherlands/Chile, Spain/Netherlands. Wow!

I think Spain and Chile make it through.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  16. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    have you seen a full Chile match in the last 12 months?

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Not sure if Chile has the defense to really succeed. They have everything else, but in the heart of the defense I think they can be exposed especially on set pieces. They gave up 1.56 goals per game in qualifying. They gave up 2.5 per game against the other 4 WC teams from CONMEBOL. I know that's 4 of the best teams in the world, but really it doesn't get any easier in their group.

With Holland at least you can say that their defense isn't the greatest so maybe Chile can score on them too. But against Spain I'd say that a really disciplined defensive team that's hard to break down would have a better chance ... maybe a Switzerland or Greece

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I say Chile goes through with 5 points. They are not afraid of Spain. They are a better team than Holland at the moment (slightly).
    They start off with Australia and will be in first place since I think Spain and Holland will respect each other too much and get a 0-0.

The Dutch may be the odd men out here on goal differential.

Blue_Demon and JAIME CHILE repped this.
  19. Pablinsky

Pablinsky Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Maitencillo
    I agree with you here, there is a huge question mark on Chile's defense. For certain this group will have the most exiting games of the first round. Chile's defense will allow goals... but their offense will also punish you and they will hold possession.

20. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    With Sampaoli Chile has conceited 13 goals in 12 games. Not the greatest defence but this has been vs

Brazil (In Toronto and in Bello Horizonte)
    England in London
    Colombia in Colombia
    Spain (In Switzerland)
    Uruguay

To be objective, clearly Spain and Holland are favorites. Think we have a 25% chance of winning vs each of them. I actually think we will beat Holland and lose/tie barely vs Spain.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sorry no foreign goals on these 2 games.
    Both ended 2-0, in our favour.
    ;)

22. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We know ;)
    It was to show we conceited those goals and played against good opposition, not just any lesser team. Should have made myself clearer, my mistake.

23. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  24. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm less confident than my compatriots: I think we can get 5 points (this is a quite realistic prediction in my opinion).

Blue_Demon repped this.
  25. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Im ok with that, as long as Brasil gets second place.

JAIME CHILE, Matilda Maniac and Rickdog repped this.