World Cup 2014 - Group 5 - Norway/Iceland together again!

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by ZeekLTK, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norway and Iceland have been drawn together YET AGAIN! It's not a particularly tough group though, so Norway should be able to finally qualify to the World Cup for the first time since 1998, which would be a nice correlation since we would be playing in Brazil for 2014 and we beat Brazil in the 1998 World Cup. :D

The other non-Nordic teams in the group are not very strong, so hopefully Iceland can pick up some points against the other teams (besides Norway :D) to hopefully get into a better pot for the next qualifying campaign.

We've got the top seed here, so let's prove we deserved it by winning this group. Heia Norge!

Group 5
    Norway
    Slovenia
    Switzerland
    Albania
    Cyprus
    Iceland

2. iauk

iauk Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Birkenhead, England
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    If Iceland sort themselves out they should be able to take points from most of these teams, especially at home in Reykjavik.
    Could be a new coach for Iceland by then, because I am sure current coach Olafur Johannesson will go after the EURO 2012 qualifiers come to an end.

afram Island!!!

3. Wroom

Wroom New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK

Both Slovenia and Switzerland were in the last World Cup and did ok. So, this ain't no push-overs. And Albania, Cyprus and Iceland away is no cake in the park.

4. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The last time Norway played Slovenia in qualifying was fairly recently, for 2006 qualifying.

Norway won 3-0 at home, and Norway won 3-2 in Slovenia.

Prior to that we met in Euro 2000 qualifying where Norway won 4-0 at home! and Norway also won 2-1 in Slovenia.

We haven't seen Switzerland in a while, but we last played against them in qualifying for World Cup 1998 where Norway won 5-0 at home! and Norway also won 1-0 in Switzerland. Norway also recently won a friendly in Swizterland (1-0 in 2009).

These are teams that Norway usually has no problem with. We have also never lost to Albania or Cyprus before in our history.

I will be very, very disappointed if Norway does not win this group easily. To be honest I don't think we should even lose a game against these teams.

5. ifkgötet

ifkgötet Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Göteborg/Borås
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    I still feel Norway must be pleased getting this draw.

Sweden have Germany.

6. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has it occurred to anyone that Iceland could possibly come 2nd in this group? I mean if Estonia did it in their Euro group (which was tougher than this) I don;t see why not. Switzerland is on the rise however Slovenia is on the decline, Norway was the worst team on Pot 1, and Iceland has pulled off some solid results against them. Cyprus is crap, and Albania isn't that good. I'm actually predicting a 3rd place finish for Iceland in this group but if they can steal a result or two from Norway and Switzerland then look out!

7. iauk

iauk Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Birkenhead, England
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    Iceland finishing in second place would be a fantastic achievement. They have a new coach now, the Swede Lars Lagerback takes over on 1st January. He certainly has a great amount of experience at international level.

8. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    7/9 2012: Island – Norway
    11/9 2012: Norway – Slovenia
    12/10 2012: Switzerland – Norway
    16/10 2012: Cyprus – Norway
    22 or 23/3 2013: Norway – Albania
    7 or 8/6 2013: Albania – Norway
    6/9 2013: Norway – Cyprus
    10/9 2013: Norway – Switzerland
    11/10 2013: Slovenia – Norway
    15/10 2013: Norway – Island

9. iauk

iauk Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Birkenhead, England
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    ICELAND FIXTURES

07/09/12 ICELAND - Norway
    11/09/12 Cyprus - ICELAND
    12/10/12 Albania - ICELAND
    16/10/12 ICELAND - Switzerland

22/03/13 Slovenia - ICELAND
    07/06/13 ICELAND - Slovenia
    06/09/13 Switzerland - ICELAND
    10/09/13 ICELAND - Albania
    11/10/13 ICELAND - Cyprus
    15/10/13 Norway - ICELAND

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Qualifying starts today!

Does anyone know where I might be able to watch the Iceland-Norway game on a free stream? Kickoff is in 40 minutes!

11. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well, congrats to Iceland.

I didn't like our lineup, didn't seem very attack minded and I think that hurt us. But I thought King looked good when he came on, hopefully he'll start against Slovenia.

12. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Iceland could actually be in first place by October. They play Cyprus and then Albania - IMO they can win both of these games.

Norway gets Slovenia and then Switzerland. Much harder competition, but I also feel like we can beat them too.

Hopefully the standings after these games read:

1. Iceland
    2. Norway

Norway really needs to beat Slovenia or this could be a disaster already. Can't wait for Tuesday!

13. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    Yeah no shit they have a better group but I believe Norway was in pot 1. Norway was the team you were hoping for.

Instead we got the machine that has 18 wins 2 draws and 0 losses in the last 20 matches. If you get to be in the group with the Germans, you just have to fight for that play-0ff spot. Forget about beating the Germans to No.1

A true E-Hollywood (or E-Swedish story).....during the draw for the European cup QF I was crossing my fingers "Any team but Germany or Holland...any team but Germany or Holland"

They drew Holland

For the World Cup QF, same story as above, crossed fingers 2 teams to avoid.......we drew Germany. The two worst qualifying machines that Europe has to offer.

That being said, the Swedish team isn't what it used to be judging by todays performance. 2-0 against Kazakstan. They have serious problems with their attacks and creating chances. If todays match was an indication of what is to come, they will struggle to reach the play-off spot and lose out once they get there.

14. IFKgötet1

IFKgötet1 Member

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    IFK Goteborg
    I´m glad I mist our match today. Sounds like an aweful performance by the boys. Or wait a minute.....I still had a boring time building those chineese volvos at Torslanda;)
    I still hope we can rattle the Germans....but no.....It won´t happen as it feels right now. As you wrote, Play Offs is the realistic target.

Lagerbäck´s side lost today against Cyprus on away pitch. Norway won against Slovakia 2-1. Could be a tight group with the Swiss also there.

15. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yeah that was huge. The late penalty was a bit fortunate, but I'll take the 3 points!

*The match was against Slovenia, not Slovakia, though. :p

October looks rough, two away games for Norway - at Switzerland then at Cyprus.

Iceland goes to Albania and then hosts Switzerland.

If both teams lose to Switzerland then the campaign might already be over - Swiss would have 12 points and at best either of them would have 6. :/

16. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Switzerland 1 - 1 Norway - a road draw. Not bad, I guess. Switzerland doesn't get any further ahead and they lose one of their home games in the process. We need to beat Cyprus today though!

Also good job Iceland, they won 2-1 in Albania. They're sitting in 2nd place and could top the group if they beat Switzerland at home tonight! wow

17. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    stream of U21 match Norway - France . 3-1 pr now.

18. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Hahaha see i forgot the link . Well the U21 match ended 5-3 and Norway is ready for UEFA European Championship for U21

19. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    A 1-3 win for Norway today against Cyprus.

20. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yup, Joshua King is the key to this campaign in my opinion. He's really the difference maker, and I kind of doubt that we would have won today without him. It certainly would have been more difficult.

21. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Our BMG club officials sent him back to England because he allegedly wasn't good enough.
    Now we lack a fast striker to pair Luuk de Jong. Really nice.

Btw: How's Havard Nordtveit (our new Kai-Erik Herlovsen) doing with the national team? Playing CM or CB/RB?

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    O/T a bit but Iceland, Sweden and Denmark in the play-offs. Who would have thought all 3 would get there. Poor Norway. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Denmark unfortunately missed the play-off by finishing as the worst 2nd placed team ... If Italy had not managed that goal and a 2-2 result in injury-time last week, Denmark would be in the play-offs, but really it was the draw at home against Bulgaria and the Czechs that ruined it all... and the fact that Bendtner was out for most of the qualifiers and we at the same time were building up a new team of highly young talented players, but still too young to deliver at a consistently high level in the qualifiers .. so in one match we beat the Czech Republic 3-0 away from home, and then lost 0-4 at home to Armenia... at the end this team finally became consistently good and should have beat Italy, striking the woodwork twice in that match, but it was all just a little too late... though I'm positive this Danish team will qualify for the Euro-16 finals.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks I had spoke too soon. Sad you guys were so close. Really wrung up the goals on Malta.

25. maffi

maffi New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Only Iceland and Sweden stand a chance now to qualify for the World Cup in Brazil. It seems like Iceland with players like Sigthorsson, Finnbogason, Sigurðsson and Gunnarsson and Sweden with Zlatan are step ahead of the other Nordic countries.

It would be awesome to see Iceland in the World Cup. I think they can do it.

Some intersting reading about Iceland recent progress.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/14/eidur-gudjohnsen-iceland-croatia-world-cup

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/1067?cc=5739

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24931524