World Cup 2010: Your Portugal 23 - man Squad Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Joelzinho, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Yeah, that's something where he is very underrated. Also, I think that he is our best near-the-box passer; meaning = those short passes on the ground that split the CBs and spring somebody behind the defensive line. He's got pretty good soccer IQ + tactical awareness. Too bad he's not a little faster on his feet and not a scoring threat.

But I was actually thinking defensively. Tiago must have played as a DM with Assuncao? To hold back that Barca. midfield to few shots and even fewer goals (and a bit of a fluky one at that) is a great achievement.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pepe makes it back to play, I think Tiago can only come in as a sub/replacement for red. He and Raul Meireles will likely play along-side Pepe with Deco/Danny/Micael as CAM...unless Portugal doesn't play with wingers, which has happened as recently as last year.

3. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I don't understand. Who/what's red?!?
    Either way, I am not necessarily advocating that Tiago should start. I am saying that he could be an important piece of the puzzle - as a versatile sub who can play defense or offense or as a starter in a long tournament when somebody gets hurt, tired, suspended etc... I see Tiago as potentially filling as a DM or CAM, or sometimes even as RM/LM in a diamond formation.

I don't understand this either. Do you mean He OR Raul Meireles? Danny/Pepe/Raul and Tiago cannot all play at the same time.
    Also, don't forget that I think CQ imagines Tiago mostly as a replacement for Deco as a CAM. In my mind, a healthy, in form Danny would be our top CAM. Micael doesn't get a shot at it probably b/c he has zero experience on the NT, regardless of his talent. I am still hoping he makes it to the squad as a bench player, especially with Deco in such sketchy form and Danny as a complete question mark (how long has he been out by now?!?).

The mind reels at the idea of Portugal playing without Wingers. We are THE nation of Wingers. I suppose you are talking about the Diamond formation we utilized sometimes during Qualies. We actually weren't terrible playing it - we actually dominated midfield possession and played very up-tempo - but I don't remember us scoring once form that setup. There's no way we would try that against Brasil and it's unlikely we would try it against IC (in both cases I think we will play 4-5-1, with 2 DMs, to start).

4. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Assuncao was spectacular....

He still wants to play for Portugal..just saying the possibility is out there.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well under our most recent form CQ has implemented an interesting formation, one in which I like and I think works. He still plays with wingers, but he doesn't put one at each wing.

Ex:

---- Ronaldo -- Liedson ----
    ---------- Deco -----------
    Raul ------------------ Nani
    ----------- Pepe ----------

He used this type of formation for a couple games, and I think for one, that he is on to something. We became stabilized in the midfield, holding onto possession and not allowing opposition to CA. Our defense also became ROCK solid.

I think its due to the fact that we have a pesuedo winger upfront at Ronaldo, who plays as a striker or can drift out wide depending on how the defense plays him, then Liedson simply slots in. However, as you can see, we really only have Nani in a winger/natural position. So he is given the green light to get forward as much as he likes, with Pepe/ a DM and a speedy Bosingwa covering when needed. on the opposite side Raul acts as an anchor for the midfield, he mostly stays home. He doesn't sprint forward down the line like Ronaldo, or Simao would do. He's looking to play the ball, sometimes he will leak forward, but its more to find himself in the CM role once Ronaldo is pushed to the wing....

Tiago did the same thing when he was played there. Its an interesting formation, and one of the things I think CQ has done right, after tinkering in with the formation and lineup so often.

Of course, we could to the same old problem that we have spoken about here. Having Ronaldo out of position, not as much time on the ball....but if its gets the results it gets the results.

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Ah, ok - I had a feeling. He's a good DM.

However, I have to say that earlier in the year he made 2-3 really boneheaded plays that resulted in goals against Atletico.

That being said, I would still welcome him to the NT with open arms (if Spain can have a Spanish DM, why can't we have 2?! (Pepe and Asunc.)? :)

Lol..nah Paulo is alright, but I don't think he would bring much much quality to our side.

7. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I didn't write that. Very, very weird. Or did I? I am talking to myself now?!

Joel - did you break into my account??

8. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Yeah, I liked it too. For one thing, we had a lot more movement and we were less predictable. Against Sweden, instead of Liedson, Deco and Nani we had Tiago, Danny and Simao. Ronaldo, Danny + Simao kept trading places and Sweden was having a hard time adjusting. That was actually one of Tiago's best games (we played much worse once Deco came in for him and we switched back to a more typical formation).

But ultimately we were playing at home - to win - against Swe, hardly an offensive juggernaut. In the WC, against Brasil, can you see us start 2 strikers? Would that be genius or madness? (it would certainly surprise them - but no way CQ has the balls for that).

9. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red card...like if Raul picks up a red he can't play the next game..happens in tournaments...

It's between he and Raul to play besides Pepe, if hes healthy. That's what I said...
    And I put Micael because Deco is playing badly or rarely playing and who really knows with Danny...he hasn't played in forever it feels like. To be honest I don't know who plays CAM right now, which is tough as its an extremely important attacking position.[/QUOTE]

the fact that it happened in qualifiers still amazes me. if it happened then who knows what CQ would pull out during the finals.

I agree with the 4-5-1 against Brasil and IC.

10. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Anyone watch the Atletico Madrid vs Barca game yesterday?
    Simao was playing incredibly.

11. Viva Portugal

Viva Portugal Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Toronto - GTA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    didn't see the game. but i saw the highlights and Simao's goal was nice.

12. Força_Portugal

Jun 10, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. Tremocos

Tremocos Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i started a new thread on this Força_Portugal, but i probably should have just kept it in this 23 man squad thread ...thanks for putting the news in its proper place .. :)

either way, very nice to see these 3 get some recognition, especially Varela and Micael ..

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Excellent News! I really think Varela and Ruben have earned a spot. Not completely sold on Coentrao as of yet though, but I supposed the experience will be good for the kid.

15. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    This is great. Varela & Ruben have really earned it.

One thing I really like is that by June they'll hopefully have been playing together for 6 months. Add Bruno and Rui to the equation and we could actually have some guys on the team that have been playing as a team. When was the last time we had that?

Of course, as 1st timers, highly unlikely they'll get a start but...

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can't see Varela making the 1st team, too many options on the wings, and Liedson is still better then him. But I could see him definitely being used as an option sub.

I can't seriously see Micael however getting that CAM spot over Deco and Danny.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We gotta bring in young blood to soak up the experience. Their work ethic/energy is valuable and a must if Portugal wants to succeed. Rather have players who are in form and ready to play whenever called upon.

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    They might not be in the 1st team but it's great to have Varela and/or Ruben on the bench

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    has danny started a match yet? its march in a weeks time i rather have micae

20. Tremocos

Tremocos Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Deco has once again been seeing very limited action with Chelsea the past 3 or 4 matches (actually no action at all) ..apparently re-occuring knee problems..

Danny has yet to see a live match in almost 9 months if im not mistaken ..

Ruben may be our only legit threat come June .. he's in pretty fine form, and the move to Porto seems to have been a tremendous move for his prospects of making the NT. I was a bit worried that Ruben made a mistake going to Porto over Sporting, but he's fit in like a glove.

this talk and prognostication is obviouly all very preliminary, since so many things can change over next 4 months before World Cup.. but this could be a very interesting development

i will be very curious to see what CQ does for the China friendly on March 3rd .. only few weeks away! :)

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What he said! That is why we fail at the Euro/WC, Portugal never takes chances or even consider bringing players who are in top form. Varela is that type of player that can create and play hard. You need that.

22. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm hoping for Micael to play well in some friendlies before the WC and then Deco to get a small painless injury that will force him out of the starting XI ;)

23. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here is hoping that Coentrao/Micael and Varela get atleast 45 minutes in the friendly and more importantly all confirm their place in the WC squad. It seems just when I thought Coentrao/Micael and Varela would not have a chance to get into the squad the more realistic option Danny is in peril. Come on Danny (thanks CQ for looking at some of our Squad selections :p:D.)

It does look like Micael is the one most likely to actually play in the WC as has been discussed above. Then Varela due to our striker problems and Coentrao who I like the most is the least probable as he has to compete with Simao/Nani/Ronaldo and Varela/Danny? The worst thing that could happen to Coentrao is that he plays LB makes a epic mistake use him to help the LB without being the LB. LW or DM/Inside Left, he needs more time at LB in order to risk it in competitive games.

Goalkeeper (take your pick)
    Miguel Carvalho Meira Veloso
    Mendes Coentrao
    Danny Micael
    Liedson Varela

a formation I would try out against China whilst noting there are no restrictions on substitutes. A very attacking formation with Veloso/Coentrao/Michael/Varela on the left and Miguel/Mendes/Danny/Liedson on the right. Veloso/Coentrao/Miguel can push forward and Danny can play behind Liedson/Varela in front of Michael or go to the wings, Varela can stay up front or play the wings.

We have to see how the players that are in contention but are not definate or probable starters fare.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Varela has underrated speed, and skill.... he needs to play in the friendly.

25. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Ronaldo was amazing this morning, the best performance in a real madrid shirt.