World Cup 2010 - Total of goals scored

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Soccerfever, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Well after 2 matchdays,5 matches have been played,and a total of 7 goals were scored.In Germany in 2006,8 goals were scored on matchday 1(2 matches played)......Let's hope that more goals will be scored in tomorrow's matches...:eek:

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    5 games played, not a single goal scored by a striker.

3. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I doubt Germany will change that either considering the form all our strikers are in.

4. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    The way ithings are going in the Algeria-Slovenia match,this could well mean that the amount of goals will remain like yesterday(for now) though there are two more matches today to wrapup matchday 3.

5. timdcfc

timdcfc New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Heskey wouldn't score if there were no keeper in the net lol

6. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    After the Group C match between Algeria and Slovenia,it's now 8 goals in 6 matches....just above 1 goal a game...:(

7. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Probably has something to do with the long balls often floating away from the strikers for a goal kick. How many times have we seen that in the last 6 games?

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it's almost easier to think of the crosses and corners that haven't been overhit.

FIFA seem insistent on bringing in a ball that behaves like a cheap ball bought from a supermarket rather than a proper one, thinking it'll result in goals flying in from distance. Instead it just results in countless passes being overhit and shots flying high and wide.

9. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    If the lack of goals goes on like that,this World Cup's goal average will truely be ugly!!!:mad:

10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Plenty of games to come, including the top favorites, the weakest teams, and the matches between them. This may be a sign of something, but it's really too early to tell.

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems this time around the way the seeding has been done, the first matches pit the 2 group favorites against each other, and the 2 underdogs against each other. Whereas previous WC's typically had the top seed versus the bottom.

Seems like the issue with goals is that the first games look to be pretty decisive, therefore teams are avoiding mistakes and accepting draws instead of risking putting themselves in a bad position by losing the first match.

12. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    7 matches played so far and the amount of goals scored has yet to reach two digits! :eek:

We're currently at 9!Which is still disapointing/unbelievable.

That should change when Germany faces Australia later on...

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Hurray! A striker has scored a goal at the World Cup!

It does seem this way, but you're wrong. It was luck of the draw that several "2nd favorites" seem to be drawn as A2, B2, C2, etc. in their groups.

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well we still have a lot of games to go but if the rest of the World Cup plays the same as the first few days it will be the worst since 1990

15. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    more worrying than the lack of goals is the over all lack of quality from these teams. other than south korea, argentina, and the US these teams have looked terrible. when i see 3 passes strung together it is surprising. teams like slovenia and algeria have no business being in a world cup. this is the result of having 32 teams instead of 24.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I really attribute a lot of the poor passing (especially long passing across field) to the new ball. I know everyone is making excuses but I've seen the majority of these players play club ball and they look considerably better there. That mixed with the altitude and lack of decent playing surface (ground looks hard) makes for a really fast moving and high bouncing ball. Anything that isn't on the ground has been too long, as evidenced in every match thus far.

I do think there should only be 24 teams also, but oh well.

17. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    no way. the ball is a bad excuse. it was being used in MLS, Argentina, Bundesliga, amongst other leagues, long before the world cup started.

let me ask you this:

did argentina have any problems with the ball? no

did korea? no

did the US? no

teams like england are ALWAYS off in tournaments. other than gerrard, terry, and johnson england sucked! lampard and rooney were invisible! this is the same thing as the last world cup for them. i would never expect england to play good football.

algeria and slovenia are just awful

serbia and ghana? what was serbia doing playing the long ball all the damn time? they have so many skilled players i was shocked at how bad they were. zigic is terrible. anyone who picked serbia as a sleeper team obviously didnt realize you have to be able to score to advance. zigic is a joke

these are the reasons why goals are down and quality. the ball IMO is not the issue. wait til we see germany, holland, brazil, spain, chile, etc. these teams will not complain about the ball.

also remember, the way the draw worked out the big teams aren't playing the minnows til later on. i expect to see plenty of goals as this tournament progresses (i hope :eek:)

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    13 goals in 8 matches = 1.625 goals per match.

Thank you Germany, all goals scored by strikers and they were all in open play.

19. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Muller is not a striker.

20. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, his position is hard to define. He played as winger today for germany but he is kinda a supporting striker just as Podolski.

21. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Well, on the DFB page, Podolski and Müller are both forwards... On the other hand, the system we officially play is a 4-2-3-1, which means that Podolski, Özil and Müller were attacking midfielders... personally, I think you could as well call the whole thing a classic, 60s-style 4-2-4, Podolski, Müller, Özil and Klose being the 4 strikers ;)

22. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Just call me Nostradamus. :D

23. nico002

nico002 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Argentina v Nigeria could have easily been a 4-2 game, bad luck changed that to a 1-0 victory for the argies.

Give it some time.

24. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I'd like to see a Germany vs Argentina match, with their potent offense and so-so defense it could be a high scoring match for the ages.

25. starcade

starcade New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    3 days, 8 matches, 13 goals (1.625 per), and that's with Germany's four-spot on the Aussies.