World Cup '10 spot allocation

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by PanchoM, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    What is the difference between the OFC and AFC having a playoff and the OFC champion playing home and away against the best of the AFC? It is certainly much, much better for the OFC champion to be guaranteed eight+ matches.

2. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Agreed, even when Aus was still in Oceania and FIFA promised a full spot, I would have much rathered that spot being given to Asia and top 2 from Oceania battling it out in final round of Asia quals.

3. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But be honest the Oceania winner doesn't actually have a chance to qualify...

4. Edgar

Edgar Member

Host - 1
    UEFA - 14
    AFC/OFC - 4.5
    CONCACAF - 3.5
    CAF - 4.5
    CONMEBOL - 4.5

5. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Said like a true Australian:mad:

6. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Vanautu:4 NewZealand:2 :p

7. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Definitely not our finest hour but points to Vanautu for playing some very good football.

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well, Blatter just announced yesterday in Egypt that he wants Africa to have 6 teams in 2010. I wonder how this will change things. So, the host spot obviously goes to South Africa...and then we still have 5 teams which have to qualify from CAF. But, this means that Europe might lose a spot because Germany has to qualify again. And then AFC will also complain that they should get another spot if Africa gets one more. The AFC president is rather bold in his declarations...he has said in the past that he wants like 7 spots or something.

9. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AFC needs to STFU until they can send someone better than Saudi Arabia.

10. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    This isn't how it should be, but this is how it's going to be. Europe loses a spot every tournament, no reason they won't again this time.

Host-1
    Africa-5
    Europe-13
    Asia/OFC-5
    CONCACAF-3.5
    S. America-4.5

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Having heard what was actually said it wasn't a demand for 7 spots. It was more along the lines of a long term goal for AFC, with the proviso that the playing standards improved to the point of justifying it.

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If Africa get an extra spot as host then UEFA will get 13.5. Expect a mad scramble for who loses the half spot. My bet is that OFC will lose it and be brought into AFC qualifying, either as a part of the qualifying group or a playoff to see who goes into the final playoff.

13. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Your scenario is what I hope happens. I think at least one fringe teams from another confederation should have to beat a European team to get to the world cup. If they do, then they really earned their way in, and didn't just beat Bahrain.

I just think Asia will be able to argue that they have five teams in the world cup this year (with Australia) and so they should get 5 slots with OFC added to them. I don't think FIFA will keep them at 4.5. People from Asia and CONCACAF will argue that Europe really has only 13 this year plus the host, so if you give africa an extra one for their host, logically the spot should come from Europe.

14. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If the amount of places for Asia stays the same Saudi Arabia will most likely not qualify since Australia will now go above them.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yeah. but you know what's hard to believe is that saudi arabia were undefeated in qualifying. yikes. i'm not sure how bad they are now. i mean, they did tie sweden today or yesterday. i'm not sure who sweden called up, but yeah, i agree that they'll probably get bumped out by australia.

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but you have to figure they'll at least land the play-in spot. I think at least one of the leading teams from Asia should have to stay home. Would make it more meaningful.

17. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    WC2010 allocations:

UEFA 14
    Africa 5+1
    Asia 4.5
    Oceania 0.5 (Play-off Asia vs Oceania)
    South-America 4.5
    Concacaf 2.5 (Play-off South-America vs Concacaf)

Let's see whether the US can still qualify for the WC with this allocation...

18. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    It should not be a problem for the US since they qualified in 1st place this year.

How about this for 2010 :

Each team that makes it to the round of 16 in germany earns 2 spots for their confederation in 2010 ?

What would be the argument against that ?

19. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    WC quals are also for developing football in rest of the world. How about this:

1 spot for each team from confed in final 16 = 16

Plus host = 17.

This leaves 15 spots shared proportionally amongst confeds.

UEFA - 52 countries - 4 spots
    Africa - 52 countries - 4 spots
    Asia+ Oceania - 56 countries = 4 spots
    Concacaf + Conmebol - 45 countries = 3 spots.

So Uefa could get Max 17 spots, but based on last WC - 13

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What possible rationale is there for taking spots from Concacaf before Asia or Africa?

21. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    The teams would still need to qualify for the next WC. Its only the amount of allocations that is determined .

The World cup finals should not be a stage for teams to develop their skills . Imagine if this where to happen in Boxing ; You wanna learn to box ? go a few rounds with the world champion. :D

22. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asia getting 4.5 spots is way too much, though with Austrailia joining, it might be best ot keep it at that, because now they can a semi competitive team in the playoff spot. There are 4 decent teams in Asia, and after that the quality just drops off to an extent worse than in Concacaf. Besides that the two top Asian teams Korea and Japan, have yet to prove they can win outside their own continent, and Saudi Arabia and Iran have yet to prove much at the WC stage period.

That said I believe Concacaf shouldn't get no more or no less than 3.5 spots. T&T got lucky with an easy semifinal qualifying group, and a team like Jamaica got screwed out of a spot in the final 6. Jamaica is definitely more talented, and I don't see a team like T&T qualifying again for a while after this.

23. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Well, suppose no Asian team qualifies for the second round? Then not only would they have no spots for 2010, but by your formula they'd never get to compete in another World Cup.

24. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Other than being anti-CONCACAF, and assuming that one CONCACAF team makes it to the round of 16 in Germany; what is your justification for this allocation?

25. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    So one lucky goal, odd refereeing decision or marginal mathematical fluke can decide how many teams go to the world cup four year later?

All sorts of crap teams often get through to the last sixteen, you just need an easy group and a bit of luck. Would you say that Paraguay are better than Argentina?

For 2010 the places should be handed out like this:
    Africa: 6 (5 + hosts)
    Europe: 14
    Asia: 4 + 1 playoff
    Concacaf: 3 + 1 playoff
    Conmebol: 3 + 1 playoff
    Oceania: 1 playoff

Africa need the extra place otherwise the qualifiers would be too long, and even good teams don't qualify from Africa now. The place is taken from Conmebol who can get half of their teams in which is ridiculous.