World Cup '10 spot allocation

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by PanchoM, Dec 13, 2005.

1. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I will give you that this shows progression.

But, this doesn't mean that they are necessarily the future of the beautiful game. Portugal pretty much showed everyone this with their wc failures.

2. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Sure you are making a valid point. But Europe has 14 teams so if one fails the other fills in. Senegal was doing well without winning any youth championships. When they had the chance in the world cup they went all the way to the quarter finals beating the defending champions France. It is a shame we are not seeing this team in this world cup. Cameroun seems to have one of the best teams in the world today, sad we wont see them in the world cup either. This is the prize you pay when you have 53 countries fighting for 5 spots. If Argentina and Brazil were to be in Africa they will not be coming to the world cup as often as they do. This means that whatever experience gathered in a previous world cup goes unutilized since by the time you qualify for the next world cup your players might not be as good as they used to be. For example ETO of cameroun may not be the same player in 2010.

3. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get carried away. Argentina and Brazil would qualify in ANY federation in the world. Even CAF and UEFA. These two side are continually two of the favorites to win it all because they bring strong teams each tournament. When their key players go down injured, they are deep enough to bring in youths that are often stronger than the injured player.

If you were talking any other teams in CONMEBOL I might agree with you, but not the top two.

4. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    The last ime I checked, I was surprised too see only 3 Europeans team playing finals of finals in the world cup since 1982. Italy, France and Germany. Obviously Europe is dominated by these 3 teams, and maybe England(was in the finals 40 yrs ago) and Holland 1978 finalists. It is not like that in Africa. No wonder defending champions have been beaten by African teams( France----Senegal, Argentina-----Cameroun).

5. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What this tells me is that these countries have a solid group of players that go through their ranks at the same time. However, they don't have the continual flow of talent at all age ranks. The CAF teams need to continue to send players abroad in order to sustain the growth in the region.

Look at all of the countries you named from Europe. Each team has a good league to help continue the growth of talent at all age levels.

6. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I would have been on the same frequency with you if I had not been watching matches between Brazil/Argentina and Ghana/Nigeria/Cameroun consistently and critically. I usually use the olympic teams of these countries. Remember Brazil use almost 80% of its players who won 1994 world cup to play Nigeria during the olympics in 1996 including Bebeto, Ronaldo and Romario. Nigeria beat them 4:3.

7. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and who has won the wc since? France and Brazil. I don't see Nigeria.

Did Nigeria make the cup in 2006? Hmmmmm, no.

They had a good group of players that went through their system, and they are no longer one of the top teams in CAF, let alone the world.

8. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    You are right. Brazil was finding the going tough from 1970 to 1994, until they began sendiing their players to Europe. Soccer involves technique, skill and money.

9. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Fortunately, Nigeria is still one of the finest in Africa. They are not coming to this World cup because of change of rules. They had better goals advantage than Angola, unfortunately angola has a better head to head count against Nigeria. They all had the same points.

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. It was one of the best soccer games I've ever watched. But while Nigeria's determination to come back from 3-0 down at the half to win was phenomenal, it was just one game. Over a 10+ game qualifying campaign, Brazil would always make it out of a CAF group.

11. happii20

happii20 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Sure you may consider it as one game. They did the same thing against Argentina to win the gold. Nigeria, Cameroun and Ghana do not often meet Argentina or Brazil. However, let us pray that there will be more competitive matches among this teams for us to make an informed decision. Until i saw the Ghanaians outplaying Brazil in 2001 youth cup I never imagined that was possible.
    Recently Gambia beat Brazil under 17, 3 goals to one.
    The west Africans seem to be splendid, no wonder three of them are coming to the world cup. If Nigeria had made it, we would had 4 teams out of 5.
    Watch out for these West African countries:
    Togo, Mali, Burkinna Fasso, Guinea, Ghana, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroun, Ivory Coast and even Sierra Leone will soon shock the world at the senior level.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Aeroplane technology isn't up to that. Travelling half way across a continent mid-week for a game before going home for a league match on the Saturday is feasible. Going half way around the world to do the same isn't practical.

For a start it would be home and away, and Mexico are a very average team who would lose to many teams in Europe and South America, rendering the Azteca game meaningless.

June 21 1970, Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - Brazil 4 - 1 Italy

Yeah they had some trouble there...

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Brazil would, but Argentina might struggle if they were in a difficult group with say Holland, Portugal or Italy.

14. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Yeah cause when it's a neutral site both sides have the same disadvantage. :rolleyes:

Try these results:
    Mexico vs. Brazil all time at Azteca
    27-JUL-03 Mexico 1 - 0 Brazil
    13-JUL-03 Mexico 1 - 0 Brazil
    04-AUG-99 Mexico 4 - 3 Brazil

15. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Azreca is home for team Brazil against any adversary but Mexico.

16. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    The fact is that Mexico never play any top teams competitively at the Azteca. Brazil send the reserves to play in qualifiers and the copa america, never mind friendlies.

Even if a European team went to Azteca and only got a draw, they'd spank them at home at least 4 or 5 nil.

17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what evidence would any team in the world beat Mexico 5-0 in a meaningful game?

18. GOYA-GOYA

GOYA-GOYA Member

Dec 15, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eurosnob

That is the proof.

4 or 5 to 0?

Italy 1: Mexico 1 in Korea

Sure

19. n.waleed

n.waleed New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Common guys, don't go both extremes
    i am from the big fans of the Mexican teams especially the 1994 beautiful team.

Mexico today is one of the big teams in the world and is very difficult to beat. I dont agree that any European team would beat them 4 or 5 easily in europe. You need to be really strong team at your best to beat Mexico at their good days.

However, Mexico is beatable even in Mexico. Mexico hosted 2 wcs and managed only to be in the QF. If we take a look at the wc history, we would find 6 incidents when the nation hosted the wc failed to reach the semi-final:
    - Mexico 70 + 86
    - USA 94
    - Japan 02
    - Switzerland 54
    - France 38

I used to play football with mexican friend and he used to say we are the best team to play the game between the two penalty boxes. He meant, that at ciritical times, Mexico allows easy goals and miss easy ones. This why they play great games but didn't advance a lot in the wc.

For me, if you take out the top 5 european teams, Mexico is as good as any of the rest.

20. edvc_van

edvc_van New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Canada
    lol. you're a fulham fan?
    just coz your Mcnugget went to play there?
    that's pathetic.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do the teams I support have to do with this thread?

That was the single worst strawman I have ever seen on the internet.

22. ferx203

ferx203 Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Chile
    - Host = 1
    - 1/2 place by confederation = 3.
    Geographical Playoffs : UEFA/CAF, CONMEBOL/CONCACAF, AFC/OFC
    - Best 14 teams in the last 2 world cups = 28

Simulation with results of WC 1998 and WC 2002

A) Best 14 teams, last 2 world cups
    - Europe = 9 WC98 + 8 WC02 = 17
    - Conmebol = 3 WC98 + 1 WC02 = 4
    - Concacaf = 1 WC98 + 2 WC02 = 3
    - Africa = 1 WC98 + 1 WC02 = 2
    - Asia = 0 + 2 WC02 = 2
    - Oceania = 0

B) 1/2 place by confederation + Host (Germany)

C) Final Distribution
    - Host : Germany
    - Europe : 17 + 0.5 = 17.5
    - Conmebol : 4 + 0.5 = 4.5
    - Concacaf : 3 + 0.5 = 3.5
    - Africa : 2 + 0.5 = 2.5
    - Asia : 2 + 0.5 = 2.5
    - Oceania : 0 + 0.5 = 0.5

23. PirateJohn

PirateJohn New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    California
    Well, if 8 out of the 16 second round slots -- fifty percent -- go to European countries, then if we're strictly using second round qualification to determine slots, their number of slots should actually go UP to 16.

24. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The proposal curently before FIFA that the OFC champion joins the final AFC qualifying round to give the AFC+OFC 5 spots is an excellent one.

25. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That would mean Japan,Korea,Australia,Iran and Saudi Arabia/China all at the World Cup...I don't agree with this. 1 of them doesn't deserve to be there unless they win a playoff.4.5 is the maximum they can give to Asia IMHO.