World Champs. You prefer Club or National team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoccerScout, Dec 14, 2005.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    World Champs. You prefer Club or National team?

2. mrdeeds

mrdeeds New Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For my country to win would be more exciting IMO. Then again, by country is Canada :confused:

3. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    What kind of question is that??????

Of course is winning the WC.

Any club team can become World champions if they get a Abrahimovic, besides, the Intercontinental Cup / World Club Cup is played once a year.

Since the end of Italy 1990 (not counting it) only 2 countries have won the WC in those 15 years.

4. spursman

spursman Red Card

Nov 29, 2005
    herts, england
    stupid thread :confused:

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You honestly want me to choose between the pinnacle of the footballing world and some meaningless competition that no-one takes seriously? I'll have whatever drugs you are on.

6. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US
    i could care less about another crap money making scheme FIFA is running. id rather watch my team the World Cup any day.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd also take winning the World Cup, whether it is England or USA winning the World Cup than Arsenal winning the european league.

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the world club championship is a wash. the question should be four straight champions league wins against one world cup win. then id have to think about it. id probably take the four club trophies :cool:

9. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Its funny you guys think this is a stupid question. You are actually all my lab rats. Ill explain.

This same question was asked by a Brazilian jornalist on his blog yesterday, to a 100% Brazilian crowd. OVERWHELMINGLY, 90% would rather have their club win the FIFA CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP than Brazil win the WC. Quite the contrary from here.

I guess the explanation is easy, Brazilian are 5 times World Champ and would love to have club bragging rights. Obviosuly here in the US most people woul prefer the US win the WC. It makes sense on both ends.

I love it how you guys call the FIFA Club championship meaningless. Brazilians take it VERY seriously , maybe the rest of the world should learn from the people that Rule the soccer world. There was a time that England and other Euro countries shunned the World Cup also... hw things change huh?

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    when was that? i remember when Juventus won it and i really didnt care. only good thing was the fantastic goal Alex scored.

11. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax only played for the Worldcup once in the seventies while they won the European Cup three years in a row.

The club and players didn't feel like travelling to the other side of the world so the South Americans champion got the Worldcup without playing for it.

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Huh? reread what I wrote.

I said WORLD CUP....in the early days Euro Countries didnt care much about the WC like in 1930 and even up to 1950...

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    aaah my bad. funky then that a european country won both world cups in that span.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not true.

- In 1971 runner-up Panathinaikos represented Europe.

- In 1973 runner-up Juventus represented Europe.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it would be great if Boca at some point could win the club title, just as it was great when they won the intercontinental cup three times.

But really, as great as it is, it is not in the same level as winning the World Cup. When you win the world cup it is the ultimate, you can trully brag and nobody can shut you up, because everybody in the world participates, and nobody can use the lame excuse that they weren't really focused on it, like the Euros do when their clubs lose against the South Americans.

16. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I didn't know that, my bad

17. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
  18. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Wo the ******** cares about the world club championship??

I'm not decided though what would make me happier, my beloved hometown club Hannover 96 winning their first Bundesliga title in 50 years or Germany winning the WC this year?!

19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Hannover would not only have won the German Championship, they also would have had to win the Champions League the year after to participate in the World Club Championship.

What would get you more excited? Germany winning the World Cup or Hannover winning the highest European trophy? (plus, as a bonus, the World Club Championship).

20. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001

And FIFA dont make money from the World Cup??

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the european countries didn't exactly "shun" the first world cup. I think the prospect of a long boat trip to Uruguay kind of put them off. Saying that, four of the nine were from Europe at that first world cup.

Holders, Uruguay, seemingly didn't think the world cup was that important as they "shunned" the 1934 and 1938 world cups, and only Brazil went from South America to the 1938 one.

England weren't at any of those three. Popular myth has it that they were too arrogant to take part, assuming themselves to be world champions by default. If fact all four home nations were in dispute with FIFA during that period and none of them entered as a result.

ps, you don't think the results of this little survey, which does tend to point to South Americans thinking this trophy much more important than european fans do, might just add a little fuel to the fire of the excuse that the european clubs just don't have the same hunger to win it as South American clubs?

At Least Liverpool sound like they've gone into it with the right attitude, whereas Man Utd in Brazil gave the impression that they'd all the enthusiasm of reluctant performers at a karaoke night.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Liverpool is game. Kind of shocking for an English club, but good for them. I hope it turns out to be a good final, even though Boca is not there.

As far as countries shunning the World Cup, Argentina sent an amateur team in 34 and did not participate in 38, because the clubs did not want to give up their professional players to the national team. The reason being that after the 1930 world cup the Italian clubs snatched all the best Argentine players, and Argentine clubs did not want to lose their stars by exposing them to the Euros again.

How times change! Now the Argentine clubs want to show off their players to the Euro clubs, in the hopes of making a quick buck.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i definitely think the south american clubs take it more seriously. they have something to prove. that even if they lose all their biggest stars, theyre still on level with whoever took them away. that they can compete at the highest level with only a fraction of their budgets. thats big thing in anything in life. that being said, when the game is on i think everyone wants to win. its just not rated that high in europe.

24. soccerguy3119

soccerguy3119 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    i would want my country to win just cause

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There you go. This is the reason the World Cup is more fun to me. Plus, there's no club within 500 miles of me that'll ever be invited to this tourney.