World Baseball Classic - groups set

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Achtung, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group A
    Japan
    South Korea
    Taiwan
    China

Group B
    USA
    Mexico
    Canada
    South Africa

Group C
    Cuba
    Puerto Rico
    Panama
    Netherlands

Group D
    Dominican Republic
    Venezuela
    Australia
    Italy

You know, I had my doubts about the viability of such a tournament, but after watching the guys last night going crazy over their countrymen in the Home Run Derby, I think this thing could have a chance to be popular, especially in the Americas and Asia at least. It won't get to World Cup status anytime soon, but any progress is good. The DR and US have to be initial favorites.

2. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    If they manage this thing well it should be 18 great days for sports fans .
    I hope the big teams release the stars to their respective National teams .
    Ishiro for Japan ,Martinez for DR ....etc. I'm looking forward to it

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    After watching the national spirit exhibited by the Venezuelans and Dominicans last night at the HR Derby, I don't think those countries will have much problem fielding damn good sides. I'm worried about the USA, because a lot of our successful players will likely have an "I'm bigger than this" attitude about tournament baseball. I simply cannot imagine someone like Bonds being bothered to represent his country. Dontrelle Willis sure seems psyched for the tournament, though, and he was the main USA cheerleader last night.

I also thought it was funny that Manny Ramirez was hanging around with the Dominican flag wavers last night, and I hope that was simply because David Ortiz is his teammate. Even though Manny was born in the Domincan, he was raised in the Bronx and became a citizen last year, so hopefully he's going to play for USA. Any Sox fans heard what his plans are?

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    You must be a citizen of the nation you represent in this one-- does he have dual citizenship?

5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They pretty much have to. It's being run by MLB for MLB players (but also including outside players).

Players will be paid to play and there is also finanical incentives for the winners. It's designed to allow the stars to actually play and serve as a good competitive spring training tournament for the players. There's a ton of money involved with the expectation that this will showcase the best players in the world, so don't worry--they are going to play.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, both Manny and A-Rod have dual citizenships with the US and Dominican Republic. I would expect Manny would play for the DR and I've heard rumors that A-Rod might elect to also play for the DR.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    This really doesn't seem fair somehow-- isn't it a bit premature to condemn him for a sentiment he hasn't declared yet?

I would think that a man who has tried so long and hard for a World Series ring would jump at the chance to win the first World Cup as a substitute... Say what you will about him, but he has great pride, and I'd think he'd want to be a part of future history...

If not, Lugo's a pretty good player :cool:

And who else-- do we think Jim Edmonds won't be there? A-rod? Jeter? Brian Roberts? Jim Thome or Derreck Lee or Richie Sexton? Varitek? Clemens wanted to pitch in the Olympics... these guys are the type who show up even if its raining...

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Oops! Well if A-rod goes AWOL, I guess we'll be "stuck" with Blalock or Figgens or Glaus or Rolen or Jones or Ensberg. But the Dominican will be the serious favorite... wonder if they've ever won a world championship in anything...

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Could be. Guess we'll have to see. Health could play into it as well. If he doesn't come back this season, he might not want to risk his health for the '06 MLB season.
    Like someone mentioned above, A-Rod could play for the DR.

I'd love to see the rest of the guys you name, as well as Rollins, Willis, Chavez, Kotsay, Buehrle, Peavy, Sheets, Chipper, Loretta, Texeira, Kendall, LoDuca...********, the list goes on and on and on with gamers.

Maybe I was being a bit presumptive earlier, but I think Team USA in this baseball tournament could have some of the issues of recent Team USA basketball sides, with different superstars snubbing the team for a variety of reasons (don't like coach, health, disinterest, whatever...). Guess I'm just jaded from those basketball fiascos.

10. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Boy, Teixeira showed up tonite, huh... no argument with the MVP, but...

12. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    That's ok. If Gary feels that way, then GARY CAN STAY HOME. Great player. Bad attitude.

13. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    What's the dealy-O? Is there some rule that Curacao and Aruba can't play as the Netherlands Antilles like they do in FIFA? Why do they have to play as the Netherlands. Just because the Dutch government was stupid enough to bestow knighthood on Sir Sidney Ponson (albeit, that was BEFORE he started being an obnoxious drunk, punching judges, menacin people on his jest ski, driving drunk, etc), does that mean that the NA has to play as the "Netherlands"? That was bugging me when I saw Adruw Jones in the HR Derby.
    I am just plain GEEKED UP for it. I have been since it was first discussed. I don't know what kind of team that the US will send. We may not win it all but we will be competitive.

My prediction is that the only country that will have big name guys turning down call ups will be the US. Let's put it this way--I bet you Pedro doesn't decide to not pitch for the DR so that he can rest his arm for the Mets...

14. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Hey, Gary didn't get the email or the memo. Selig needs to resend it.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I got that information straight from the public relations official for the MLB Commissioner's Office when I talked to him in May. The best players should be there...but some spoiled million dollar premadonas might try to act remiss about it. However, I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as bad as it was for the Olympic bball team selection since this is basically a high-level spring training tournament.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says the manager of the US team would even pick Sheffield for his team? Brian Giles, Trot Nixon, or J.D. Drew would be better choices anyway. Shef is more than welcome to stay home if he wants.

17. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Sheff would definitely be considered for the roster if he were interested. That's just a reality. I think that most people who agree that he would be considered...

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aruba separated from the Netherlands Antilles in 1986, and they have separate federations both in FIFA and in the International Baseball Federation. If the players represent their Caribbean territories, Arubans and Curocaoans would have to be on separate teams, but representing the Netherlands they can play together, thus making a stronger team.

19. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks a lot for the "411" Noah E. Way to break it down...

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Agree-- right field is Sheffield's if he wants it and I was kinda being sneaky in my earlier post in not mentioning a right fielder; because if anybody's gonna cop an attitude, its him.

But Trot Nixon is a far far better player than people realize, and Drew when healthy is awfully good; and Giles isn't chopped liver either...

The US will be able to field a very representative team...

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are some of the top Mexicans in MLB? I can only think of pitchers Esteben Loaiza and Oliver Perez. Is Vinny Castilla Mexican?

And why isn't Colombia or Nicaragua participating? they would be a better choice than Italy...

22. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Vinny Castilla--That cabron is definitely mejicano, huey. :D
    Also playing for my Nats is Luis Ayala. P And Antoino Osuna. P

Don't forget about my O's Rodrigo Lopez P. We also have Geroniom Gil C.

Then there is Eurbiel Durazo with the A's.
    I thought the same thing myself. I'm sure that it gets down to the CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me).

They both should be there. I say China and Italy out--Los Nicas y cafeteros in... But I'm sure that it is cash related.
    Grow the game in China--you can make mad cash.
    Italy--They bring that "European sexiness and allure" or something like that. Plus, you can get a bunch of US born Italian-Americans (good grief, not like theres a shortge in MLB--there's more there than MLS) to play for Italy to make the team more competitive.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Nope- they have to be citizens for this one...

24. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the rules will be that players must be citizens of the countries they choose to represent, so none of the sort of thing we saw in Athens with Greek-Americans playing for the Greek baseball team.

Holland and Italy are supposed to have pretty decent baseball leagues, relatively speaking. I can't say I've ever seen a game of Italian baseball, but I wouldn't be surprised. Given the marketing power of Major League Baseball, the sport has a chance in almost any country where cricket doesn't have a stronghold.

25. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Not to mention A's relief pitcher Ricardo Rincon, who's from Veracruz.

But he sucks, and if Mexico is even considering using him, I say bring Fernando Valenzuela and Teddy Higuera out of retirement first.

Ruby will likely be on the Mexican team as a DH/1B/PH.