Working title... Diogo Dalot joins Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How do you guys see dalot role in the team this season? I forgot about him for a bit.

3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    There are so many games, he'll play right wing, left back, and right back. He'll become more versatile which is good.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Tbh, I feel like Ashley Young will be the first option off the bench, for fullbacks. Just how I am reading Ole.

He talks a good game about youth, but last seasom he only used them when forced too. The team was struggling fitness wise and moral wise.

Barely a cameo for the kids.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dalot will likely be 4th in the fullback pecking order behind the starters and Young. The question will be how much time he gets at RW. He'll get used but the purchase of AWB is going to make it really hard for him to get big minutes. He's better going forward than any of our fullbacks but defensively he's pretty awful.

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He's probably going to be 3rd choice RB, but not by much. He'll be 2nd choice next year, during which time he can work on his defending.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah and chasing fourth who doesn't think that is the optimum time to bring on youngsters. Maybe judge him on a full season when he has a pre-season to assess players

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Were we chasing 4th in out last 2 league games?

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    What are we gonna do with him? With Williams appearing to be the future at LB and Laird seems to have a chance as the future RB or at least be a backup to AWB.

I think with our lack of depth on the flanks could we use him as option there?

10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Both Dalot and Laird have opportunity to be AWB backup but Dalot can play as RW ansd has better technique.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Keep him and develop him. He's a good young player and we need to have options.
    If we ever want to use 3 at the back, I would want AWB to be one of the 3 CBs and Dalot as the WB. Failing that, rotation and failing that, he can play RM in a 442 for the rare occasions when we want to deploy that formation.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's got big competition in Wan-Bissaka for the RB spot, but I hope he gets some type of chance soon under Ole. He's got something that can be useful to this team and hope he'll have the opportunity to showcase that at some point.

14. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think he could play in the Midfield on the right, especially if his crossing and passing is better than AWB apostrophe s

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I most definitely would like to see him deployed in that role. James can still be useful in games where we are expected to be on the back foot and rely heavily on the counter. As the game vs Wolves showed again, he's a waste in games where he does not have the space to make his straight runs at speed.
    But the rest of the time, Dalot is absolutely my choice to play in that role. Don't think it's out of bounds to suggest he's probably the best player we currently have for the RW/RWF spot.
    Given the options on hand, it's certainly worth the shot based on what we've seen from him there. Let's get him involved more though now that he's fit again.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont see Dalot unseated AWB anytime soon because defensively hes nowhere near as good and never will be. But he could be an excellent RB/RWB against teams that bunker and/or could unseat Shaw/Williams in the LB role. Its not like anyone has really taken that spot yet, although Williams is pushing hard for it.

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    With james tired and out of form, he could be slotted in at RW.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Castles is also suggesting that Dalot is not happy and wants off. Can't blame him, if we're being honest.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting, as there's been little evidence that Ole really values him (unless it's the higher ups who do).

Very likely it's the same reason they put the kibosh on Romero's move there as well...

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really hope we don't give up on Dalot. He's got a really good skillset for a FB. His profile is one we lack completely: 6ft, quick, aggressive dribbler, good technique and a developing crosser. He's not clueless defensively and if we work with him, he can be an asset. As things stand, he'd be useful as a backup RB, RWB or RB in a diamond.

Anonymous_United and jnielsen repped this.
  22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @johno Agree and it makes so much sense that i know it wont happen :/ .

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Chin up. Milan wanted a clause to make the deal permanent and we refused. I think even if Ole isn't particularly high on him, someone at the organization is.

24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC