Work this one out!

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Jonah, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Jonah

Jonah New Member

Cardiff Captain, Graham Kavanagh Looks one of the most acomplished central midfielders in the 1st div. A creative, attack minded Midfielder who scores regular. Virtually injury prone all his career. Every other game he is awarded man or the match.

And yet! he cannot even make the ireland squad
    because we obviously have to much strenght in depth in this department.

Holland -no problem here
    Kinsella - Can never make the Villa team
    Healy - Can't even regularly make a Div 1 club team

But wait it get's worse!

Quinn - 2nd division player

Please! somebody help me to work this one out

Jonah

2. WishyWashy

WishyWashy New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Good point, and well made.

Ideally Delap and Healy would stay injury free and play regularly for their respective clubs, as they are our most likely alternatives to the Holland/Kinsella pairing. Apart from the possibility of grooming Stephen Reid for it and if Sean Thornton continues his impressive development, I can't see why anyone else should be looked at ahead of Kavanagh.

3. Junior_Manc

Junior_Manc New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Manchester, England
    Liam Miller,

Has been appeared for Celtic from the start of this season as either sub or from the start and looks a great prospect.

Lambert is out for Celtic tonight, so hopefully he will figure in some CL football at some stage.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    When you say

'Healy - Can't even regularly make a Div 1 club team'

You forget to mention it's an Irishman, Sean Thornton, keeping him out. Healy hasn't had a chance with Sunderland yet, after they got their first win in ages McCarthy, in keeping with his usual style, decided to be loyal to those who started that match for the next few ones. As a result, Healy, who wasn't fit enough to play against Preston that day, hasn't yet broken into the side.

He did start yesturday as far as I know, but that was only as an emergency right back which he was forced into being through injury.

5. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    And, as a result of McCarthy "keeping with his usual style", they've won every game since as well. Or should he bring Healy into a winning team anyway just to help out Ireland?

I agree with the original point - Kavanagh's worth another look in midfield.

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Well, they won every game until last night, when Healy started :p

7. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Erm, fair play...

Where did I say anything like he should bring Healy into a winning team to help Ireland or what he was doing was wrong?

8. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Everything McCarthy does is wrong, he's a terrible manager. I really don't see Sunderland getting back to the Premiership with him in charge.
    It would be good to see the likes of Thornton, Miller, Kavanagh, etc get a run out. We should have played them against Turkey, after all is that not what friendlies are for? I think it would be foolish to bring them in for the Swiss game.

9. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Yeah I agree about the Turkish match, what a complete waste of time that was. Miller and Reid should definitely have gotten run outs, Thornton too but I don't think he was fit, maybe even Barret.

Not entirely sure about Kavangh myself, lets wait and see how he's doing later in the season, promoted sides usually have a habit of going on a good early season run which would make their players look better then they are.

10. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Maybe I just read it wrong, but your other post came across as just another swipe at McCarthy ("in keeping with his usual style", etc). My fault then, sorry.

11. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Kavanagh's looked a cut above in the Division Two for the last couple of years anyway, and I think he's well capable of continuing his current form. He already has international experience as well.

12. Jonah

Jonah New Member

"You forget to mention it's an Irishman, Sean Thornton, keeping him out. Healy hasn't had a chance with Sunderland yet, after they got their first win in ages McCarthy, in keeping with his usual style, decided to be loyal to those who started that match for the next few ones. As a result, Healy, who wasn't fit enough to play against Preston that day, hasn't yet broken into the side"

True! And personally I would like to see Thornton in the Ireland side also. What Has been missing from our midfield since Roy's departure is an all-action central midfield player. Someone who can run with the ball and attack through the centre instead of sitting back just infront of the defence and playing entirely to the wings.

For me, playing 2 holding type midfielders cannot work. I would like to see either Holland or an in-form Healy in this roll with Kavanagh doing the end to end stuff. I would also like Thornton on the right
    in a Beckham type roll, supplying the guile and crosses:

-----------Holland
    Thornton Kavanagh Duff

Jonah

13. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Well it is in keeping with his usual style of being loyal to the players who get results, and weather good, bad or indifference that's why Healy hasn't had a proper look in, it's not being very fair on him at all to say he can't get a game for a first division side as he will break into their side it's just a matter of being patient with him.

As for Kavanagh, well I wouldn't mind seing him get a chance, but I'll reserve my judgement on him until I see him a bit myself, can't go wrong with a friendly cap though I suppose.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic