Work out help

Discussion in 'Player' started by Chicharito352, Mar 22, 2012.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Initial thoughts are that you're either working out too hard too often or you're constantly varying your lifting routine. Usually, the body adapts quickly to the exercises so you stop getting doms.

2. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Squat - 3 x 8 - 25kg

Lunge - 3 x 8 - 20kg

Deadlift - 3 x 8 - 30kg

Calf raise - 3 x 8 - 20kg

I do light weights cos I don't want my legs to get any bulkier particularly.

3. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011
    That weight won't do you anything good when it comes to strength.

4. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes I know pal, but I run 100m in 12.5 seconds now so power wise I don't need to do weights. I also jump around 40cm.

I have quite bulky legs anyway, and doing big weights just wouldn't be in my best interests at all. It's strange.. Cos honestly, the weights I do aren't heavy but the repeated DOMS I get is nasty. It lasts about 4/5 days usually before I finally manage to massage it away.

It's probably why I'm always a bit cautious to do it now. Maybe I should ramp the weight up..

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on what I do, I don't do a lot of heavy weights either. My legs are strong and I can do what needs done on the pitch, so I'm not trying to ruin what I have going on. Weight training for my legs is about just getting a stronger. Not massive gains in size and power output on a one rep max.

Jon, have you measured your time in agility type tests or shorter distances? 100m times don't tell us much in terms of application to football.

That's interesting that you get DOMs so frequently for the weights you are training with—you consider it low.

6. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you run track? I used to sprint in high school and understand the light weight lifting as well.

7. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    JonisAnOwl,

I think you are about 16-17, if I remember correctly. Not sure of your weight, or experience with strength training, but the weights you are using are too light to do any good. If you are doing a circuit training routine, I can understand the weights, but you are not challenging yourself. Yes, there will be some size gains, but if you think your legs are bulky, my initial thought is, you have poor flexilibity.

8. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I am not sure of the association of light resistance strength training and sprinting, but those two don't go together, and not sure of the logic behind that.

9. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

I am bamboozled with some of the comments I see on here with the I don't do heavy weights either, my legs are strong comments. I cant stop laughing!!!!

There are a number of components associated with athleticism, one of which is strength, and you have got power, and so forth. So, while you think you can do everything you need to do, and you don't do heavy weights, fact of the matter is, when you come up against me, you can do your fancy footwork, but when you try to accelerate past me, because I am stronger and more explosive, I will shoulder charge you into the ground. After you have tried that a couple of times, you will stop trying to accelerate past me, and shoot from 40 yards out. Then your game will be so predictable, it will be like men against boys.

10. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

JonisAnOwl,

If you are getting DOMS, you need to look at warming down better, also foam roll and stretch after. For me, I don't get DOMs for about 36-48 hours after lifting, but I focus agressively on regeneration, so I am able to lift on my usual days.

11. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly what we did in high school and college, and I was under the tutelage of Olympic sprinters at the time. The reason I asked was he mentioned the 100m time and I remember making great gains in high school while doing track workouts (from 13.3 seconds to 10.9 in the 100m). I was doing heavy lifting with my legs, but it led to lots of nagging injuries. After taking the advice of coaches and lightening up my load, my gains came dramatically.

12. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comments like this really don't help.

13. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I plan to do that in the coming weeks with some fitness testing.

14. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, I run track. I used to be faster, but I'm just recovering from a knee injury and still not quite at the strength that I used to be.

15. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm 17, yes.

I currently weight 62kg (lightweight I know) and have been lifting for a while now.

I'm not strong by any stretch of the imagination. I can do 40kg/80lbs bench for about 3 reps, not tested my 1 rep max for squats but can comfortably press 200kg+, deadlift is about 35kg as I have a weak back and need to sort that out.

My physio has given me a flexibility routine to combat my knee, so generally my muscles are a lot more flexible than most people.

I'm only 5'8 too. And I don't want to particularly start lifting 50kg+ in anything yet, not until I'm fully developed.

16. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Burst out laughing at this.

I prefer playing big, 'strong' people as they're f*cking clumsy. I get fouled all over, I'm always faster so use my movement to get the better of them. Running at them with the ball is a no go so I just do a little 1-2 around them and they're toast usually.

If they're fast + strong though.. A lot tougher.

17. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I tend to get it within 24 hours which is strange for me. I'll think about stretching and so on.

18. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Charge me into the ground? Isn't that a foul?

You're not the only one that's played football here, so let's not get into what you will or won't do. It's just not provable on an internet message board.

Do you lift weights like a body builder would? "Heavy" would be 80-90% of my one-rep max. So there is still a level of resistance even at 50-75% of max. Plus, as matherold said, you need to have variety. Do I never do explosive power lifts? No. Generally I don't.

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. In terms of track, you're definitely doing right. In high school, my running weight was 160-165 (72.5-74.8kg) but heavy lifting caused me to have problems with my hamstrings and hip flexor muscles (that and the fact I'm from Michigan, where we'd run meets when it was snowing out). Lighter weights helped me recover from those injuries and post the fastest times of my life.

20. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, your times are very impressive. I'm not entirely sure what it is, but all the fast people who play football seem to have muscular problems!

21. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing is, I wasn't getting hurt playing soccer. It was just track. In soccer, I was a striker, which allowed me to use my sprinting abilities to beat the defense and use my strength to hold off defenders.

22. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

elessar78,

You said, you only lift light, and don't go heavy. That is different from saying you lift with different speeds, or different resistance, or different reps.

Charging you into the ground is perfectly legal, not sure of what leagues you play in, or watch.

23. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The assumption seems to be that if someone is "stronger" they are clumsier, which is not true. If they are doing the integrated program that you are doing, and have good soccer IQ, they see the 1-2 coming and they will accelerate and put an end to that.

Why is everyone making all these sterotypes of a stronger soccer player? The stereotype that is if you are stronger, you are clumsy, or you cant accelerate, you cant change directions quickly? Or, you should only lift light weights. If you are getting injured lifting heavier, it is because you have an imbalance, that needs to be address before you can come back to lifting light weights. However, not challenging yourself in the gym, and doing the same light weights is a waste of time. C'mon, if the athlete is training all these components, then he can strong and fast, and probably accelerate better than the less trained athlete.

24. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol

'stronger' people tend to be bulkier/taller. I can't be arsed to go into like all the details.. But taller people have slower reactions than smaller people.

25. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Laughed at this too. I play in the most aggressive country in the world.. And you can't 'shoulder charge' somebody into the floor my friend.

Maybe if you're having a kick about in the park.. But not in proper football.