Work out help

Discussion in 'Player' started by Chicharito352, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Chicharito352

Chicharito352 Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I need help to get make a good work out and training regimen. I think my physical condition is holding me back from becoming a better player. I am a bit on the heavy side. I have a strong lower body but a weak upper body I want to even it out. So I don't get out muscled easily. I also want to get faster and in better condition. I can last a whole game but I don't think I can make it through extra time.

So basiclly I want to get better faster stronger. I heard that the best way to lose weight is by building muscle. So I want to drop the extra weight, build of my upper body and get faster.

I guess I should start with push ups pull ups sit ups and stuff like that and running. but I don't know how many to do or if I should do it in the morning and night and things like that. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. Impossible6

Impossible6 Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Have access to the gym? Google "Starting Strength". Also go on Bodybuilding.com, a lot of the stuff on there is relevent to sport, and it's essential to have the knowledge before you start working out.

3. matherold

matherold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Gaining muscle is important for all of your goals. Push ups and pull ups are great upper body exercises, but you will want to use resistance training on your entire body, legs included. If you have the mentality that "soccer works the legs", move away from that.

Cut some calories (say bye-bye to candy, bread, soda, and dare I say pasta) and you should be looking and moving better in no time.

4. Impossible6

Impossible6 Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    I disagree, I've always believed that weight gain/loss is decided by calories in vs calories out.

5. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disagree with cutting carbs. If you want to build muscle, carbs are vital.

6. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about someone like me just looking to lose weight? I got a lot of muscle already, but a lot of weight around it. Looking to lose at least 50 pounds in the first year and ultimately get close to 180 (currently 265). What do you think...cut carbs altogether? Low on carbs, higher on protein?

7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Weight reduction (low calorie) diets seldom work because the vast majority of dieters gain the weight right back after they go off the diet. Best to eat a well balanced diet. Cut the junk food. Cut the fast food. Subs good. Salads good. Burgers and fries bad. Skip combo meals. Get a burger and milk instead. Drink fruit juice and water instead of sodas. Fruit. Nuts. Whole grains. Yogurt. Increase your exercise. Its all about burning more calories than you take in. Get enough sleep (lack of sleep throws off hormones and makes you overeat). Regular exercise helps regulate your appetite.

Remember you need to increase the amount of your exercise as you lose weight because the lighter you are the less calories you burn for the same activity. If you want to maintain your rate of loss.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/footballdevelopment/medical/51/55/15/nutritionbooklet_neue2010.pdf

8. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, all of that is pretty straight forward. I was inquiring as to the low carb diets (there's another post in this forum about the paleo diet, where people give up everything but meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables).

9. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never think carbs should be cut for a footballer. Just do a lot of long-distance cardio to cut the fat off. If you want to lose weight then you need to have a calorific deficit.

blazindw repped this.
  10. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, thanks for the advice!

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I don't know how I could have said it clearer. Eat a balanced diet including whole grains.

"Long distance cardio" aka jogging is an "anti-soccer" workout. Low intensity cardio work like jogging or biking will likely burn muscle rather than fat. Unless you are a couch potato lacking basic aerobic endurance, jogging will not improve your soccer performance. Soccer involves anaerobic activity. Any physical activity burns calories. The more intense, the more calories burned per hour. You might as well do something that will improve your soccer performance.

12. Vaporism

Vaporism Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This may be of some importance, although this is a NFL video, the same rules should apply to any sport.​
    I would definately not cut carbs out completely, just decrease them.​

13. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not "anti-soccer" at all.

It's an absolutely vital cornerstone of any training regime.

Also, fat is used as an energy source for these long-distance runs. Therefore, fat will be burned off instead of muscle. Why on earth do you think big, massive bodybuilders do long-distance cardio and not sprints? Hmm?

Short sprints uses GLYCOGEN. Which is CARBOHYDRATES. Once all of these have been used up, the body then turns to muscle as it's an easier source of energy to break down than fats.

If you want to cut fat, you MUST do long-distance running. I accept sprinting is more suited to 'soccer' (it's football), but this guy is trying to lose weight and maintain muscle. So please do not give out false information.

blazindw repped this.
  14. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Sources please.

15. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My specific question was aimed at JonIsAnOwl. I ran track as a kid/young adult so I know about the balanced diet. My question was specifically about his thoughts on a low-carb diet.

Definitely agree with this part. As a sprinter, we always carbo-loaded before races because we needed the quick energy for the 11-24 seconds we were running. But, we also ran long distance so that we had the endurance to sprint at a high speed for the entire distance. Soccer incorporates all of those elements, but for me, long distance running is going to be a part of my workout.

16. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Good decision. Professional footballers do both, but it's not specific to football... Hmm.

Doesn't make sense to me!!!! *sarcasm*

17. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have too many sources to name them all. Some from lectures, other from physios, some from Professors.

I couldn't possibly name every single one of my sources. Do a quick google search and you'll find I'm right. But there you goooooooooo.

18. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. As a former sprinter, I really do enjoy getting on a track and doing some wind sprints (helps me in my basketball and soft/baseball game), and I'll do some of that too. But, running longer distances makes sense.

19. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011
    This one "If you want to cut fat, you MUST do long-distance running."

Why would you have to do long-distance running to cut fat?

20. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    You are the one giving out false information. Fat burning vs. muscle burning is not a simple issue. The degree of fat burning vs. muscle burning varies with the intensity and duration of the exercise. The keys to soccer being great at fat burning is the intensity (random periods of anaerobic exercise) and duration (90 minutes). If the match lasted longer fat sources would be exhausted and the player would begin burning muscle.

People who advocate middle distance (marathon distances burn muscle) cardio as being the best at fat-burning are making assumptions about the duration of the exercise. Namely that the cardio duration is going to last longer than the high intensity exercise. In other words the low intensity exercise will burn more fat, not because of efficiency but because of longer duration.

The reason I say jogging is anti-soccer training is because it promotes slow twitch fibers over fast twitch. The simpler way to say it is to train like you play (random intervals of varied intensity). Any coach should agree with me on that. Once a player has a base of aerobic fitness, further aerobic training is ineffective compared to anaerobic training.

21. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Please. :ROFLMAO:

Are you seriously suggesting people don't do long-distance running to burn fat? Really?

I'm not saying people should go and run for 3 hours or whatever, but 30 mins or so of aerobic running is a great fat-burner. I have no more to say on the matter.

blazindw repped this.
  22. thejaccen

thejaccen Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I've got to agree with rca2 on this one, you don't have to go out for a long-distance run to effectively burn fat, you don't even have to move out of your chair to do so.

23. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey look, I'm not looking for an argument. I apologise for being aggressive earlier, it was unneeded.

I believe in long-distance running for burning fat, you may not. Each to their own! :)

24. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Apology accepted.

Weight loss results from burning more calories than you consume. It is simple physics and doesn't matter how you burn the calories. You can sit on a couch all day, or jog, or weight lift, or swim, or play video games. As long as you consume less than you burn you lose weight.

"Fat burning" and "weight loss" are related, but different concepts. I don't use them as synonyms.

25. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Here is an ariticle from a website for professional trainers and therapists explaining how high intensity exercise will actually burn more fat than low intensity exercise. (There is a lot of conflicting information on the net on this topic, but I trust this article.)
    http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/burning-fat-myths-and-facts

I think a lot of confusion is caused by articles written for endurance athletes, body builders, and non-athletes wanting to lose weight. Soccer is not classified as an endurance sport. It is a transistion-game sport. Training like an endurance athlete is not helpful for soccer.