Words, words, words

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by dmonahan, Oct 23, 2003.

1. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    I watched my first Rangers game yesterday (sorry, guys). I'm always interested in words and names. I asked if anyone around me in the pub knew what "Ibrox" meant. No one did (mostly ManU supporters). Is it a company that bought the naming rights?

While I'm asking, what's the origin of "The Old Firm", which seems to be used to describe Celtic and Rangers together? Or a game between them?

Then, while trying to find answers to the above on the net this morning, I came across "bhoys" as a nickname for Celtic. What's its origin?

Dick.

2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Ibrox is the area the stadium is in.

3. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    The Old Firm refers collectively to both teams in any sort of context (business, sporting, etc).

"The Bhoys" is supposed to be a rough approximation of the weegie/oirish way of saying "the boys", it's that simple. You'll also hear them referred to as Tims, which is a bit harder to explain, but refers to the Catholic background of the team. I have on occassion heard all Catholics referred to has Tims or Left footers, from the (somewhat insane) idea that catholics use their left foot on the shovel and Protestants use their right.

I think some of the better names/words in Scottish fitba are Heart of Midlothian (though my sympathies lie with Hibs), Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Third Lanark (pull out the history books kiddos), and Queen of South.

4. manic jambo

manic jambo New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Edinburgh
    Absolutely correct !!

5. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    I think the historical background is the business side of football. A firm is another word for a company. Ever since their early days, people have realised that Rangers and Celtic were great money making opportunities (until Murray gave Advocaat £80m, ;-)) - particularly when playing each other, given the attractiveness of the match (for more than just football reasons).

Tim is short for Timothy. The idea with Celtic's Catholic background, and Timothy is/was seen as being a "Catholic" name. Therefore Celtic fans are Tims (ie Catholics).

6. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

Timalloy

As a tim, I cant remember us ever being refered to as "the bhoys" before the arrival of german midfielder Andreas Thom (silent H) maybe it was there but it seems to have just exploded as a popular nickname in the last decade or so, we were always just tims in my day.

7. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been told that "Ibrox" means home of the badger, or something like that.