Words Used The Most to Describe Countries

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Doppel, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Doppel

Doppel Member

Jun 21, 2014
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28247716

"Experts have compiled a database which reveals the words most frequently used to describe countries at the World Cup.

The Cambridge University Press study of a range of media sources found the words most associated with England were 'exciting', 'disappointing' and 'inexperienced'."

[​IMG]

Mostly for the lulz, but worth a check. Some are accurate, but some are wrong.
    How would you describe them?

Neuwerld, superdave and 1a Schnitzel repped this.
  2. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The list is good for a few laughs, some countries are spot-on, others sound harsh though.

Thanks for posting it Doppel.

3. Doppel

Doppel Member

Jun 21, 2014
    I must stress that the full list is on the link so be sure to check it out for all the countries.

4. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That isnt so bad at all and I can confirm this also from the perspective of german journalists. "Focused" was even the main term used by the players themselves during official interview sessions.

5. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Japan

possession

disappointing

frustrated

Sounds right

6. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Greece
    underrated/hated/unlucky/

7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina should be: confident/flair/champions :p

8. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Seems like deluded is a better word, because being confident and having flair but never winning... Champions? 28 years without winning a World Cup, and 21 years without winning anything whatsoever. In these 21 years, Brazil won 2 World Cups, 4 Confederations Cups, and 4 Copa Américas.

Oh well, I expect that you'll say something about 7-1 and 3-0 but what really matters in the end is winning the trophy, something in the last 21 years Argentina hasn't done, and Brazil has done 10 times. So all the confidence and all the flair were ultimately misplaced.

I actually did try to root for Argentina. I wasn't really able to... sorry.

Desperate for Brazil is right... but I'm hopeful that Brazil will recover and won't go dry for 21 years.

The United States, I'd say hardworkers, fighters... but ultimately not very talented, unfortunately. But honorable.

Italy, weak, disorganized, unfortunately.

9. Bora Brasil

Bora Brasil New Member

Jul 13, 2014
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Santos FC
    The best describe is for Germany, by far...
    The most inspiring is for Algeria ;) Hope Brazil use it as example for 2018 :thumbsup:

10. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

wtf is your problem? we just lose to the best team in the world and barely, they scored in the last minute of extra time and we might have scored too, ARGENTINA played a GREAT game and any of the teams could have won. I havent said ANYTHING about your shameful team getting destroyed 7-1 and 3-0 and being humillated, but you come here today, right after we lost, when obviously our wounds are still healing, to gloat about all your past cups and achievements?
    ARGENTINA was, by far, the 2nd best team on the tournament, we played better as long as tournament progressed, had the best player, played clean and fair, and deserve nothing but respect from all the teams in the world, something that brazil cant say cause your players DIDNT EVEN PLAY the semi or 3rd place match.

So, if you feel bad cause your team sucks and is one of the worst teams of the tournament, dont came here to gloat like those pathetic brazilians in rio. I mean, you wore Bosnia shirt, you lost, you wore Iran shirt, you lost, you wore Nigeria shirt, switzerland shirt, belgium shirt, netherlands shirt, and you even were the shirt of the team that DESTROYED you 7-1. I cant imagine being as pathetic. We have the soul of champions, who fight till last minute, and argentina can be PROUD of this guys who left everything of the field, and we all know no one can say the same about that pathetic teams of yours.

Brazil might have been glorious in the past, but now that time is over and you know it.

Heck, i was even feeling sorry for brazil and i said it when they got destroyed by germany and netherlands, but, seriously? do you need to by so low? its hard to root for you and feel bad for you when you come here to kick us when we are in the floor.