Word on the Street at Ray-Pec

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Frostbite, Jan 29, 2007.

1. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kauffman stadium is still in no way suitable for soccer... even for Mr. Posh Spice.

Besides, I still don't think we will have a Beckham sighting in KC this season.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which will be... when was that exactly? ;)

3. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However weren't we were hearing that it was supposed to be announced within two weeks; the end of that two weeks being back on January 5th?

Sucks to be a ticket rep for the Wizards. You'd have exactly 0 commissions since last October.

Something tells me that KC will be a road team for the first 8 games of the season much like LA was prior to the toolbox opening. They're getting so 11th hour on this thing that I'm gonna have to go ahead and put in a :rolleyes: .

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I understand it's not this easy, but this crap would stop if they'd get it done. Most importantly, this "two weeks", "one month", "soon" crap is pointless. Don't they realize that any statement giving a timeline for an announcement carries NO weight to an MLS fan??? We've been hearing "60-90 days" for years now. We know it means nothing. Just today in the paper they said "six weeks". Maybe so, but I'm not holding my breath one bit.

And what's with people complaining about where we play for two years? We were worried about having a team a year ago. Count your blessings. Beggars can't be choosers.

5. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo
    Last night the plan went to the RP Board for a vote. No word, but the 2 I sat with last Saturday for brunch said, "It was a shame we could not get the Wizards deal."

What I hear is that (from a 3rd source) no venue was going to allow in-stadium alcohol sales. They came back to RP. The Wizards are now (?) going to put field turf on the Football field (Panther Stadium) and build a new locker room type building for teams to use. It is much less compensation (physically) than before. I don't know about $$$.

I will let you know more as I hear.

Joe in RP

6. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, if true it seems like OnGoal is making a much bigger deal of beer sales than any of us do.

7. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alcohol is a significant part of corporate hospitality. That's the biggest issue from the alcohol standpoint.

8. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo
    More info (90% credible)

The Wizards will put in field turf for the stadium. When the contract is over then (after the Wizards leave) they will sew in the football lines. RP soccer will now also use the stadium for thier games. So they don't want the football lines either.

Joe In RP

The Superintendant is out until Thursday. So I don't expect a press release until at least then.

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the info you have on this.
    Much appreciated.

10. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's true, the players can't be too happy about this little nugget.

11. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Field Turf be a parting gift from the Wizards or will they be putting it in right away?

I hope this doesn't turn out to be Sucklake II.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    It could be Napperville. For those that didn't go, it wasn't great, but they made it awesome. It should be the goal we try to reach as far as atmosphere is concerned.

13. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is what they are going for with the Temp location. Something similar to what Chicago did with Napperville. A small, "intimate" setting that can actual help grow the fan-base despite the much smaller allowable crowds. I just don't like the idea of field turf, from a player-perspective.

14. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a player perspective (me) I have absolutely no problems with the modern day Field Turf and I've played on it for several years. It is actually easier on my ankles, knees, and back than that of grass fields. The bounce of the ball is equal to that of a soft ground field, (not firm, or hard). Pro's adjust to field conditions all the time this would be no different. The only thing that sux more is road rash should you slide or put a knee down but that is debateable as well as a firm field would tear the crap out of you skin just as easy. The ball skims with a little bit more friction than a wet field when passing but at least it would be a consitent surface regardless of the conditions or traffic placed upon it.

Now field turf with big purple endzones, gridlines and dragons about the place is a problem. Please don't do that.

15. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo
    As a NAIA soccer coach and former groundskeeper for MU (during the bad turf days in (1988-91), all of the programs with money are going to the field turf. If it is brushed and cleaned properly the new turf is great. If it is not taken care of it will become like the turf at Lindenwood. (Matted and worn) The old Omni-turf we had at MU was horrible. It had to be watered for days to compact the sand. It also had to be swept. I used to look like a withered incredible hulk after cleaning the cart for the sweeper. This new turf as many of us know will not tear your skin as much. If you execute a tackle correctly most of the contact will not impact the skin (maybe the thighs)

Anyway as for coaching, it does play faster, but it is not that much of a home field factor.

Joe in Rp

16. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo
    Rumor (how credible?)

I have been told by people here in Cass County that the Wizards have bought a parcel of land (stadium size) just south of 58 Hwy on 71 Hwy. If you know Belton, it would be south of the Price Chopper down the road a ways a bit.

Does anyone have any credible news on this?

Joe in RP

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd piss even more people off if the permanent site was down there.

18. KC Frostbite

KC Frostbite Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Raymore, Mo
    Can we say TIF?

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The main problem with Field Turf is that it doesn't have as much margin for error - especially after the first couple years it has been installed.

Grass seems to decelerate the ball faster, giving attacking players more of an opportunity to run on to balls. Field Turf's speed is consistent, so players can get somewhat used to it, but I'm not sure MLS players always have that level of control. I'm expecting lots of goal kicks.

20. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where is the Ray-Pec football team going to play?

21. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down Peculiar Drive right? Back behind Country Kitchen and the hotel? I used to live in Belton and worked at that CK for quite awhile (met Beth there in fact)...and honestly, was hoping I'd never have to go back to that area lol. I'm still hoping the Great Mall rumors are true. ;)

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The irony of the two situations is that the field in Southlake was 10 times better than the field in Naperville. Southlake had a very good FieldTurf II installation and Cardinal Stadium had a poorly installed SafePlay (lower quality) field. What really caused the problems with Southlake was the Purple endzones (shudder).

But being at field level in Naperville, the field looked like a poorly rolled carpet.

23. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I guess we have to assume that meeting Beth there isn't the reason you dread a return...

:)

24. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL...no..."other history" there. Wild times in the past that should just stay in the past.

25. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cow-tipping, stealing eggs from old man Johnson's hen house.....the usual Belton type of "wild times", huh?