Women's World League?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by TIKY, Sep 20, 2003.

1. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego
    Since WUSA has folded, would a women's world league be more successful? Granted, most of WUSA's failure was mismanagement/overspending, but a women's world league might have a broader appeal. You could have a 20 team league with several teams from several countries.

Flame away.

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds expensive for travel. I'm still hopeful that WUSA may rise from the ashes, perhaps.
    I think it's the most viable option.
    An interesting point was made that the cost of saving the league would have been on Metro's Soccer Report. It would have cost sponsors about 1/10th of what Alex Rodriquez's (baseball player) contract cost.

3. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    More like 1/100th.

Problem is, on a cost-benefit analysis (this is, after all *not* a charity we are talking about), one also has to weigh in the *benefit*.

Would you like a company, that say your 401k is partially invested in to spend $x million on *anything*, if it was clear that (from a business sense) it was a waste of money?

:L

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the total and not per sponsor. 1/100th would be for each of the sponsors they wanted.
    I believe it was stated they needed 2 million from about 10 sponsors. I can't remember. :(

5. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Very difficult to pick. Say we split it into 2 groups
    of 10. Europe and the rest of the world.

Europe:

Trondheims
    Kolbotn
    Brondby
    Umeå IK
    Djurgården/Älvsjö(Maybe Malmo if they win the Uefa Cup. Take out Umea then)
    Juvisy
    Fulham
    Arsenal
    Frankfurt
    Potsdam

Safe bet on those teams.

Rest of the world
    US Team (maybe have the winner of the W-league)
    Canada team(winner of the w-league or the top Canadian team in the W-league)
    Queensland Sting
    NSW Sapphires
    Shanghai SVA
    Beijing Chengjian
    Auckland
    (winner of the Caribbean/Central American playoffs)
    (Winner of the African playoffs)

Travel expenses will be tough. Find a way for the FAs to pay! When to play will be just as hard!