Women's World Cup Tickets (Expensive!!!)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by truthandlife, Sep 15, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I know it has been a tough day for the women but I wanted to see how much tickets were to the WWC and I could not believe the prices. For first round matches. SUITE LEVEL $65.00, LOWER LEVEL SEATING $20.00 - $65.00, UPPER LEVEL SEATING $20.00 - $32.00, and CLUB LEVEL SEATING
    $45.00 - $65.00.

This is just for the first round of NGA vs PRK and NOR vs FRA.

If you don't think that is bad look it how much it costs to see the USA play.
    SUITE LEVEL
    $150.00

LOWER LEVEL SEATING
    $30.00 - $150.00

UPPER LEVEL SEATING
    $30.00 - $80.00

CLUB LEVEL SEATING
    $110.00 - $150.00

This is for the first round!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the prices for the Finals. This almost floored me!

GOAL LINE SEATING
    $75.00 - $100.00

CLUB LEVEL SEATING
    $400.00

SIDELINE SEATS
    $275.00 - $400.00

CORNER FIELD SEATING
    $100.00 - $175.00

UPPER DECK SEATING
    $175.00 - $400.00

Do they think this is the Superbowl or something?
    I heard they have only presold 280,000 out of a possible 600,000 tickets. Can someone confirm that for me?

This could be a disaster. I hope that it isn't but I don't know anyone who is going to pay $400 for a WWC finals game.

2. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I picked this up on another thread. This answers some of my questions but it looks to me that they are having trouble but that U.S. Soccer is trying to put their own spin on it especially after the WUSA folded. Anyone know what is really going on.

FIFA Women's World Cup Ticket Sales Strong, Nearly 300,000 Sold

9/15/03 1:57 PM

CHICAGO (Monday, Sept. 15, 2003) - Tickets for the FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003 are continuing to move fast for the upcoming competition, with more than 280,000 being sold since the public sale began back on July 19. The high-rate of ticket sales across a 54-day period has fueled interest in the 32-game, 16-team competition being played in six venues across the United States from Sept. 20 to Oct. 12, 2003.

"We are tremendously pleased by not only the support we've received from the soccer community, but the general community, as well," said U.S. Soccer president Dr. S. Robert Contiguglia. "We think the reaction has been wonderful and know that the atmosphere and excitment at these stadiums is going to make for an exciting environment for all the teams competing. We are all in store for a great competition, no doubt about that."

Columbus Crew Stadium could be the first venue to sell-out a game, as fewer than 1,000 tickets remain for the U.S. Women's National Team's "Group A" finale against North Korea on Sept. 28. Columbus has sold 50,200 tickets for their three doubleheaders, behind only Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles in total tickets sold.

For the U.S. opener on Sept. 21 against Sweden at RFK Stadium, more than 27,000 tickets have been purchased. Combined, the three doubleheaders in D.C. have sold more than 57,000 tickets. In Los Angeles, 52,500 tickets have been sold for the two doubleheaders in September and the third-place match and final on Oct. 11 and 12 at the new Home Depot Center.

In Philadelphia, the response to the tournament has been very strong, with 48,000 tickets being sold for two doubleheaders, including the USA's match-up with Nigeria on Thursday, Sept. 25. More than 50,000 tickets have been sold for three doubleheaders in Portland, Ore., and 24,000 tickets have been sold for two match dates in Boston.

"Our goal from the beginning has always been to make sure that this tournament is staged in a manner worthy of its stature in the sporting landscape," added Contiguglia. "We feel that through a number of long work hours and through the help of our soccer family and member organizations, we have achieved that. That is the ultimate measuring stick for our success."

As evidence of the building fan buzz and media attention, U.S. Soccer conducted a media conference call on Wednesday (Sept. 10) with U.S. WNT head coach April Heinrichs and defender Brandi Chastain and had 95 participants on the call, a record for the U.S. Women's National Team and the second largest call ever for U.S. Soccer. And that total came on just 24 hours notice.

The U.S. Women's National Team gathered in Charlottesville on Saturday to begin five days of training and will relocate to Washington, D.C. on Sept. 17 to prep for their FIFA Women's World Cup opener against Sweden on Sept. 21. That game will air live on ABC at 12:30 p.m. ET, one of 18 games in the tournament to be aired live on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2.
    -------------------------------------------------

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Egads.. My fairly decent tickets for the final of WWC 99 (section 1 row 56) cost only $65 each.
    Of course there was a bit more room at the Rose Bowl but still...

4. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thinking about this a little more made me realize that U.S. Soccer and the WUSA have an unreal perception of women's soccer. There expectations are not real. They think they can ride the wave of 1999. This is what got the WUSA in trouble in the first place.

Maybe there will be a lot of people walking up to buy these tickets but with all the other competition (i.e. football, baseball) during this time it might be tough to sell a $400 ticket to the finals.

If they don't fill the stadiums like they did in '99 you know the mainstream American sports media is going to just pile on to the already negative environment of the WUSA folding.

5. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    I think this is a very legitmate beef. I plan to take about 20 girls to the game. I want to sit in respectable seats without paying for it with a 15 year loan. For, RFK, I had to choose between $55 seats and $85 seats. The $55 seats aren't even very good, but I'll save $600.

I think an event like this would have been well served by doing general admission. The real fans would be up front and give it a better feel on the TV.

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That number doesn't seem to be all that good. Crew stadium seats 22,500 that means on average they've presold 16,733 seats per doubleheader game. Then you have to factor in that more people probably prepaid to get the USA double header game since they reported it was almoast sold out.

7. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the reason they are expensive is because beside the third place match and final, all the games (15 of thems) will be double-headers. But that doesn't explain why the final is so darn expensive.

However, even with the dollars inflation from 94, I am willling to bet that WC 94 tickets were more expensive than WWC 03.

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    After the WUSA folded they need fannies in the seats and they can only do this with reasonable ticket prices. It is going to be very embarrassing to see stadiums 1/4 full on TV and then all you will here people on talk radio how much of a disaster women's soccer is.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just thought of something. Bad news for SUM and MLS.

JUST ONE WORD:

Hurricane.

(don't know the name, but I know it will impact the easter US from N.C. to Mass. somewhere between Thursday-Saturday.)
    Weather could play a big part. Not good news at all.

10. timbergreg

timbergreg New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    We got tix for three different rounds (all doubleheaders) for $25 per day here in Portland. These are the cheap seats with no guarantee of a USA game but I think the price is VERY reasonable. 6 games for $75! Can't beat it.

11. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    why is this under MLS?

12. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the WWC final is in a MLS city in a MLS SSS and this is a coversation between MLS fans considering attending the event.

Got it?

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    plus sum has a big stake in the cup... games are being held at mls controlled stadiums

that's money coming towards our league

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    No.

By that rationale, we should put the next Dave Matthew's Band concert at Victoria Street which is an MLS SSS for a conversation between MLS fans considering attending the concert under the MLS board.

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    actually... i think that happened... or something along those lines

16. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actualy we talked about that a lot, both here and at lariotsquad.net. You see the Dave Mathews band is blamed for the bad condition of the field of the HDC. Also some Galaxy fans went to the concerts, a guy I work with went to both of them. Field ruining bastard that he is.

17. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bump in the morning

18. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not bad. I don't know if it is too late but the WWC needs to go grass roots the next few days to the soccer clubs and offer package deals. 25,50, 75, 100 Ticket packages for soccer clubs. It might be too late.

I knew they were in a little bit of trouble when Brandy Chastain was on MLS soccer wrap puting out a desperate plea for people to come to the WWC. She was really pandering.

19. SpongeBobSquarePants

Jun 18, 2003
    Silver Spring
    All the club sites around here pointed me to the Washington Freedom sites for ticket. So, it doesn't seem they went that route.

I'm now to the point where if I have to go through ticketmaster for my growing order of 30 tickets. The service charge for Ticketmaster will be $250.

20. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The prices for the final ARE insane. I was thinking about shooting up from SD for the final if the US was in it or some other team which caught my fancy, but at those prices, I'll just save my money for about 4 MLS games, a MLS playoff game, a Nat game in the Caribbean, a plane ticket to Manchester and a ticket to Old Trafford to catch Timmy.

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do these ticket prices compare to the men's World Cup ticket prices at Japan/Korea in 2002? Is this about what you could expect to pay at WC 2006 in Germany?

22. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think Japan/Korea would be a bad comparison because everything is expensive in Japan but I went to a Men's WC in Italy in '90 and I went to a quarterfinal match for $40 and a another friend went to the final for $100. This was in 1990 so it was a long time ago but I don't think charging $400 for a WWC final ticket helps anyone.

23. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Has anybody bought tickets to the final

Has anybody bought tickets to the final? If you did how much did they cost?

24. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid $600 for a pair of tix to the semi-final in NY featuring Italy vs. Bulgaria in WC '94--I believe that was face value prices. (And, FWIW, it was either an unmemorable {read: boring} game, or I had too many Heinekins. Either way, the game is not too clear in my memory!)

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    maybe not in d.c. but in columbus they did contact all the local <in columbus and ohio in general> youth organizations and offered them special ticket prices and packages for their participants...