Women's world cup scheduling

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by disalex, Aug 1, 2010.

1. disalex

disalex New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Sorry if this has been asked already, just wondering if anyone knows what will happen with the WPS schedule with the woman's world cup being scheduled to go untill July 17th. It seems to me it's going to be mighty thin on the field

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Woman's world cup scheduling

I think they're talking about taking a break and they should. At least for the group stages and maybe through the quarter-finals. If that means cutting the number of games from 24 to 20, they should do that, too.

3. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed!

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mind you, I think some games will still have to be played with a lot of players at the World Cup. The national teams will need their players a week or two ahead of the opening game and I don't think the league can afford to be on break for a month or more - that just breaks up too much momentum. But for teams to be playing without their international players for 4 or 5 games is too much; it's also asking too much of the fans who want to see these players.

There are only two games scheduled for the opening weekend and Germany is in one of them and you can be sure the US, as a seeded team (assuming they qualify) won't be in that one. So there's only a very slim chance that the US plays that Sunday. So maybe you go ahead and schedule games that Sunday - with the time difference you can have viewing parties for the Opening Game and then have your league games soon after.

What the league, perhaps, should take off is the next two weeks because the next two weekends will be full of group games and then the quarterfinals. We have to expect most of the WPS international players to on quarterfinal teams. And we want WPS fans to take in as much of the World Cup as possible. It's good for the game.

FIFA's schedule for the World Cup is here.