Women's World Cup referees announced

Discussion in 'Referee' started by btharner, Apr 18, 2011.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
  2. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Congrats also to Carol Anne Chenard from Canada for making it to her first World Cup.

3. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would've thought to see Sian Massey on this list. I know she's a relatively new FIFA AR, but I know she did center on a USWNT international friendly against England not long ago. She's been quite involved in qualifying rounds as AR.

http://sianmassey.org/

4. LawFiveTarHeel

LawFiveTarHeel BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  5. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is 26 years old and a FIFA AR. That is quite impressive in itself!

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how does it work? When two teams play, do they make sure the referees are from neither of the teams' confederations?

The big Opening Day match is between Germany and Canada; would that assignment have to go to a crew outside of UEFA and CONCACAF?

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually, although in the 2010 WC they we're assigning European refs in all European matches which if I remember right they didn't do in 2006.

8. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    That's how they did it for the men last year (of course a ref from UEFA would be allowed to be assigned a match between two UEFA teams). The women, however, sometimes do things differently, because people don't get in a tizzy over the stupidest things when it comes to the WWC. Remember when they had to reschedule matches in 2007 because of the typhoon and some final group matches wouldn't be played simultaneously. If that were the men's WC, a lot more would have been had to be be rearranged because everybody involved would be crying foul.

9. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    Isn't she the BIRD that got those tv reporters in trouble for making "sexist" statements?

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

11. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't put it that way. It makes it sound like she had made some concious effort to cause the controversy. The commentators got themselves in trouble. All she did was show up and do the job she was assigned to do. Quite well as I recall.

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    She was also the CR between the WNT and England a couple weeks ago, again did a solid job.

13. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    why was she the Center referee I thought or would have thought it would be a FIFA WHITE badge not a ASSISTANT REFEREE doing the middle

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England FIFA AR centering an England/USA friendly. Was it not an official FIFA match?

Also noticed that there is a 24 year old FIFA AR along with Massey who's 26.

15. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's been working in the EPL, so the women's games are probably pretty tame by comparison.

Maybe she's being groomed for an upgrade from 2 to 1 for next WWC.

16. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    I am thinking your choice of words was sarcastic, but if not - I believe the male tv reporters got themselves in trouble by making sexist comments. She had no part in it other than running a line.

Does she run that web-site herself? I guess a little self promotion never hurts.

17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    You are correct. The American trio will not do games involving the four teams in the American national team's group (group C), even those games that do not involve the USA. They will also not do games in which Mexico or Canada are playing. UEFA is a different story, if only because of the number of European teams.

I will note that Carol Anne had the center for the U-20 World Cup final last year, so her selection is no surprise. FIFA, essentially, rubber stamps the selections made by the confederations, FIFA having determined the number of trios from each confederation quite a long time in advance.

A FIFA AR is not prohibited from doing the center, although they, obviously, would not be assigned to the center at any FIFA tournament. They are simply required to do more than half of their games each year as an AR. The USSF practice is more restrictive than that. Of course, that doesn't apply to an English AR.

18. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarifications from btharner, code1390 & Law5.

I'm guessing then that the prestigious opening day CR assignment for Germany v Canada will be assigned to either Silvia Reyes Juarez (Peru) or Sung Mi Cha (South Korea). They were assigned the two-legged playoff between the USA and Italy for the final berth. In addition, I noticed Reyes was assigned two knockout stage matches at last year's U20 Championships.

(Oddly, I didn't notice any of the CRs representing the Asian Confederation having worked the playoff stage of their qualifying tournament)