Women's Leagues Are Now Redundant

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by the101er, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
  2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since soccer isn't a physical sport in comparison to other contact sports like football or rugby, I think a co-ed MLS would work pretty well actually.

3. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Re: Re: Women's Leagues Are Now Redundant

[​IMG]

4. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Perugia wants to sign a female soccer player?
    Why not both?

Because it's a publicity stunt.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Soccer isn't physical, thats so funny. Seppuku that must be grade A sarcasm. Soccer requires a different type of physical skill than Football but it is still physical. If their are legitimate complaints about DMB's lack of size at 5'8" and 140-145, then what about much slower, slightly weaker, similairly skilled, smaller players. And why doesn't the USSF list player weights for the womens' team, if they want the same respect as the mens' team don't give me any BS about their feelings. I give about as much respect to Perugia's claim as I did to Iraq's information minister's claims that Coalition forces were so scared they were committing suicide outside the city walls. Please don't say things about a true co-ed sports league for another 50 years, it's stupid. Oh I'm sorry I just realized this is the WUSA forum so I'm very sorry if I offended any 13 year old girls.

6. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    This is the same man who signed Saddi Al Gadaffi (son of Muammar). He hasn't played in a real game yet, and I doubt he will. And just like that signing this will bring a lot of WTF publicity, but don't expect any actual meaningful playing time for Ljunberg or Svensson

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Bob:

For God's sake. will you grow up, please?

It's guys like you I really wonder about. What are you so afraid of? That a girl might want to play a sport? That she might want to have a little fun?

How does that hurt you? What is your real concern here?

8. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Wheww!!
    Nope... no offense taken; I'm only 11 years old!

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said in COMPARISON TO FOOTBALL AND RUGBY. Not once in my post did I say that soccer is not physical period.

Read my post please.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely nothing to do with the WUSA. Mods, please bin this tripe.

11. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Soccer is a physical enough game that I highly doubt a woman could ever compete with men. It sucks for them, and it's not something I gloat about or anything. I just think it's a fact.

I saw a clip of the UVA men's team playing a friendly against the USWNT pre-WWC. In it one of the women and one of the men are going for a loose ball. The woman and man are at a dead sprint, with the woman being directly in between the ball and the man, and the woman having a 3-5 foot headstart. In the 2-3 seconds it takes them to get to the ball, the man has already completely ran around her to get the ball first.

We're talking a WWC squad player for the one of the best women's teams in the world vs. a guy who probably won't play past college.

By all means, give the women a chance. I just don't think they can do it because they're not nearly as strong and not nearly as fast.

I realize physicality is not all there is to the game but it's a big enough part that a woman would have to be Pele x2 to excell in a decent men's league.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    would you stick up for me then, if I wanted to play in WUSA?

oh...I forgot...it's defunct...

13. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    I was thinking the same thing myself.

This forum is for discussion of the WUSA, not lame publicity stunts in Italian leagues. A better place to discuss such shenanigans would be the Italy forum.

The only function this thread serves is to revive the gender wars and provide yet another opportunity for those threatened by the mere existence of athletic women to make snide and/or stupid comments about female athletes (as if there haven't been enough such comments in this forum already). As amusing as I find such pathetic displays of insecurity, they don't belong in this forum.

Since this thread is not about the WUSA, it is closed.