Womens Ice Hockey out of Olympics (?)

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by SJJ, Oct 17, 2010.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women's ice hockey is in danger of being ousted from the Olympic games. An article in the USA Hockey magazine recently discussed this. Seems a fairly balanced article. They do discuss if the two powers (USA, Canada) should do more for other countries, but they also say that more European countries need to emphasize the sport. The one thing I disagree with is the reliance on the men's game in the 1920's and 1930's, saying that things were lopsided then, also. But this is not the olden' days...there has to be more competitive teams NOW, not in twenty-plus years. The TV-internet age will not wait for more countries to at least get good enough to not be blown out of the water.
    http://www.usahockeymagazine.com/article/2010-08/skating-thin-ice

This topic was also discussed breifly in a Q-and-A with the IIHF president.
    http://usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU&id=292854

1 person likes this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I have to admit, I don't care one way or another.

I know a HUGE problem for the women's game is the NCAA's rules on amateurism. Foreign players, especially Russian ones, can't play in the NCAA because they made a nominal stipend, usually something like $100 or something silly a month. Then they have nowhere to play.

3. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I know the NHL weighed in recently and indicated it would give 'support' to a true womens league, obviously in North America. Any other sport that had the same two countries always in the final would have been given the boot years ago. I know Sweden made the final once, but what the ladies game needs is a way to grow the game in Europe and Asia.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about they allow body checking?

1 person likes this.