Women's Euro 2025 qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by BIHfan, Sep 9, 2022.

1. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Feel free to close or delete this thread if it's too early for that yet.

The final submissions for the bid to host Euro 2025 will be submitted in October with the winner being announced in December. Poland, France, Switzerland-Liechtenstein jointly and all the Scandinavian countries jointly except Iceland have confirmed their bids. Ukraine's bid is uncertain amidst the ongoing war.

So far there doesn't seem to be any information anywhere on when the qualifying draw will take place or when the qualifiers will even start. If someone here knows that, please let us know.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    UEFA are waiting on FIFA to announce the international calendar.

3. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    The international calendar for 2023, you mean? When will it be announced?

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It should be a 4 years calendar 2023-27. And whenever FIFA feels like it. Their bi-annual world cup plan had been shelved, so they went back to the drawing board, so whenever they feel like it.

blissett repped this.
  5. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Ok but the host(s) for Euro 2025 will be announced in December so the qualifying draw should be in January then with qualifying games starting in March or April? I'm just trying to figure out their calendar.

6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Lohmann, toad455 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Oh God no.....

*******!!!!

Thank you UEFA....

8. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    I presume the calendar will look like this: September, October, November 2023 is nations league. February, April, June, September, October 2024 women's euro qualifiers with most being groups of 5 so there can be a nations league finals in June 2024 and then in November 2024 will be the women's euros playoffs using the bracket knockout format.

9. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Seems weird and unusual not to have anything but friendly games from November 2022 to September 2023 just because of the Nations League.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I believe the Nations League format will be used for the qualifiers rather than replacing friendlies. League A teams qualify, League B teams try to get promoted for the next cycle

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    #11 Philipp Morgenstern, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    But that will mean less official matches over the 1+ year period of qualifying, they should probably go all in and use the same system as the men's, otherwise we will be stuck with the same old problems.

12. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    It's not like the men's Nations League is popular and loved by fans, players and coaches, quite the opposite actually. I don't think a Women's Nations League will do anything to improve women's football, the attention it gets, the quality of play.

As for (meaningless) friendlies, they haven't managed to completely get rid of them through the Nations League as that was apparently the main reason for introducing it in the first place.

13. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    But do you think that for next cycle we will see 3 fifa windows for nations league and then 6 windows for euro qualifying plus playoffs?, or what is the alternative which minimizes friendly matches?.

14. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    What do you mean "windows"? I think if the Nations League is created for women's football then they should do it similarly to the men's one but I am against the project anyways.

I have no alternative, I am not necessarily in favor of minimizing friendly matches, they don't annoy me nor do I think there's too many of them or that they are useless. The Nations League was largely done to please the English who complained about playing friendlies in a half-empty Wembley stadium.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The only things we know about the 2023-25 cycle is those games at the end of 2023.

2 games 18-26 September
    2 games 23-31 October
    2 games 27 Nov - 5 December

In all logic, these dates should be set for the Euros 2025 qualifiers. It's all about the formatting of the groups in the Nations League format. It depends on how many groups and teams per group in League A and B.

16. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Where did you get those dates for 2023? That would mean no qualifying games for almost a full year.

17. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    In all of 2024 there would be the traditional qualifying, with the nations league being an addition with a backdoor to a playoff spot

18. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Not really a fan of Nations League but I quite like the idea if Nations League replaces the UEFA qualifiers. Would be more evenly matched teams pitted against eachother. Most of the qualifiers are just too uneven and of 0 interest anyway.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Of all confeds, UEFA doesn't have to worry about losing a few official matches. They do plenty already - sometimes too much, so losing a few isn't a bad idea - and a Nations League is a better development system than the current format is because it gives every team consistently competitive matches.

Besides, if the WoSo NL uses five-team groups in each league, which might be the best idea if there's only an A and a B (i.e. no other levels), then it's not actually a difference in matches. It's all TBD depending on what the exact format is.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah we are all in the dark about the next cycles new formulas, all speculation at that point.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It comes from the FIFA 2020-23 Women's football calendar.

22. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I will have to look it up, I don't have a link (URL or PDF document) to it.

23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BIHfan repped this.
  24. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Thank you! So Euro 2025 qualifiers (or Nations League perhaps?) would start in February 2023? Seems a bit strange.

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    February will see the usual four nations tournaments all over the world plus the intercontinental play-offs and the finalissima.

BIHfan repped this.