Women Ballon D'Or

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Sep 25, 2018.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France Football has announced they will have a new award, the Women Ballon d'Or (actually two with the Kopa U-21 award)

The shortlist announcement will take place on the 8th of October and 15 players will be nominated.
    France Football will have a special display in the magazine on the next day with all the nominees.
    The winner of the first ever Women Ballon D'or will be announced on the 3rd of December.

“The jury won’t be the same as the jury voting for the men,” “Only experts can vote. I’m confident we will get a jury of about 40 journalists, from countries where women’s soccer is growing.”

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was in France on Saturday for a day trip to watch a D1 Feminine game and got the paper edition from France Football

Basically 12 names are mentioned : Lucy Bronze, Pernille Harder, Ada Hegerberg, Amandine Henry, Samantha Kerr, Saki Kumagai, Dzsenifer Maroszan, Marta, Lieke Martens, Megan Rapinoe, Wendie Renard.

I also believe Fran Kirby will be in the shortlist. That would leave two remaining names.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Did you miss one in the list of 12? I only count 11 names - the FIFA Best shortlist plus Martens...

What's the time frame of consideration for the Ballon d'Or? That might help us guess who the remaining two (or three) will be. Since the award will be in December, I would hope the time frame includes more of the NWSL season so Horan or other strong NWSL players get more consideration. (Heck, Horan should get considered anyway since she ended 2017 strong, too. Same for many POR or NCC players.)

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    11 plus Kirby basically. I just don't know how to count to 12 :ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    [​IMG]

7 of 15 from Lyon...

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not much surprisingly, I'd say, since OL use to go shopping around the world for the best... :rolleyes:

Who did choose the pictures for that poster? A lot of the players look funny in them, but in particular If I were Sam Kerr I'd sue them for picking that specific photo amidst hundreds available!!! :ROFLMAO:

jnielsen repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Too many Lyon players will dilute the vote. Harder or Kerr should win it.

8. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    And yet North Carolina's "B" team tromped Lyon.

Sam Kerr looks more like somebody's 100 year old Grandmother in that picture than she does Sam Kerr.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Too many Lyon players and not enough Wolfsburg players. That team is way more than Pernille Harder and she will be the first to admit that.

Lechus7 repped this.
  10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #10 Lechus7, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    That they did :) ...although one may argue that they has done it with players in peak form while at season height when Lyon players still had then a little drink umbrellas in thier pockets and fresh tan from last week beach volleyball match .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously looking at this list you could think that all of world WoSo is only done by UEFA clubs + NWSL. Clear evidence of poor WoSo visibility around the world...looks like press had no clue who's who outside what's in mainstream media :rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Looking at all the candidates, it almost looks like some woso hating troll on the staff actively has searched for the worst pictures available of every player.

jnielsen, McSkillz, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Okay let me start this with saying what the hell is Sinclair doing on this list

So one from Wolfsburg but seven from Lyon is incomprensible to me lol. I feel like the likes of Nilla Fischer or Alexandra Popp deserved to be on this list as well

And I do also question myself what Martens’ doing on the list this year...

jnielsen repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you had followed NWSL season 2018 you would know the answer. One of the best players there and, at her age, she played 100% of the minutes every game. For sure, her presence is more justified than the one of "Player of the Year" Marta.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You could be not far from the truth. Looking at others pictures (Martens' for instance), you get the feeling that this necessarily had to be done on purpose. o_O

jnielsen repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who saw what Sinclair did for Jordyn Huitema this evening, it should be clear why she is on the list. She is one of a kind.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’ve seen some games of her this season in the US league and I might on my hand say that I didn’t find her very impressive... :thumbsdown: But my biased towards other players might be because I don’t find Sinclair to be that great personally. But if there’s some good games of her ths season available on YT or something, feel free to give me a link!

I’ll also add Julie Ertz, a player I find very impressive everytime I watch her play either it’s for the US or Chicago as she’s unbelievable consistent in her performances

Why no Carli Lloyd this year though?? :thumbsdown:

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lloyd isn't even a starter anymore for US vs a top tier opponent(Horan's been picked over her at the AM spot). Plus her club team ended up in last place in the NWSL

Airox and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well I was kinda ironic hotjam :p

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Ada Hegerberg arrived at the Ballon d'Or gala dressed in gold. May be she knows the outcome? :sneaky:

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    1. Hegerberg
    2. Harder
    3. Maroszan as per the leaks

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  22. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Really, congrats Ada but I'd prefer Harder

23. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Hegerberg 136p
    Harder 130p
    Marozsan 86p
    Marta 77p
    Kerr 61p
    Bronze 51p
    Henry 34p
    Renard 34p
    Rapinoe 30p
    Horan 28p
    Martens 26p
    Kumagai 25p
    Majri 9p
    Kirby 5p
    Sinclair 4p
    [​IMG]

jnielsen, 59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

jnielsen, 59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.