Wolves vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Feb 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Lemmyfaith

Lemmyfaith Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What pisses me off is that I don't see the leadership nor desire. Mane at least would fight, leave a foot in, lol. We lost our heartbeat.

2. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for the owners to pull their fingers out of their collective a$$es and either sell or step up. I think that unfortunately that maybe means Klopp has to go. It is very clear that he’s lost the team. Too many players arguing with one another, trying to figure out how they want to position themselves on the field. I don’t think this is salvageable.

3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The derby is going to be brutal.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We’ll lose. As we will every game until we realise our limitations and play to those. 4-3-3 isn’t it, not with this lot.

5. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Pochettino have a job right now? He’d at least play a 4-2-3-1, which our side is screaming for at the moment.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp has enough credit in the bank and has earned the right for more time to try and sort this. At least he gets the summer to ring in some changes.

B.A., SamScouse, soccershaggy and 4 others repped this.
  7. Lemmyfaith

Lemmyfaith Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I might watch it lying down.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Totally disagree. I think a lot of questions can and should be asked about his decisions this season. He would tell you himself that he has not done a good job. But his job should absolutely not be under threat. He is our only way out of this mess.

soccershaggy and Red Bird repped this.
  9. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I’m just frustrated. But I t doesn’t seem like he knows how to fix things right now. At some point he’s got to change something, but I’m not seeing anything changing from week to week. Every week it’s the same problem. No cover for our defense, who are now collectively shell shocked. We have no supply for our attacking players. We have no effective midfield, and with no engine to run the team we will continue to lose. That can only happen so long before you have to shake things up somehow. It’s easier to replace the back room staff than the players…. At some point we are going to get to that point.

10. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right, we haven’t seen anything so far…

11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , I agree. I think he's running out of functional midfield options since nothing seems to be working for him. I still believe he needs to try something diff such as pushing Trent up to try and both refresh him and the midfield. Once the wounded return he'll have more options up front and in def . The Salah ,Gakpo , Nunez trio looks toothless and Joe looks like an accident waiting to happen.

But the midfield , the engine remains a serious problem which I do not think can be properly sorted without new players. However something needs to change to hopefully drag us through until the summer.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Klopp has no words! Jürgen, you’re loyal to a fault. These players are repaying that loyalty. Bin ‘em, old bean.

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We allow the most clear-cut chances in the league!

We have scored 1 goal in the PL this calendar year (4 games).

14. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Following my rule of not posting right after something like this.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need:

A CB - one that might be starting in a year.
    3 Midfielders
    A right-sided forward (maybe this problem is solved with a dynamic midfield)
    An RB/LB - someone that can spell either spot

16. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we have a defense that can't defend, a midfield that can't pass or close anyone down, and an offense that can't score.
    I don't think it's the coaching as much as the players. If you look at the first goal nobody will tell Matip to defend like that. The second goal started because because of a stupid foul by Gapko and the third goal started on a turnover by Bajetick but was completely the fault of Thiago letting is man run by him while he was ball watching. Just awful.
    On the other end of the field nobody can score. If you look a Salah's play the last hand full of games and were able to disguise him so you didn't know it was Salah, he would be lucky to make the bench. He doesn't score even with some good opportunities, can't beat anyone on the dribble and hasn't made a decent pass.
    Henderson comes in and within a 30 sec span skews a pass from his head and then from his feet. Later on the attack he fluffs another pass at the top of the box. Last year his passing was excellent.
    Crosses from both sides are finding no-one. Gomez tries to pass cross field, which gets intercepted, instead of making the easy pass to the center of the field. All these individual errors and just lack of quality isn't occurring because they're not getting the right coaching.

The only positive from this season so far is that we found a new #6 in Bajetick. But the way our season is going he'll tear his ACL in May and miss the entire next season.

17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Trying to be the optimist…we did create a handful of ‘good’ (better than ‘decent’) chances, that Keita, Salah, TAA and Nunez missed…often missing the whole goal…or nearly missing the whole ball…

:oops:

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I heard this week that Matip and Gomez have only started at centerback together like 3 times before today. That's a pretty shocking number considering how long both have been at the club. Klopp has clearly never rated them as a partnership, and now he has been forced into it.

Both have been outstanding partners for Van Dijk, but are both very clearly the second man in the partnership. It was an entire team full of players in which nobody took charge. The first goal saw Gomez completely out of position, casually running underneath the flight of the ball while Matip just watched hit the ground before turning it into his own net. The second goal saw Gomez head the ball away from the goalkeeper who would have easily caught it. Nobody taking charge, nobody communicating, nobody showing any kind of leadership.

Andy Robertson wore the captain's armband, but there is only so much you can organize the team from left back. Thiago has been an ever-present during this horrendous run. I think he has tried and fought, but that is not the strength of his game. He needs stability around him in order to succeed. The rest of the midfield was made up an 18 year old and a player who couldn't even be relied upon when things were good. Plus Naby has one foot out the door.

The forwards had a chance to take charge. We could have really done with Mo Salah being Mo Salah and bailing out this depleted team. I've seen a lot of talk about how the system is failing Salah this season, and I think it is true. But today there were multiple times that Salah received the ball in the exact position that he would want to receive it and did nothing with it. Darwin has done what he has done all season...look incredibly dangerous. But now I'm past the point of being encouraged by it and am desperate for him to actually win us some games. Its unfair to expect Gakpo to be the one who pulls us out of this mess.

What about Trent? He looks more of the problem then the solution. Everyone talks about his suspect defending, but what has happened to his attacking play? It looks like he's just going through the motions. When Klopp mentioned body language after the Brighton defeat everyone knew he was talking about Fabinho, but I thought of Trent as well.

We are desperate for someone to step up, take on responsibility, be a leader, and provide a spark. So many of them are letting us down at the moment.

Wingtips1 and B.A. repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Nunez scored even 25% of the chances he's missed - we'd have 9 more pts almost certainly.

CB-West repped this.
  20. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which player is he being too loyal to, and who would you be picking instead? His captain is on the bench in favor of an 18 year old and a player he’s never trusted in the past. Fabinho hasn’t even made the bench.

Unless you’re calling for him to bench Salah for Ben Doak or start Nat Phillips, I don’t know what more he can do when it comes to selections.

Wingtips1 and CB-West repped this.
  21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been defending him since he got here but can't argue with that. He simply has to get better. That goes for Gakpo too, to a degree. I can't defend anyone on this side anymore.

I know everyone is sick of hearing this but Madrid are going to skull f uck us back to the stone age.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  22. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    No way. I'd rather keep klopp and gut the entire team. Assuming of course that he be less stubborn when it comes to the 443.

23. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    In the past match press conference, it seems as if James Pierce (?) asked a question Klopp responded (I'm paraphrasing here) - It's really difficult to talk to you... if I'm 100 percent honest... YOU KNOW WHY...

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm trying to get some context on this. Klopp is upset with something he wrote for the Athletic.

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many things that he and Hughes have written. Including an article that Klopp faked covid tests to get a game cancelled.

And Pearce is a mouthpiece for the owners