WNY in the News

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by kool-aide, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some links to the news pieces on the presser. Maybe more page views will encourage more coverage when they start playing.

ROCNow which also mentions a verbal agreement w/ Sinclair.
    From the local NBC affiliate and it has video clips. Quotes from Sahlen, Lines, and Harris.

A short piece w/ a video clip from another local tv channel, wivb.

And another short piece from the abc affiliate.

And the Buffalo version of the Business Journal throws a piece up, too.

Srsly, people. click through these articles so they know there's a demand for articles about the Flash.

eta: I missed this article from the Buffalo News. Give 'em page views folks.

2. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Buffalo link isn't working for me.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed now. thanks.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She mentions some former international from the Buffalo Flash. Strange Gemma Davison is not mentioned,there has been rumours in England for months linking her to WPS.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Sahlen didn't want to jinx things or make negotiations public w/ a blogger b/f getting the ducks in a row?

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have asked Emma Hayes directly on twitter lol

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D well done.

10. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    OMFG, Marta is coming to Western New York!!! That's the best news we've had these parts since Abby netted the GWG for the Gold in 2004 or since Haloid commercialized xerography or even since George Eastman did his thing.

I was on the fence for season tickets...until this news. From the fence to the bandwagon in one fell swoop!

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is great news for you guys. She will also be reunited with Brittany Bock from LA Sol days.

As Charlie Naimo says the team that has Marta is immediately considered a favorite for the Championship. That's how much of a difference maker she is.

WNY will be 2011 WPS Champions. Count on it.

How far a drive is it from Chicago to WNY?

12. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    10 or 11 hours depending on location in Chicagoland.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    this was posted by a fcgp insider. it's obvious i think marta's agent and santos knew marta was under contract with whatever team in the league and just went around the contract. agent gets his money for signing marta to santos, santos gets her for no fees paid and wps continues to bit on her crazy aeg contract. how in the world this type of activity wouldnt void marta's aeg contract and give wny the opportunity to redo a better contract for them and the league? i'm missing this one.

i wish someone would ask sahlen is he going to reneg a new contract with marta before the current one exp. no way i see him carrying 500k. what would magic pay after this season? bidding war with sahlen if they dont try to redo her deal? i'd think marta is in the most stable position now.

kessler
    January 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm · Reply
    Just to make sure reputation isn’t ripped from ignorance (Charles)- Marta was paid in full, as were all of our vendors and a refund to all season ticket holders. In fact, we have our books open because we are waiting for money that people owe us. Fabiano knew that Marta’s contract was guaranteed. She was the only contract we had that was a guarantee without a team option (a contract we inherited). We asked for him to mutually terminate it so she could play elsewhere. He didn’t & instead still had Marta play elsewhere and get compensated in the six figures (per my conversation with Santos). We asked Santos for a loan fee prior to FCGP ceasing operations – as this was prior to any decision to fold the team. As soon as we requested a loan fee, they stopped contacting us. She isn’t free to play anywhere else, and WNY Flash can demand her to report for camp at anytime (except if she is on National Team Duty).

Add’l for Luis – so you understand how this all works, if a player is represented by an agent, then we talk to the agent – it’s the 1st question I ask a player – who do you want me to talk to – an agent, your parents, you? But honestly, a player that is going to make $20k doesn’t need an agent – it’s just less money in the player’s pocket.

FIFA rules are FIFA rules, so in the umbrella of FIFA, Messi and Marta are the same…or at least should be.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, Today's article:
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110430/SPORTS/104300324/Flash-feature-soccer-s-best?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|p

Jeff DiVeronica (Rochester D&C) Blog:
    http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/devo/

WNY Flash YouTube "page:"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/WNYFlash#p/u

ESPN-W - Sinclair, Riley, Seger are all doing written and video blogs for the World Cup:
    http://w.espn.go.com/espnw/soccer/womens-world-cup/

Summer of 2011 - Women's Soccer: Awesome

17. IzzyWSU

IzzyWSU New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff DeVeronica's new Saturday radio show, "Flash Through the WPS" - Will cover all of WPS. It is on right after his long-running "Kick This."

WHTK 1280 AM, 107.3 FM. Listen online:
    http://www.whtk.com/mediaplayer

Devo's 6/11/11 blog:

At 11 a.m. today we’ll have our regular Kick This! show with myself and news director James Weise. ... Then today at noon marks the debut of a brand new show, Flash Through the WPS, which will be all about the Western New York Flash and Women’s Professional Soccer. The same Kick This!, including Soccer Sam, will be part of this hourlong, weekly talk show that will not only feature Flash guests such as today’s - coach Aaran Lines and versatile McCall Zerboni - but also players and coaches from around the league. We’re scheduled to have Philadelphia forward Tasha Kai, she of the tattoos and aggressive moves, on about 12:40 today. Jeff Kassouf of www.equalizersoccer.com and Jenna Pel of www.allwhitekit.com also will be regular contributors offering their takes on women’s soccer in WPS and around the world. They’re a highly knowledgeable duo who have been covering WPS a lot longer than us! Check our Kassouf’s coverage of Marta’s espnW documentary and Pel’s WPS Week 10 preview by clicking those links. We hope you’ll tune in and make it part of your Saturday. Thanks to Flash public relations man, A.J. Cecere, for helping make this happen.

19. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I hope that recordings of the Flash Through the WPS show will be available as a podcast. I happened to catch yesterday's show, and it was pretty entertaining and informative. Zerboni related an amusing anecdote about Marta's reaction when opposing fans at an away game booed her during introductions. "They give me boos, I give you goal."

20. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
  21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [result]I guess WNY will get at least 2 of their WWC players back earlier than they thought. But will they be able to shake off the disappointment?[/result]

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States