WNT in Houston

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by DeigoRedD, Oct 20, 2004.

1. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok since one hasn't been started yet, I'm gonna get this party started!

Anyone else planning on heading to the game in Houston? Or know the 411 on Houston? Scheduled signings by players?

I know that Ape is gonna be doing a coaching clinic. Wasn't of interest to me. So I didn't pay much attention to details.

Great and reasonably priced restaurants and pubs near Reliant Stadium?

2. txgooner

txgooner New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Houston, Texas
  3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  4. txgooner

txgooner New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Make sure you leave early!!! Plan on arriving 2 hours before the match because traffic getting into the stadium car park is ridiculous!

5. txgooner

txgooner New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Food and pubs around Reliant Stadium? Sorry, do not know any. But, maybe some not so far.

If you would like to catch the EPL matches go to the Richmond Arms or Big John's. For food I suggest Richmond Arms or The Bull and the Bear. http://www.thebullandbear-tavernandeatery.com/

There is a Jamcian Resteraunt called The Reggae Hut at 4814 Almeda Rd near the Museum District that is very good. The jerk chicken is great!

Where eating is concerned Houston has a bit of everything. The Houston Press has a good searchable dining guide.
    http://www.houstonpress.com/

6. Heartplay

Heartplay New Member

May 21, 2003
    Texas
    Wow! We are taking these friendlies for granted. Not even a peep about the game on Saturday. I was there and saw two different matches - the first half and the second half. We had some chances in the first half, but not many. The Ireland defenders were able to keep their side from being scored upon, and I have to hand it to them - they understood how to keep CP from scoring - just keep at her feet and don't let her set up. Do that and she doesn't have a chance to shoot. She has a strong shot, but if she doesn't have a chance to shoot, then she really has very little chance to score. She can't manufacture her own goals. The big difference between her and the Wombat is that the Wombat is a bit faster and can separate from her marks to finish. CP doesn't have that speed.

Congrats to the Wombat on her five goals. Only question I have is: come next near, who'll be around to take Mia's place and give her those feeds? Mia understands that her attacking skills are starting to diminish, so she relies on her passing skills. All her assists were great, especially the first and last. There is a connection between her and Abby. Abby knows that Mia will try and get her the ball in a position where she can score. No one else on the team has that skill...not even Ally Wagner :). So, what happens to the Wombat after the last game on this tour?

Joy's back must still be hurting. She was on the bench, but did not play. Too bad; I would have liked to see her one more time.

Enough for now.

7. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see this post until after I got back. But I've got to agree with you on the The Reggae Hut. I found that Friday afternoon when I was puttering around the Museum District. That was some great jerk chicken. Nummy. I also enjoyed the Greek Restaurant/Deli I found just off Main St S. I'm blanking on the name, but that gyro I had for lunch was pretty damn good.

8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too enjoyed the game. Abby and Mia were in a zone during the 2nd half. Abby wanted to return the assist favor to Mia so badly the longer the half went on. LOL

I thought while CP is hella slow she is able to hang onto the ball for an eternity and draw several players to the corner with her to possibly give a teammate some space to crack a shot once she gets a pass off.

And I was also suprised by Rampone (always Piercie to me thou). That woman is a stud! I'm going to enjoy watching her, Reddick, and Markgraf gel on the back line. Just need to find someone who can fill the 4th slot once Brandi decides to hang up the cleats. Mitts didn't impress me much. Mia was feeding her some killer passes during the 2nd half that she did nada with.

9. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Jessica Maxwell is a name that you soon will recognize in D for the NATS. Not a prediction, but, barring injury, a certainty.