Wnt - 2005

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jbs01, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004

I watched the 2002 Game on tape at home at T'giving - Lucks beat Mia at about the 98th minut and Anny just beor the game ended

2. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Huh?

3. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Am agreeing with a post that said the 07 was going to need to be better/faster than past teams. A league and ongoing chance for players to play and develop would help them get better/faster.

4. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Gotcha. I said the 'winning' team in 2007 would be faster and better. Thought you were implying the USA would be that team, which wasn't what I meant. Not that it couldn't happen. Just a lot of rebuilding required before then.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From ESPN Soccernet's Marc Connolly....

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=320976&cc=5901

So barring any other radical, out-of-left-field type of personnel changes...if this is indeed true...does that mean Sobs (in a 4 back alignment) go alongside Reddick in the middle with Pearce or Mitts playing right. Maybe Chalupny moves into Lilly's spot??

6. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    That makes absolutely no sense at all to move Lilly to the back line. If that is true, they should fire April on the spot. Maybe it is just to get back at Chastain for trying to get her fired. Total nonsense!

7. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree totally. Lil played more minutes than anybody on the team except Boxx, Markgraf, and Reddick. She is still probably the most fit player on the team. She is at the top of her game. Excluding injury she could play at the peak for a few more years. She's a lock at that outside mid position. There is no logical reason for moving her. You only move someone if the person you are replacing them with is going to give you a significant improvement. As good as Chalupny looks, I don't see that being the case. What about moving her into Foudy's place on the other side? Is there anyone else who is waiting in the wings?

Another example of bad judgement by the queen of bad ideas...This team wins in spite of their coach.

8. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

I wasn't aware of this but, what did one of the German players say ?

9. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    We've been wasting on goal keeper development, there're actualy so many talent ( Hope Solo, Branam, Pagliarulo etc ) in this category but, we always worried about what's gonna happen if we were not putting Scurry between the sticks in every tournament.

10. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    everyone ( who are critical on this ) sees it in how the way we play, not the end result so, we rather win bronze in style than gold in set pieces' .. :D

11. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    Come on you guys. April captain the team to the first WWC didn't she? so she may know something about organizing a team. it just seem to me she is a radicle Coach, not your run of the mill kind. that may account for her strange and peculiar decisions on technics. not generally a bad coach. what I can't understand. the fans don't seem to want to face the fact you can't win all the big one just like that. you need a little luck you know. how long did it take that German Coach before she won a big one? April have a gold and silver olympic. and some impressed doubles in the four nations and algarve. what any body else got beside Norway? Germany that you want to think, but I know they have some big tournament in Europe. but what so importance about that when other countries from around the World don't take part? It not the case with the four nations or the Algarve cup. ps I haven't overlooked Tony or Anson for they contribution to the success of the team.

12. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Actually, I think it's a bunch of crap to say we'd rather win a bronze "in style"

I personally want us to win the gold in style - and I'll take the gold not in style if that's how it happens. If you're all about style, root for gymnastics (I won't even bring up the fact that NO ONE says that kind of crap about men's teams), you call Porto Champions of Europe not a boring bunch of cheats.

My objection to Ape (and I can't speak for anyone else) is that she struggles in the areas of coaching that will be most critical over the next three years - i.e. having a rational developmental plan for the team (and for identifying talent), building team chemistry (she's sucked at this everywhere she's coached despite her skills as a captain), and developing tactics that suit the players she selects (she's certainly taken the US backwards tactically from the DiCicco era).

13. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    (Like you said I myself can't speak for anyone else). I just would not except or believe in some poster views on these boards trying to be an authority on Women's soccer unless they have studied the history of the game. have pro experience Coaching a woman'steam. or a certified College coach.I don't have that much knowledge of the game. but I sensible to know no team can keep on an unbeaten streat for ever. most posters on these board can't seem to realize even through Tony had Akers and the 91ers. he still could not win them all. to them he could do no wrong. remember the WWC99 who save Tony? if Lil didn't dig out that chinese header herself. you all wouldn't be talking a lot of crap about April. what about Bri illegal save? that would have made Tony a two time looser of WWC. you already know he lost in 95. like one poster told me Akers suffer a concussion early in the tournament in 95 that why they lost. crap isn't it. some of you posters are just bias about your favorite player being cut and a lot of ignorant talk about the 91ers staying around too long. does you work who run the Business the kids or the oldters. does you just throw inexperience youngsters togather and just develop and have a successful group in short period of time? if all youngsters are on the field without extensive experience with no oldters of great experience to lead and show by example. what kind of transition you get? man I am gone!

14. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    What are you talking about I don't have any idea? are going to get a bunch of College and U21 and throw them togather and in a short period of time get a great team? is that what you have mind. I don't know if you do. what about having at least a few old ladies as most of you call them around to show them the ropes how it is done by example and leadership? does you run a ship with inexperience youngsters teaching themselves only? did you go to school were you teachers youngsters like you? Be objective not subjective? today we do know if there have not been an WUSA. there wouldn't have been a Wambach, Boxx,Mitts.Bivens or any body else. the only players who make it from out of College are Tarp and O'Reilly who make the NAT. the others players like Wamback,Boxx etc playing with international players in WUSA show caseing talent and developing it help saved USWNT team from disaster. blaming the old ladies is a lot of shortsightedness and pure crap? we need to get the WUSA back that the only solution we have in order to develop new blooded players. because they will be exposed to some of best iternational players from around the World period. ps I know if the WUSA don't make it back in two years time April will be forced to look for new blood from among the U21 and College camp. and a lot of fans are going crap of on her because she didn't choose this so and so player that they want to be on the team. I know some of you will crap of at me. no problem to me.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hm-- I would've said you only replace somebody if the person you are replacing them with is going to give you significant improvement. You move somebody, sometimes, if the person who replaces them is better than the person they replace...

In this case it would seem that the person being replaced is not exactly there-- Slaton not recovered, Brandi had trouble with her foot again in the last celebration game, and Kate moving inside to fill Joy's shoes. I would interpret this as an unwillingness to put Mitts on the left, or to move Pearce to the left, and a desire to extend Lil's career. If she wants to play through the next WWC this might be a chance to actually be on the field when it comes around.

And the "bad judgement" involved is awfully similar to another situation isn't it? Didn't some other WNT coach once move a star scorer to a d-mid? I don't remember tho' did that move work out? :D

I don't necessarily like the idea myself yet-- worried about height and the small frame adapting to a different kind of beating-- but it seems intriguing enough to be worth a look. It fills the emptiest space from the deepest part of our young talent bag.

16. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    Concur that team could play with more style. IMO that has to do more with coaching than players. Would love to see more goals during the run of play.

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was a completely different situation - Akers was suffering through CFS and Tony wanted to be able to keep her on the field the entire game by limiting her running - and she was able to intimidate the opposition just as well from that d-mid spot.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

Sure, the objectives were different-- but aren't there valid objectives which might be served by this move too? Getting more offense out of the left back position? Limiting Lil's running a bit to protect aging knees? Isn't the proof of the "judgement" in how it works out, not in how surprising we find the move?

As I say I'm not in love with the idea-- it just doesn't seem outrageous. We seem to have midfielders to spare, while the defense has been thinner than its numbers for a year and a half now. And Tony had forwards to spare at the time didn't he? In effect Akers replacement up front was Millbrett wasn't it? (I wasn't around at the time so I may be taking myth for history.)

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Read my post. 3 years is not a short period of time when it comes to player development.

20. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Dont worry, As long a APril is there, so will Hucles be there.

3 years is a short time, and with Coach K running the U-19 the players for him will be playing a completely different game than the "slot player A into position a, b, or c" type mentallity of April

She has no faith in pure role player (Surprised Parlow made the team)

Will will be fitter and faster than the opposition, but I think we will see a decline in SKILLs.

THe Beginning of last summer I was able to see the U-19 scrimmage a w-league team. I hope it was not there A team because they looked really bad.
    Coach K had just taken over the team at the time

(The Wildcats had torched the W-League team with 5 goals the previous weekend and the U-19's could not score)

21. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Frankly the continuing selection of Hucles (in deference to Andy) on its own is enough to justify firing Ape.

But without the sense of what people can add to the team outside the starting XI . . .

As for the fitness issue, I'm not convinced we'll simply be more injured (like the Chinese often are) - and I don't think Ape can counteract the growth of the game in this country. We'll continue to see skilled players, they just won't be able to play to their potential on this team.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I appreciate the use of real names. It's makes for better discourse.

I agree that Hucles has, unfortunately after early promise, proven to be a marginal NTer, at best. A very good WUSA player, but too inconsistent for regular callups in the international game.

23. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest problem I have with April is philosophical. We just have a different view of what soccer should be. She seems to think that you can dictate every motion on the field from the bench. They went away from some of the tactics of the WWC in the Olys (thank god), but in large part it was the same mechanical game. Her touch limits totally strangle any type of creativity. My view of the game is that it has to have freedom and flow. It's not a game that can be controlled from the sidelines.

Skilled players don't have the freedom to invent and be proactive.

24. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    The biggest problem I think is that the WNT is not training or playing any games. The many players hoping to be included on this team are in limbo.
    Do they go get a real job or hang on to the dream. This whole problem of contracts, coaches and waiting simply is not fair to these gals. And especially hard on the ones out of college and older than the U21 team. I just think back to the time with Jimmy Carter boycotted the Olympics and many deserving athletes missed their chance. I hope this doesn't happen to this group of athletes to miss their opportunity that many have dreamed, trained and sacrificed so much to attain. Wake up US Soccer and live up to your slogan, "Keep the Dream Alive."

25. noorwell

noorwell Member

Sep 15, 2003
    brooklyn,ny
    You didn't say how it will be done. with all the weak internationals and friendlys the last two year save for the WUSA and the WWC 03 also the olympic? are telling me you could just create a great team like that in 3 year without a few older players to show the way by example and leadership? what was the average age of the Germany team the last two years leading up to the WWC03? weren't it about the same as the USWNT? can you pray tell me how long it took them to get to peak of the women's soccer world? the only teams other than the USWNT where Norway but as for China they have never been number 1 in the world. even through they had been a great team. let wait around and see if Norway and China will be able to build a world class team in the next 3 years now all the olsters are gone.let's see if they with be able succeed in rebuilding the teams with the radical idea you advocated? I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out? if they succeed in doing so. I would believe you that it can be done with youngsters growing up togather.there will never be a successful team without some older players to balance the greater number of youngsters on any team. now the 91ers are gone in Julie,Mia and Joy with only Lilly around with a possible shot at the WWC07 and maybe the Olympics as Captain of the team??? we don'thave to rebuild much because the average age would from24 to 30 save Lil and some youngsters to teach.