WNBA question...

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Saltenya94, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    What is the future of this leauge like? I must admit I haven't followed the leauge, othen than read the odd report about its marketing, attendence.... I guess my question is more economic in nature, sponsors, payrolls, attendence, etc.

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    if the WNBA didn't have the NBA as a sponsor, it would have gone the way of the of the Women's soccer league. I think we're year 7 of the league, and after increasing attendence moderately in years 2-4, the league's had decreases each of the past couple of years.

The Sports Guy (espn.com) had a good column on the WNBA a couple of months ago, check out his archives, on the problems the league is having. I watch a fair amount of women's sports, and I have to agree with him on one point: for all that we talk about the better fundamentals in the women's game, which is true to a point, the shooting is equally poor as the men's game, and women have (to generalize here) real trouble grabbing rebounds.

3. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
  4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    No problem. I love reading columns that rip on the WNBA, so I had to go find this one. :)