Wmls

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by soccerbs, Jan 12, 2011.

1. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    http://www.wmls.us/#

Is anyone able to click on the posts and read the stories??

Trying to learn more about this glorified club league.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is very interesting. I recognize a couple of the coaching names other then Shek.

3. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Can you click and open the links to read the stories?

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccerbs, I think you have a reading comprehension problem. Or perhaps have conflated my posts with some others. Or something. Because your post makes little sense to me if it is to be a logical reply to my post.

A) You refer to Shek Borkowski as "my body [sic] Sheky B" I assume you meant to say "buddy." I have zero idea where you go the idea that Borkowski is my friend, buddy, or that I am even a fan. Search my posts. You'll see where, a while back, I asked about his previous coaching experience since the only items on his CV that I can find are w/ FC Indiana and Zvezda. I've never met him. His twitter and blog may make some points that I agree with but it is equally likely that I disagree w/ his statements. His general writing tone rubs me the wrong way but he's not the only person whose writing does that to me.

B) I may have misunderstood several of your posts and that you are not backing or interested in WMLS, whatever it is. If so, a friendly misunderstanding for which I apologize. I don't see why you had to get all het-up about it.

C) There is a difference between accountability and constant slagging off and negativity. Also, personal attacks of posters or WPS personnel and general attacks on the board here do not fall into the accountability category.

As for WMLS, I have no clue where you got the idea that I was supportive of it or even knew anything about it other than that it is new and in the "midwest" (whatever that means).

I think my question regarding the possibility of trademark infringement is a valid one. It seems really stupid to start a new venture with a name very close to that of a large business and think they won't notice your use of the brand identity. I imagine that when MLS lawyers get some free time, they'll have an intern drop a warning letter.

This new venture uses "Women's Major League Soccer" throughout the less than complete website. They're going to have a problem if they have not gotten MLS prior approval. If they are so shortsighted business-wise not to have already taken steps to protect themselves from such a lawyer visit, they're fools. MLS will have an easy time making their case. Pretty much any soccer person that sees WMLS is going to say (and check twitter, they've already said it) "Oh, is MLS starting a women's league?"

On the shield, having the female player silhouette face the opposite way from the WPS shield may save them from a visit from WPS lawyers.

I think that with both WLeague and WPSL (not to mention WPS) already in existence, there is not a need for a third DII women's league. How do they even get USSF approval? Serious question. Do they have USSF approval? And if so, when did that happen? If they have not received USSF approval, then players need to be wary. FIFA does not take kindly to leagues operating w/o their approval. If they did get USSF approval, wtf is going on in Chicago House that they feel 3 DII leagues (or will WMLS be DIII?) are ok?

They have a tag line in the twitter feed about being "An elite, promotion/relegation, women's soccer league" well, how does that work with only a handful of teams. And without separate USSF approval for multiple setups?

If the organizers have set this group up as a direct competitor to WLeague/WPSL I just don't see why (other than to keep the fees for themselves). Why fracture and fight for limited sponsorship and ticket revenue.

Their website does not provide any information about the league other than a list of teams and some article headlines which don't seem to have attached articles. In fact, several of the pages are just filler text for formating purposes. Many of the links are broken -- eg the story about Samir Yasa being appointed "WMLS Referees Supervisor" does not have a story attached to the headline. Pretty crappy website launch.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This "WMLS" seems to me strictly midwest regional.

And if I remember correctly, the Chicago Breeze last year played in the WPSL and had a former Red Star player or two like Michelle Weissenhofer.

7. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Breeze did have a team in the WPSL for several years, but not last year

http://www.wpsl.info/standings/

8. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    they were KUFC correct!

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.

Nice! I do not know about their 2nd division, are they semi-pro like the other 2 D2 leagues?

Summer league of full Spring to fall league?

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think most of us here know very little about this league.
    At this time it may be a little mole-hill made to be seemed into a mountain.

11. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Why have a web site that doesn't function???

The teams are some of the weak teams in the WPSL and W-League.

Why would you use MLS in your name...Why wouldn't you play in one of the existing leagues? FC Indiana fits in fine- They will spend a lot of money and win it all against very weak teams..Then they can say we won number 5!!

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when I think of "major league", I think of the top league in a sport. WPS is the top league in wsoc, so I thought this was challenging WPS.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that they do not yet have a 2nd division as they only have 6-8 teams.

Did you read my earlier post? I think we're in agreement w/ your 4 points I quoted here.

For as much as they may say they aren't trying to compete w/ WPS or WLeague or WPSL, I agree w/ you that their name indicates otherwise.

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The references to "Elite Division" suggests that they plan on having other, lesser divisions, but there's no evidence for them at this point.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This may be one of Shek's big dreams. He seems to always have big plans or ideas.
    As I said before, I thought I remember Peter Wilt saying somewhere that it was Shek Borkowski who actually started with the idea of a WPS team in Chicago and introduced him to primary owner Gary Weaver (who used to be the owner of FC Indiana) and that's how the ball started rolling that ended up becoming the Chicago Red Stars.

So we'll see if this becomes something or flops out.

16. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Womens Leagues USA

WPS
    W-League
    WPSL
    Club 23's- Summer
    Club 19's - Summer
    Club 18's- Year Round
    WMLS

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is probably a lot more city, small regional leagues in the USA, and lets not forget the NCAA and High School leagues.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the USSF approval process for women's leagues? And what sort of promises did WMLS make to get approval?

19. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Well since their website doesn't work who knows?? But in a time where women's pro soccer needs solidarity I think starting a new league is plan foolish and self serving.

There are enough leagues to hang your hat on.

20. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Mrad

I started this thread for all to be honest and upfront. You told me to go from the FC Indiana thread and I did! So please when conversation goes his way please don't be his mom.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't tell you to go away from the FC Indiana thread. I just said don't try to play the devil's advocate in trying to change someone's mind when they have their mind already set on liking something. It's not going to work mostly.

Second, what I said about Shek's "big dreams" is more tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic kinda stuff. I'm not trying to be anyon'e mom.

Please don't go into how I can like his blog comments and make comments like the one above. Please?!! I don't want to go into the explanation.

22. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  24. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Who is the spokes person for the League?? Shek? Who runs the league Shek?

Jeff asks the ? Do you think this model can make it?

Why not? You run it with amateurs or whatever type of player you want. Whats the cost ? Travel and Training?

The W-League has a long list of requirements that provides the league structure and professionalism. What are the game and team requirements of this league? Many teams in this league are very weak and set up a team with money like FC Indy to win easy. But soccer people know the game and its getting old.

This league is way below the top ten U18 club teams!

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From what it says there and I understood it to be that Jeff did not do the interview. That it was a sent to them as a press release.

Now, discussing this model may be fair and interesting.
    Would this be better then what the WPS has?