WM Spiel 1 - Deutschland gg Portugal - 16 Juni 2014

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Fussballer, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    -------------Neuer----------------
    Boateng---Merte----Hummels-Hoewedes
    ---Lahm------Khedira--------Kroos
    Muller-------Oezil----------Poldi

-------------Neuer----------------
    Boateng---Merte----Hummels-Hoewedes
    -------Lahm------Schweinie--------
    Muller------Kroos----------Goetze
    -------------Klose---------------

532(Holland) - Quite like this...
    ----------------Neuer------------
    ---------Merte--Hummel--Boateng--
    Lahm---------------------------Durm
    ------Kroos---------Schweinie-----
    --------------Oezil----------------
    ------Muller----------Schurrle-----

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I find it interesting that Löw said he does not consider quick, more offense-minded fullbacks to be needed in Brazil. The style of footy to be played down there would not require it. Höwedes and Boateng as natural CBs knew how to defend and that's enough.

Hummels said he loves the new type of Löw's tactics. Now he's allowed to play long passes as he does at BVB. Also giving the ball to the opponent to let them "burn themselves out" could be pretty useful.

Liquid1010 and Dhajj repped this.
  4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    While Cristiano Ronaldo's availability is a question mark, i wonder the purpose of Loew's latest statement in press conference

Why did he disclose the team's tactics during press conference. 4 CBs, Oezil up top and Lahm at DM? Seriously?

I thought DFB have very strict policy against this. they gave players some special mobile phones so they wont disclose the team's formation , starting lineup and tactics.

Or is Loew simply playing mind games? Oezil up top? Lahm at DM is all expected but now i suspect he is actually playng him at RV. I have no idea

5. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finally going to the counter attacking style.

A mix of both is what's needed

Cuppo and White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Honestly think Löw may have found the perfect solution with the more conservative defensive approach, just hope its not too late. Greater defensive cover with Boateng and Höwedes at RB and LB. Great security in midfield with Lahm, Khedira AND Kroos and suited to the counter with three interchangeable parts up front.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two games into the World Cup and Im missing the vuvuzelas sound!

dips82 and MatthausSammer repped this.
  8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem I have with Löw's approach to fullbacks is being a central defender does not equal being a good defensive FB. For one thing, defence as a FB is much more about pace, and I don't think Boateng and Höwedes have enough.

9. The Bavarian Oak

Apr 27, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hm… Not sure adding CBs at the fullback positions adds defensive cover. If anything it makes it slower and less capable of dealing with fast, technical wingers. It might help on set pieces.

3 interchangeable attackers up front has the potential to be brilliant if they are allowed flexibility in their positioning. If they are made to stick to strictly predefined roles as LW, ST, and RW it will be nothing to write home about.

EXACTLY, thank you!

Adding more CBs at RB and LB ≠ defensive stability.

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Who do we have at fullback? Starting Grosskreutz and Durm?

Expereince is vital at this level. Especially for defenders more than Attackers. Almost all coaches admit expereince is more important for defenders nowadays

And we can't deny the fact that Hoewedes is actually not a bad player.

Would love to have Lasogga up top though. Now we have this mobile forwards but some directness is needed. Mueller is ok but now he has changed his game a bit; Oezil has some serious finishing issue; Podolski is one-dimensional; lets hope Schuerrle can play better in the middle

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But for Löw conservative approach they are fine. At least that's what he claims he has in mind. Maybe he finally adapted to the team.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So will the FBs act like CBs then? In which case, good luck with width. Or will the FBs act somewhat like FBs? In which case, it would probably be better to put actual FBs in there.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably a mixture of both.

14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess we will find out pretty soon how and if the four CB line works. Im a sceptic but willing to say I was wrong if it does work after all.

15. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I reckon Loews playing mind games, he's gonna play durm at leftback

16. MadJensLehmann

Jun 14, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Think Durm is ready for this. After all, he had a better time against cr7 than Höwedes did this season.

Had Bale and Robben in his pocket near the end of the season. Not looking forward to 4 CBs in Loew's back 4 for us. Interesting and Crazy, to say the least..Hope I'm proved wrong.

17. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well at least the Dutch showed that possession and ticki tacka football is not the way to go.. So Loew has got that one right

18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Completely agree, durm is a must as he's a proper full back plus he's had champions league experience, reckon these r mind games from loew anyways

19. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #94 Cuppo, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    I agree that just Tiki-Taka won't work but Netherlands played a mix of both counter-attack and also possession style in the second half. Mainly Germany shouldn't depend on playing one certain style the whole time like Bayern and Spain did. I'm like possession yes, direct yes, Tiki-Taka very few. So let them have possession too, why not? Variety is what you need in the World Cup.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Milorad Mažić appointed for ref.

-- 1st major tournament
    -- reffed the 3:0 vs Austria in Munich and Dortmunds 1:0 @ ManCity
    -- manager of a meat-processing factory :confused:

21. Cuppo

Cuppo Member+

May 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

22. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    Ronaldo is too fast for mertesacker, i think germany should use boeteng and howedes on cb and rb to block off any threat on this side

23. MadJensLehmann

Jun 14, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Boateng will have Ronaldo in his pocket all game!

Think you are underrating per.

On Mertesacker:He's def.not the quickest but excellent positioning.Could work out!Per is a lot better than Höwedes.

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very good SZ article on Löw's 4 CBs(will only translate the important parts):

"Löw has the reputation to put rather one Özil more than one too few on the field and now he comes to a WC with a defense that is as filigree as an oxcart."

"The obvious lack of world class fullbacks lead Löw to the suprising conclusion: if he switches the best fullback (Lahm) into midfield and there is nobody else he will field no fullbacks at all. He just fields a line of centerbacks, two of whom play on the outside. Boateng does not like it but does play it rather well, Höwedes does not like it either but also does not play it as good as Boateng. Boateng is a proven emergency solution on the right while Höwedes on the left is an unproven emergencyemergeny solution."

"He wants to lead German football into the future or better what he thinks of the future. But the respect for the primal forces of this WC and the first opponent Portugal is so big that he prefers to play with four Scharzenbecks."

"Löw knows that he has to come up with an idea if he wants to afford further up front the likes of Özil, Kroos, Podolski or Götze. All the players who when talent was handed out stood so long in the queue for the feel for the ball that the counter for defensive behaviour had closed too early for them. These players do not have eyes for what is happening behind them. But opponent players moving into those gaps are supposed to dash against a pack of Scharzenbecks. "Centerbacks know the importance of closing the center" Löw said, they shall move in the space once Khedira or Kroos leave it open and e.g. Ronaldo moves into the center from the flank."

"For tackling as well as for set-pieces it could be "a great advantage to have four centerbacks on the field" Löw said - the same Löw who so far only protestingly accepted tacklings and set-pieces as integral parts of football."

Kirsten19 repped this.
  25. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "All the players who when talent was handed out stood so long in the queue for the feel for the ball that the counter for defensive behaviour had closed too early for them."

LOL. This is seriously the most whimsical (best) piece of writing I've read about football since the World Cup started.

White/Blue_since1860 repped this.